Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

We rushed for 210 yards yesterday against Ohio State and had 370 total yards. When Wisconsin faced off against the Buckeyes in the B1G title game last year (with a back that is sixth all-time in NCAA rushing yards), they ran for 200 yards against the Bucks.  For comparison in our game against OSU last season, we only mustered 231 total yards of offense.

I saw some improvement on offense. They'll probably take this video down soon and I can't make a GIF of it because those GIF making sites require the original video to be like less than 10 minutes, but click play below and it'll start on the first play of our third drive. Cam Jurgens drives his man back and then pancakes him, and then he gives him a little extra 'f you' at the end, love it:

That's the kind of Husker football I want to see more of.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

We rushed for 210 yards yesterday against Ohio State and had 370 total yards. When Wisconsin faced off against the Buckeyes in the B1G title game last year (with a back that is sixth all-time in NCAA rushing yards), they ran for 200 yards against the Bucks.  For comparison in our game against OSU last season, we only mustered 231 total yards of offense.

I saw some improvement on offense. They'll probably take this video down soon and I can't make a GIF of it because those GIF making sites require the original video to be like less than 10 minutes, but click play below and it'll start on the first play of our third drive. Cam Jurgens drives his man back and then pancakes him, and then he gives him a little extra 'f you' at the end, love it:

Also on that play, Benhart shows his athleticism by pulling and getting onto the LB.  That drive started out promising by getting a first down on the very first play.  Unfortunately, Adrian had that issue with his helmet, McCaffrey came in and NU went backwards on 1st and 2nd down.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also on that play, Benhart shows his athleticism by pulling and getting onto the LB.  That drive started out promising by getting a first down on the very first play.  Unfortunately, Adrian had that issue with his helmet, McCaffrey came in and NU went backwards on 1st and 2nd down.

Yep. We did have a perfect punt and touched it down on their 6 - nice to see those better special teams moments.

Our fourth drive:

1. Wide screen to Wan'Dale, +4 yards.

2. QB Wrap up the middle by McCaffrey for 3 yards.

3. Awesome pass protection by our line, Martinez hits Stoll over the middle for 15 yards and a first down.

4. Play action deep 50/50 ball to the sideline by Martinez to Vokolek, incomplete.

5. Inside zone handoff to Mills across the B gap, Farniok & Benhart both own their assignments and big hole for Dedrick, +8 yards.

6. McCaffrey in the shotgun runs a draw for +5 yards.

7. I-formation with Mills as FB and Wan'Dale as I-back, FB Trap to Mills for +4 yards.

8. Martinez in the shotgun, designed roll out to his right, Austin Allen springs wide open for +27 yards. Perfect play call here by Frost as we were muscling them inside and they probably thought we were just going to keep doing that. I wish I could create a GIF of this play because it's a thing of beauty; Allen starts out on the left side of the line, sort of in the Pistol almost and then sweeps across the right, chips a quick block, then gets wide open down the sideline.

9. Martinez zone read keeper outside, good speed by Adrian, +8 yards.

10. Martinez zone read keeper again, picks up the first down, +3 yards.

11. 1st & goal from the 3. We shift into this formation but then run Mills up the middle for the TD:

image.png.6e6f3700883ce35358093c8e7a853d7b.png

You don't need to know X's & O's to know what happened on this drive - our offensive line kicked their a** and drove 'em back on every play. On our passing plays, Adrian didn't have a guy in his face about to sack him.

That literally makes all the difference in the world.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Yep. We did have a perfect punt and touched it down on their 6 - nice to see those better special teams moments.

Our fourth drive:

1. Wide screen to Wan'Dale, +4 yards.

2. QB Wrap up the middle by McCaffrey for 3 yards.

3. Awesome pass protection by our line, Martinez hits Stoll over the middle for 15 yards and a first down.

4. Play action deep 50/50 ball to the sideline by Martinez to Vokolek, incomplete.

5. Inside zone handoff to Mills across the B gap, Farniok & Benhart both own their assignments and big hole for Dedrick, +8 yards.

6. McCaffrey in the shotgun runs a draw for +5 yards.

7. I-formation with Mills as FB and Wan'Dale as I-back, FB Trap to Mills for +4 yards.

8. Martinez in the shotgun, designed roll out to his right, Austin Allen springs wide open for +27 yards. Perfect play call here by Frost as we were muscling them inside and they probably thought we were just going to keep doing that. I wish I could create a GIF of this play because it's a thing of beauty; Allen starts out on the left side of the line, sort of in the Pistol almost and then sweeps across the right, chips a quick block, the gets wide open.

9. Martinez zone read keeper outside, good speed by Adrian, +8 yards.

10. Martinez zone read keeper again, picks up the first down, +3 yards.

11. 1st & goal from the 3. We shift into this formation but then run Mills up the middle for the TD:

image.png.6e6f3700883ce35358093c8e7a853d7b.png

You don't need to know X's & O's to know what happened on this drive - our offensive line kicked their a** and drove 'em back on every play.

Great recap of the drive.  I was driving during half of that drive so I was listening to the radio call.  I will have to go back and watch that drive on TV.

Regarding that screen grab of the TD play.  I think Adrian's pre-snap read is the 3rd defender from the top of the screen.  If he is closer to the middle of the field, Adrian will flip the ball out to Allen who has 2 blockers ahead of him.  Also, since it's first down, maybe the coaches are telling him to run the ball no matter what, and the mere threat of the grouping of WR's creates additional space for the run.  I don't remember the exact play after that, if it was a zone read, or straight give to Mills.  Either way, you are right in that the offensive line did own the LOS on that drive.

• Plus1 1

What really was the breaking point of us not sticking with them was the fifth drive; our offensive line doesn't block well, we get driven back from our 20 to our 10, give them a short field and then they score again to go up by 10 at halftime.

If we could have just at least gotten two first downs, drained some clock, and then pinned them a bit deeper to keep it to 17-14 at halftime it would have been great.

Then Martinez fumbles in the second half and they get the scoop & score and the game was completely over.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Undone said:

What really was the breaking point of us not sticking with them was the fifth drive; our offensive line doesn't block well, we get driven back from our 20 to our 10, give them a short field and then they score again to go up by 10 at halftime.

If we could have just at least gotten two first downs, drained some clock, and then pinned them a bit deeper to keep it to 17-14 at halftime it would have been great.

Then Martinez fumbles in the second half and they get the scoop & score and the game was completely over.

Was that drive started with the delay of game right out of the break???  If so, that was the moment that doomed that possession.  That has happened far too often with this staff.  Unforced error.  Take the TO to keep from starting the drive behind the sticks.  

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Was that drive started with the delay of game right out of the break???

I don't think so, I think they just stopped us for a loss on three straight running plays. At least Frost has learned his lesson to not actually try to throw on those 3rd & super long plays and throw a pick.

Actually we were only down by 10 because of that at halftime, but then of course when we gave them the scoop & score in the 3rd quarter off of Martinez's fumble we were done.

Martinez played really well in the game aside from that fumble.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Martinez was 12/15 throwing, which is an 80% completion rate. IMO Warner probably should have caught that ball in the end zone and Adrian would have been 13/15 with one TD pass.

People can say that Adrian was mainly just hitting shorter passes, but who cares? 80% completion rate is great.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 4
4 hours ago, Undone said:

Very good point - NU dominated the line on that play and tempo would have stayed high. Instead we have to switch qbs and OSU gambles bringing the house followed by a poor snap exchange.

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

Martinez was 12/15 throwing, which is an 80% completion rate. IMO Warner probably should have caught that ball in the end zone and Adrian would have been 13/15 with one TD pass.

People can say that Adrian was mainly just hitting shorter passes, but who cares? 80% completion rate is great.

It would have been nice to see kade catch that ball - but Martinez has no business throwing it that hard from the 4 yard line.

56 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Was that drive started with the delay of game right out of the break???  If so, that was the moment that doomed that possession.  That has happened far too often with this staff.  Unforced error.  Take the TO to keep from starting the drive behind the sticks.  

2 TO's on the books when that happened.  And no one noticed.  That has also gotta stop.  Even if it means assigning a coach to watch the clock.  No reason to get that penalty yesterday.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s called a quick slant, not a lob slant. 

Call it what you want but quick slants hit you in the numbers not above the head.  You are also missing the definition of quick slant it has to do with the depth of the route and the time that the qb releases the ball after the snap.  That looked like a catcher expecting a low slider inside and getting the high rising fastball.

14 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Call it what you want but quick slants hit you in the numbers not above the head.  You are also missing the definition of quick slant it has to do with the depth of the route and the time that the qb releases the ball after the snap.  That looked like a catcher expecting a low slider inside and getting the high rising fastball.

I’m not saying it was a perfect pass, it was far from it. Multiple people have said that Warner should have settled down after clearing the defenders instead of continuing towards to middle of the field. That contributed to the ball behind a bit behind and high. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1