What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

What we have been missing the most is actually throwing the ball down field. I get we don't have the best personnel yet for this but it has to happen. I better see it next week. Even if we just toss in Brown or Flemming to run a fly and see what happens. It sucks big time that Manning isn't going to be helping us any time soon. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I get that, but playing 12 yards off and immediately back peddling, at that point it’s just pitch and catch.   Maybe worth trying for a half or so and see if Fields is on target or line is getting a rush.  But when a QB is 14-15, strategy needs to be changed.   Sell out more on Blitzes and make him throw over the top under pressure to score.  
The coverage Nebraska put out today was just basically saying “we know you are going to score, just do it a little slower”.   That’s not good enough in my mind. 

I totally agree and made the comment to friends that 2e were saving blitz for second half to show them something different.  Surprised we didn't try to jump some routes. My point us that we were just out talented and it showed.  This strategy of 15 off the line will not happen and/or fly the rest of the way.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I totally agree and made the comment to friends that 2e were saving blitz for second half to show them something different.  Surprised we didn't try to jump some routes. My point us that we were just out talented and it showed.  This strategy of 15 off the line will not happen and/or fly the rest of the way.

Imagine thinking Chinander will change. I've watched this turd defense for two straight seasons and no changes. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

That’s a combination of things in my opinion.

There wasn’t a lot of pressure that forced fields to move around.  They had several routes that were like pics/rubs.  I saw a few times were the DBs seemed to be in zone and they lost guys in between zones.  There were a few times where there were post like routes and the DB either had no help or the help was late.

Our gameplan going into today was very clearly to load up against the run and not get beat deep. Since we aren't really a competent enough defense to stop everything Ohio State can do I thought it was a smart to pick things to take away. OSU's eight NFL receivers made us pay for that but I'm not really shocked or upset by that.

• Plus1 1

In a sense, that game went how I expected.  I figured it would be close throughout most of the first half and OSU would pull away late. But, it seemed like keeping it close early had more to do with Nebraska playing well than it did OSU playing poorly.  So I'll take that as a positive and hope we build off of it. 

Still not seeing what the Chinander folks see in that guy.  I think we're doomed to be mediocre at best until Frost hired a real DC.

• Plus1 1
Just now, The Dude said:

In a sense, that game went how I expected.  I figured it would be close throughout most of the first half and OSU would pull away late. But, it seemed like keeping it close early had more to do with Nebraska playing well than it did OSU playing poorly.  So I'll take that as a positive and hope we build off of it. 

Still not seeing what the Chinander folks see in that guy.  I think we're doomed to be mediocre at best until Frost hired a real DC.

Chin is straight garbage and has been since he was at ucf, hopefully frost makes a change here

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Aside from the 2 TO's and the BS penalties, that was a pretty solid outing by NU.  I think the old "waiting for the pther shoe to drop" was always present, but didn't surface like it did in other games last season.  

Until we get a DC that has the mindset of "beating teams on his own" we will continue to struggle.  He (and Frost)need to put as much emphasis on the D winning games as they do on the O scoring tons of points to win......I did not see any adjustments, no real blitzing.  The DL did hold up well.  JoJo did well, but we do not have DB's that can man up NFL caliber receivers.  And I did not see Chin changing up to help them out.....Of course, Frost implementing a system that is not predicated on boom or bust would also help the D.......But that is never changing.

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Setting the bar high for him next week. Cannot let a young QB, mediocre run game and less talented team abuse you. We should be expecting to handle them on defense next week, it is year 3 after all. 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Plz lord, I wanna see what we have here. Find someone that can get separation. 

so much this!  Its not like we are dealing with a bunch of walk-ons at that position, there are four freekn four star receivers from last years class.  How can Ohio State have freshman receivers making plays, and we just cant seem to get anyone close to Stanley Morgan.  I know, I know I sound like a broken record.

Now for something positive, how good does Ty Robinson look!  That is a man right there, and he's a redshirt freshman.  We are looking at a B10 first team next year I bet.  Actually, nice game by the DLine as a whole. 

• Plus1 3