Young players/Backups

Aliens05

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is what people are missing.  I would like to see guys making big catches as well.  But that's 4-5 plays per game.  We ran the ball 36 times yesterday (probably skewed by lack of receiving threats) and threw it 20.  If we get bad blocking plays like McCaffrey's 47 yard run go for 6.  

This x1000. In this offense WRs have to block. We test the defenses on all fronts and edges if they can't block we can't expose our speed on the perimeter.

• Plus1 1

Just now, DefenderAO said:

Are the likes of OSU just getting the mire talented kids that are also better learners? Are their programmatic standards not high enough where their kids play early and ours are stuck with a dunce cap or cross eyed trying to learn the playbook?

The injuries are one thing, but I can’t believe the OSU, Bama, Clemson kids are that much more amenable to cultural adaptation or better at studying the playbook than our kids; unless the standards are just different or the playbook is too complex. I do agree Frost can’t make exceptions in behavior or you break a foundation. But there has to be a way to get the young talent on the field. Because what is happening now, through many of the current skill positioned players, isn’t working. 

NU looked different yesterday in a good way.  I liked more of what I saw than the previous two years. There are gaps for sure. But we have closed some other holes. What is going to be exceedingly frustrating is if lesser talented teams expose us in the same ways like Wisky and our DBs next week. Or stupid fumbles and penalties. Or getting beaten handily by a Penn State where we point to a loss to IU two weeks earlier and are sitting there confounded...

We need some big wins and improvement.  Can’t keep with the narrative of dumb mistakes that can be fixed etc etc. 

The reasons that the talent that Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, and other top programs are getting is so good is because they have amazing physical abilities, but also great football acumen.  Those programs also have their culture established.

Now, NU has to take chances on guys who may be uber-talented, but have fallen down out of favor with the top teams for a variety of reasons.  Everyone loved Zavier Betts' athleticism, but he was known to have grade issues in high school, and there could be problems grasping the offense at NU.  There are different reasons why kids end up at JUCO's, but many of them are there because they were at a D-1 program and did something to get booted or forced to leave the team.  Some kids learn from that experience and get better from it (see Dedrick Mills).  A lot of kids never mature and are still knuckleheads coming out of JUCO.  I don't watch Last Chance U anymore, but the 2 or 3 seasons I did, I was amazed at the immaturity of those kids on that show.

1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

What speed?  All our speed is sitting the bench. 

Idk if you saw Adrian, Luke, Robinson, and even Thompkins out ran some defenders.tOSU is an elite team with elite speed. We will out pace the lower tier teams in the conference from now on.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The reasons that the talent that Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, and other top programs are getting is so good is because they have amazing physical abilities, but also great football acumen.  Those programs also have their culture established.

Now, NU has to take chances on guys who may be uber-talented, but have fallen down out of favor with the top teams for a variety of reasons.  Everyone loved Zavier Betts' athleticism, but he was known to have grade issues in high school, and there could be problems grasping the offense at NU.  There are different reasons why kids end up at JUCO's, but many of them are there because they were at a D-1 program and did something to get booted or forced to leave the team.  Some kids learn from that experience and get better from it (see Dedrick Mills).  A lot of kids never mature and are still knuckleheads coming out of JUCO.  I don't watch Last Chance U anymore, but the 2 or 3 seasons I did, I was amazed at the immaturity of those kids on that show.

I have had this exact discussion a thousand times with my friends that are fans but don’t follow recruiting closely.  We have to pull out all the stops to get a guy like Wan’Dale, whom I love, but Ohio State gets multiple Wandales.  Washington, Manning and Betts are probably as talented anyone out there, but as you mentioned above, can be a risk, of course Washington is gone.   Hopefully, it starts to work itself out and the talent starts to rise as the season progresses.  

One other frustrating observation.  I think it was Arkansas State in Frosts first year. I remember noticing that they had more talent at the defensive end and taller,  more athletic receivers , just frustrating.  

i feel going forward, Nebraska will stay focused on offensive line recruitment.  We will always be able to find talented interior defensive lineman, linebackers, running backs and defensive backs, but tall athletic defensive ends and elite speed receivers with length are just hard to find and get.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I have had this exact discussion a thousand times with my friends that are fans but don’t follow recruiting closely.  We have to pull out all the stops to get a guy like Wan’Dale, whom I love, but Ohio State gets multiple Wandales.  Washington, Manning and Betts are probably as talented anyone out there, but as you mentioned above, can be a risk, of course Washington is gone.   Hopefully, it starts to work itself out and the talent starts to rise as the season progresses.  

One other frustrating observation.  I think it was Arkansas State in Frosts first year. I remember noticing that they had more talent at the defensive end and taller,  more athletic receivers , just frustrating.  

i feel going forward, Nebraska will stay focused on offensive line recruitment.  We will always be able to find talented interior defensive lineman, linebackers, running backs and defensive backs, but tall athletic defensive ends and elite speed receivers with length are just hard to find and get.  

It's unfortunate and frustrating that guys like Houston and Nance are turning out to be non-contributors.  I applaud the staff for recognizing this and currently have 3 big-bodied receivers committed in the '21 class.  The staff is also being creative with moving Hickman to WR, and following up by recruiting 3 tight ends in the '21 class, although the kid from Prep could end up moving to DE down the road.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's unfortunate and frustrating that guys like Houston and Nance are turning out to be non-contributors.  I applaud the staff for recognizing this and currently have 3 big-bodied receivers committed in the '21 class.  The staff is also being creative with moving Hickman to WR, and following up by recruiting 3 tight ends in the '21 class, although the kid from Prep could end up moving to DE down the road.

Did you catch Klatts statement about Kade Warner?  He said something on the lines that he is our best receiver, I remember saying out loud, “god no”!  I do think Kade is a good player , and he will benefit from injecting more talent and speed on the field, but he better not be our best receiver.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Did you catch Klatts statement about Kade Warner?  He said something on the lines that he is our best receiver, I remember saying out loud, “god no”!  I do think Kade is a good player , and he will benefit from injecting more talent and speed on the field, but he better not be our best receiver.  

Yes, nothing against Kade, but having him as NU's "best receiver" is not ideal.  He should be a solid option as the 3rd WR or possession receiver on short 3rd down passes.

3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Are the likes of OSU just getting the more talented kids that are also better learners? Are their programmatic standards not high enough where their kids play early and ours are stuck with a dunce cap or cross eyed trying to learn the playbook?

The injuries are one thing, but I can’t believe the OSU, Bama, Clemson kids are that much more amenable to cultural adaptation or better at studying the playbook than our kids; unless the standards are just different or the playbook is too complex. I do agree Frost can’t make exceptions in behavior or you break a foundation. But there has to be a way to get the young talent on the field. Because what is happening now, through many of the current skill positioned players, isn’t working. 

NU looked different yesterday in a good way.  I liked more of what I saw than the previous two years. There are gaps for sure. But we have closed some other holes. What is going to be exceedingly frustrating is if lesser talented teams expose us in the same ways like Wisky and our DBs next week. Or stupid fumbles and penalties. Or getting beaten handily by a Penn State where we point to a loss to IU two weeks earlier and are sitting there confounded...

We need some big wins and improvement.  Can’t keep with the narrative of dumb mistakes that can be fixed etc etc. 

The reason yesterday looked different mainly because we are starting to see the fruits of redshirting and S&C.

Recruiting is improving, but we are not landing true freshman talent like an Ohio State or Alabama 

We look greatly improved from a physical standpoint on both lines of scrimmage.  That alone means we finally have an opportunity to win against any remaining opponent.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The reason yesterday looked different mainly because we are starting to see the fruits of redshirting and S&C.

Recruiting is improving, but we are not landing true freshman talent like an Ohio State or Alabama 

We look greatly improved from a physical standpoint on both lines of scrimmage.  That alone means we finally have an opportunity to win against any remaining opponent.

I think we looked better yesterday, against a potential NC, than we did in games last year.  We get the receiver position fixed up and we will look a lot better.  I'd still like the DB's to not play so far off, but that's me.

5 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

If Frost expects our receivers to block like Osborne's receivers back in the day then we will never have a legit passing game.   I agree that they need to block to help out our running game and the 10,000 sideline passes we seem to throw but we are really limiting our offense as a whole if our faster receivers aren't playing because they aren't the best at blocking.   If we want to start beating some of these better defenses then we will need to start throwing down field and opening things up.  

Nobody said they have to be the best blockers - but if they don't own the concept in practice then next man up - culture wins. 

• Plus1 3
22 hours ago, CAHusker said:

Klatt made a bold statemnent that is not true - too much has been put into talent as captains - 2020 captains have more to do with culture then talent.