What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And if Day doesn't score that garbage-time touchdown the scores are only off by one TD.

I understand you're not trying to draw an equivalence between Nebraska and Penn State, but you make a point that I also thought of - and that's that we are possibly trending in the right direction.

Now we just need to keep building on that and keep getting better. "Day by day," as the saying goes.

The difference in the games come down to the fumbles... esp the one by AM.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And if Day doesn't score that garbage-time touchdown the scores are only off by one TD.

I understand you're not trying to draw an equivalence between Nebraska and Penn State, but you make a point that I also thought of - and that's that we are possibly trending in the right direction.

Now we just need to keep building on that and keep getting better. "Day by day," as the saying goes.

Watching the game, the announcers mentioned something about not knowing how OSU "is" until they play PSU.....IMHO, that game last night showed as much about NU as it did OSU.  OSU is as advertised.  Duh.  But NU, again IMHO, is much improved over last year.  Getting guys to not make the mental errors, know the scheme better is much easier than asking them to be "more athletic"......As you said.  Day by day...

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, knapplc said:

And the Huskers don't have receivers making plays like this to bail the offense out:

• Plus1 4

I wanted to add this last week but forgot.  I was so amped for the OSU game that I literally stood in my living room for the whole first quarter.  Then just stood when the defense was on the field for the rest of the game.  Am I the only one who did/does this?  Let me remind you its just me and my wife watching the game, she is a UNL graduate, and yes she thinks I am slightly crazy.  

• Haha 2

I also thought that Day was experimenting more with playcalling against PSU than he did against Nebraska.  He appeared willing to run plays he knew his OL was struggling to block to give them practice reps for the sake of practice, while against Nebraska I think he was more focused on calling the plays that worked (targeting the mismatches in his favour).  Overall I thought both our DL and OL performed better than PSU's, but their talent at WR gave them an ability to compete against OSU in the passing game that we simply didn't/don't have yet.  The one thing I will say is that if OSU faces an opponent with elite DB's, their lack of an exceptional run game this year could put them in a position for an upset.

3 hours ago, CAHusker said:

I wanted to add this last week but forgot.  I was so amped for the OSU game that I literally stood in my living room for the whole first quarter.  Then just stood when the defense was on the field for the rest of the game.  Am I the only one who did/does this?  Let me remind you its just me and my wife watching the game, she is a UNL graduate, and yes she thinks I am slightly crazy.  

I used to be this way.  Now, I'm more mellow.  But...I will say I chugged about three beers in the first quarter against OSU.  I think one went down in about 10 seconds after Luke's long run and then the TD.

Ive been away from the board for a while and always enjoy reading the takes on the game. I wanted to win the game.  But we looked much improved. I do think a couple tune up games would have seriously helped. With that said, I remember Stafford and Pelini yelling at each other on the sideline and felt embarrassed as a fan. If you read their lips, not good. One moment that made me feel so much better about this team was seeing the passion. No one quit or rolled over. But the scene of the kid crying after being ejected, really spoke volumes to me. It actually felt like they cared.  

GBR

• Plus1 1