Ohio State Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That was a pass Warner could have caught, not one he should have caught.  That was high, hot and behind him.  That's on Martinez for throwing a pretty poor pass to a receiver that was that open.

You're a power 5 wide receiver, and a captain.  A ball you have two hands on has to be caught.  This argument that every pass has to be absolutely perfect needs to stop.  We will never beat top teams with that line of thinking.

• Plus1 7

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You're a power 5 wide receiver, and a captain.  A ball you have two hands on has to be caught.  This argument that every pass has to be absolutely perfect needs to stop.  We will never beat top teams with that line of thinking.

It wasn't a great throw, and it did hit Warner in the hands.  There are faults on both sides there.  The big thing is that Warner probably should have settled down in the open area once he cleared the defenders instead of continuing his route towards the middle of the field and into defenders.  QB's are taught to throw passes away from defenders, and that's why the pass from Martinez looked even more off-target than it actually was.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Yeah, I definitely made that argument.  You can tell by the part where I never made anything resembling that argument.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I definitely made that argument.  You can tell by the part where I never made anything resembling that argument.

You said it wasn't one he should have caught, but could have. I am saying he absolutely should have as a P5 captain with two hands on the ball. That was the point I was trying to make, and to not just expect only perfect passes to be in the "should catch" category.  

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

That was a pass Warner could have caught, not one he should have caught.  That was high, hot and behind him.  That's on Martinez for throwing a pretty poor pass to a receiver that was that open.

Suprised that this is the first i have heard this take on this board.  I just watched the game for the second time (win or lose i always enjoy the second watching cause my i'm more calm and see somethings that were missed in the live version) the announcers said little about the receiver and a lot about the ball thrown.

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

You said it wasn't one he should have caught, but could have. I am saying he absolutely should have as a P5 captain with two hands on the ball. That was the point I was trying to make, and to not just expect only perfect passes to be in the "should catch" category.  

Martinez has struggled for 2 years and 1 game with controlling the pace on passes and this is a prime example.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Martinez has struggled for 2 years and 1 game with controlling the pace on passes and this is a prime example.

If he'd have thrown it softer and it was picked off he'd be getting criticized for not fitting it in there. He worked his progression, Warner flashed opened in a window and he put it in to him. He probably put too much on it, but that's a catch a power 5 starter has to make. I've never heard a top receiver say the QB threw it too hard. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Thanks, I figured out the problem. The full game video I was looking at is missing a chunk of the game from 4:54 to 3:56 of the third quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPasQzD7Vt03VC9ZAflLe9A

I subscribe to this channel as they post full game replays that are 40 minutes long.  Just cuts to the next play and lets me re-watch a couple times each week if I want.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

If that’s your logic then the P5 captain with a Wide Open receiver in the end zone should have hit him in the chest with the football.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If he'd have thrown it softer and it was picked off he'd be getting criticized for not fitting it in there. He worked his progression, Warner flashed opened in a window and he put it in to him. He probably put too much on it, but that's a catch a power 5 starter has to make. I've never heard a top receiver say the QB threw it too hard. 

Or we could also say, that’s a throw a power 5 starter has to make.  Can’t get much more open in the end zone when the team is that close and not much room to work with.  

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, ScarletRevival said:

The pass could have been better but as someone pointed out earlier every pass doesn't have to be perfect.

You get 2 hands on a ball you have to make that catch.

The hardest catch in football for a receiver  is running across field and reaching back and high for a ball that’s behind you.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Or teams ability and talent is ever fluctuating.  It's nice to see or fan base, in general, remains unrealistic lol.  We aren't beating ohio state with our roster unless we catch some breaks.  We didn't catch any and actually ohio state did.  See tipped ball completion, scoop and score perfect bounce, etc.  That said, we are a lot closer than we were last year.  We are headed in the right direction, even at receiver.  Those that are negative, chill out and rewatch the game.  It's close and I believe the results will show soon.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1