Young players/Backups

Aliens05

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Miller is better than Barry.  Barry is one of the worst starters NU has had.

On the "Play they guys with talent even if they are not doing things that are expected of them"

I agree...play them.  I will say this though, I had one team with two really good players and I gave them a ton of room to d!(k around, to skip practice because they were "hurt" and s#!t like that...I still played them because they were my two best players...

And you know what, we sucked a$$ that year.  So while I wanted them to play because they were me best players...I probably made a big mistake.

Also, one was an a$$h@!e and the other I actually liked.

So were their moms hot?

• Plus1 2

I also wasn't really bothered by his angles. I only really remember the TD from Fields, but on that one I think he was expecting a corner or safety to be outside to help. I doubt he expected tp flat out catch Fields with that angle, he was just trailing to get him on the cutback that never had to happen. Then tried to adjust once he saw no one was out there, making it look like a terrible initial angle. Also he is slow though, so he could've angled for the pylon and he's not making that stop.

I thought he played well, but tackling Fields with that much open field is a losing battle for most LBs. A lot could've gotten closer but it is what it is. The next game against Wisconsin is a better fit for Miller, and if he plays like he did last week he'll be solid. Last year he was part of the problem, but the only play resembling last year I remember was the TD from the RB before half - and he still was almost where he needed to be, unlike last year.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, huskerfan702 said:

Miller just doesn’t have the instincts for the position. I give the staff credit for being patient with the depth chart and letting guys grow into themselves but he’s one person I just don’t see the reason he’s been able to stick around so long he’s a special teams player at best

He was recruited here as a 4-3 defensive end, so he is probably not going to be good in space. But he is playing because coaches feel he is the best option. When people talk about a rebuild and lack of talent, this is what they're talking about -- not having to play 4-3 ends at inside linebacker because you have no one else. 

• Plus1 3

Again, I don't feel like I can make a major judgment on Miller being some kind of liability this season until we play the teams that are closer to us in ability level.

What I saw constantly last year was our LBs not staying in their fit and overrunning plays. If Miller plays the position smart, I think he'll play well; he has a ton of experience and he's strong.

@J-MAGIC's explanation is pretty much perfect.

Miller and Honas ended up playing the entire game (until garbage time).  I don't think that's what the staff really wants to do.  They wanted to have four guys rotate at the ILB spots.  But then they ended up moving Henrich to OLB, probably because they are just trying to find anyone who can be a difference-maker there.  Then Reimers got hurt.  And the other guys aren't ready for prime time yet.

So what was a four-man rotation went to three then just two.  Hopefully Reimers is back soon and we can split that up a little better.  Reimers looked really good in limited action last year.  And maybe giving the others a little break will help as well.