Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

From the drive after tOSU's first TD.  Right after the false start.

Wan'Dale motions out of the backfield then we throw the bubble screen to him.  He was kind of coming back toward Martinez and got caught up in the pile.  But if he could have quickly cut to the outside, he probably scores.  We end up punting.

SGCLz6b.jpg

This one was really weird - I agree going outside was the move and appears to be how it's being blocked, but Wan'Dale almost looked like he was running a tunnel screen. Also OSUs's speed showed up here, from a stand still the trailing defender might ahve actually caught him rounding the corner.

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I couldn't figure out what was going on watching this live.  I told my son we were going to get a formation penalty.  But apparently it was a legal formation.  Just with the guard way back.  

We ran QB draw with McCaffrey.  We folded the other guy off the LOS through the hole following the guard that was off the LOS.  There was a hole there but Wison can't hold his block and his guys blows the play up.  Interesting to see that tried again.

G8XYt0m.jpg

Guarantee we have a fake draw pop pass to the pulling guard somewhere buried in the playbook. And I want to see it!

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Undone said:

Yep. We did have a perfect punt and touched it down on their 6 - nice to see those better special teams moments.

Our fourth drive:

1. Wide screen to Wan'Dale, +4 yards.

2. QB Wrap up the middle by McCaffrey for 3 yards.

3. Awesome pass protection by our line, Martinez hits Stoll over the middle for 15 yards and a first down.

4. Play action deep 50/50 ball to the sideline by Martinez to Vokolek, incomplete.

5. Inside zone handoff to Mills across the B gap, Farniok & Benhart both own their assignments and big hole for Dedrick, +8 yards.

6. McCaffrey in the shotgun runs a draw for +5 yards.

7. I-formation with Mills as FB and Wan'Dale as I-back, FB Trap to Mills for +4 yards.

8. Martinez in the shotgun, designed roll out to his right, Austin Allen springs wide open for +27 yards. Perfect play call here by Frost as we were muscling them inside and they probably thought we were just going to keep doing that. I wish I could create a GIF of this play because it's a thing of beauty; Allen starts out on the left side of the line, sort of in the Pistol almost and then sweeps across the right, chips a quick block, then gets wide open down the sideline.

9. Martinez zone read keeper outside, good speed by Adrian, +8 yards.

10. Martinez zone read keeper again, picks up the first down, +3 yards.

11. 1st & goal from the 3. We shift into this formation but then run Mills up the middle for the TD:

image.png.6e6f3700883ce35358093c8e7a853d7b.png

You don't need to know X's & O's to know what happened on this drive - our offensive line kicked their a** and drove 'em back on every play. On our passing plays, Adrian didn't have a guy in his face about to sack him.

That literally makes all the difference in the world.

The Stoll play here worked because that motion is used a lot to run split zone. The motion guy typically cleans up the edge defender on the backside, so when the LB saw that motion he crashed inside. Heupel at UCF runs that play all the time. 

• Plus1 1

You gotta feel super grateful for us getting Benhart. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the hype around him redshirting and then being in the mix to actually start this season was almost kind of drowned out by the hype of Corcoran committing because of how highly Corcoran was rated.

But Benhart at tackle with Farniok at guard really could be the gamechanger a lot of people thought it would this season.

I don't necessarily agree with the assessment some have had that we'll only really get things rolling if our backs are heavily involved in picking up the yards on the ground. My only concern with our QBs taking a bunch of running snaps is just the potential for them to fumble.

Our offense looked pretty well-coached and prepared in that first half. Can't just celebrate about one good half of football though obviously - have to put it all together against a good team at some point. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Undone said:

You gotta feel super grateful for us getting Benhart. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the hype around him redshirting and then being in the mix to actually start this season was almost kind of drowned out by the hype of Corcoran committing because of how highly Corcoran was rated.

But Benhart at tackle with Farniok at guard really could be the gamechanger a lot of people thought it would this season.

A redshirt freshmen OL in his first start ever on the road against tOSU and he plays like that is super exciting. Plus Jurgens is young, Piper did some good things and we have some talent developing, our OL could become a major strength really soon!

11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

A redshirt freshmen OL in his first start ever on the road against tOSU and he plays like that is super exciting. Plus Jurgens is young, Piper did some good things and we have some talent developing, our OL could become a major strength really soon!

Yeah man. I think positive COVID tests for our line is the only thing really stopping us from going 4-0 against Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, & Iowa.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Great job by Wan'Dale on McCaffrey's long run.  He's still getting a block in 40 yards down the field.

Also very nice job by Austin Allen at the point of attack.  His job was to block the OLB who kind of stumbles so it made the block pretty easy but Allen is also able to take out the DE to spring McCaffrey.

21 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Anybody have any info on the false start by 85 early in the game. Was that a formation issues - cause i watched that multi times and didn't see movement...think it was 3rd and 1 which lead to 3rd and 6 we gained 1.5 on the next play - leading to a punt.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

His back foot comes up a split second before the snap. I've seen a lot worse go uncalled but he did move early. 

Wow, I'm not sure that would even be visible to the naked eye smh.  Have to really slow the video down.  2nd receiver from the top does move a split second early.  Refs were looking hard for calls imo.  

• Plus1 1

I guess slow motion is now used anytime there is a chance that NU may need to be called for a flag in the NEW Big10 - this is going to be a fun year (no matter the calls or lack of them - having football is worth it !!!) .  I don't expect an over turn of either of the targeting penalties - however if it doesn't happen before the wisc game i will assume this behavior will continue for the rest of the season.