Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

6 minutes ago, Fru said:

Rewatched most of it. Offense actually moved the ball pretty well. The fumbles by Luke and AM were killers. This game kinda reminded me of the Wisconsin game last year. O would get a decent drive going, but just couldn't finish. 

so true - good thought would be probably going to lose this one anyhow.  Need to have those near perfect games now that they are all winnable.  Hoping mistakes don't turn into habits.

From the drive after tOSU's first TD.  Right after the false start.

Wan'Dale motions out of the backfield then we throw the bubble screen to him.  He was kind of coming back toward Martinez and got caught up in the pile.  But if he could have quickly cut to the outside, he probably scores.  We end up punting.

SGCLz6b.jpg

Parker Gabriel of the LJS has a write up about the drive @Undone referenced in the OP of this thread. NU used 3 or 4 different formations in the 11 play drive, and none of them in back to back plays. Many of those formations were with the same personnel. That gives the opposing defense a lot to think about and gives a glimpse of what Frost is trying to do on offense.

Here is Gabriel’s article. Not sure if it’s behind a paywall. https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-extra-rewind-an-offensive-foundation-to-build-from-and-questions-to-answer/article_ac24e1e7-6a64-5c25-b467-5af792ee1c07.html

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job by Wan'Dale on McCaffrey's long run.  He's still getting a block in 40 yards down the field.

Also very nice job by Austin Allen at the point of attack.  His job was to block the OLB who kind of stumbles so it made the block pretty easy but Allen is also able to take out the DE to spring McCaffrey.

• Fire 1

I know it was only a 3rd. 2 but the line push at the 24:20 mark is really encouraging.  Totally out schemed OSU on that play but what I liked was the quickness by Piper on the pull.   How many times over the past 10 years or so has the oline been blown up in that situation especially against quick dlines like OSU?   Here the oline pushed OSUs dline five yards down field.  Easy first down.  This bodes well for the future not only from a talent standpoint but moreso from a confidence standpoint.  I was really happy by the play of both lines, d and o.  That's where this thing is going to get turned around.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I couldn't figure out what was going on watching this live.  I told my son we were going to get a formation penalty.  But apparently it was a legal formation.  Just with the guard way back.  

We ran QB draw with McCaffrey.  We folded the other guy off the LOS through the hole following the guard that was off the LOS.  There was a hole there but Wison can't hold his block and his guys blows the play up.  Interesting to see that tried again.

G8XYt0m.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I couldn't figure out what was going on watching this live.  I told my son we were going to get a formation penalty.  But apparently it was a legal formation.  Just with the guard way back.  

We ran QB draw with McCaffrey.  We folded the other guy off the LOS through the hole following the guard that was off the LOS.  There was a hole there but Wison can't hold his block and his guys blows the play up.  Interesting to see that tried again.

G8XYt0m.jpg

There are still only 4 guys in the backfield, so it looks like a legal formation to me. Now the TE is covered up on the left side of the offense, so he’s an ineligible receiver on this play. 

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Man, that was such a nice play design to get Austin free down the sideline.  Play-action, Martinez rolls right, Allen comes across the formation behind the line and no one picks him up.

Allen also does a great job of faking the block on the LB, and then slips behind him to be wide open for the short pass and run after catch. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Anybody have any info on the false start by 85 early in the game. Was that a formation issues - cause i watched that multi times and didn't see movement...think it was 3rd and 1 which lead to 3rd and 6 we gained 1.5 on the next play - leading to a punt.

It was a 2nd and one play after NU gained 9 yards on first down. The WR was at the top of the formation and out of the screen, so it wasn’t shown. Since it’s a false start and the play was blown dead, he had to have started off the ball (to block presumably) before the snap. It’s a killer penalty, which shouldn’t happen from a WR. I get wanting to get out on your block, but there is less urgency to do that at the WR spot.

• Thanks 1