Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

I've been surprisingly unimpressed with Dedrick Mills.  He might legitimately be the fourth best option at running back on this team. Luke looked good when he took handoffs. I think Wandale is better and should not completely play receiver and Thompkins looked more explosive from the limited amount against Ohio State. Mills has had two games and is still at 3 yards per play. I'm not saying he should get no playing time, but he clearly did not pick up where he left off.

• Plus1 2

Anyone notice that our holding calls are holds that didn’t benefit the play anyway?  There must be a time when you can drop your block?  

no expert, but it seems like guys do a good job of blocking then start to lose it and then hold. What’s a reasonable time to drop your block? 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That would be exactly backwards.  Our problem is we are not good are running power football.  I thought we looked better last week but not so much. 

Our distribution of touches is absolutely terrible.  The thing we did the most of yesterday was let Dedrick Mills run the ball (19 carries).  That was the least efficient thing we did (3.1 ypc).  Even if you increase that efficiency by 50% that would still be the least effective thing we did on the day.  Yet for some reason we kept trying.  The second least effective thing we did on the day?  Throw the ball to Dedrick Mills (5.5 yards per catch).  Yet he had the most catches.

Dedrick Mills had 25 touches - nearly 30% of our offensive plays - and he was the least efficient with them at 3.6 yards per touch.  Wan'Dale averaged 8.0 ypt and got 4 touches.  Marvin Scott - playing the same position as Mills - averaged 4.7 ypc.  None of the other receivers averaged less than 6.0 ypc.  

No idea why we insisted on doing more of the worst thing we were doing.  But this is where that gets you.

But it was effective. We got funny in the red zone We had enough yards.  Two pics in or near the end zone. We score those TD’s and we’re singing a different tune. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That would be exactly backwards.  Our problem is we are not good are running power football.  I thought we looked better last week but not so much. 

Our distribution of touches is absolutely terrible.  The thing we did the most of yesterday was let Dedrick Mills run the ball (19 carries).  That was the least efficient thing we did (3.1 ypc).  Even if you increase that efficiency by 50% that would still be the least effective thing we did on the day.  Yet for some reason we kept trying.  The second least effective thing we did on the day?  Throw the ball to Dedrick Mills (5.5 yards per catch).  Yet he had the most catches.

Dedrick Mills had 25 touches - nearly 30% of our offensive plays - and he was the least efficient with them at 3.6 yards per touch.  Wan'Dale averaged 8.0 ypt and got 4 touches.  Marvin Scott - playing the same position as Mills - averaged 4.7 ypc.  None of the other receivers averaged less than 6.0 ypc.  

No idea why we insisted on doing more of the worst thing we were doing.  But this is where that gets you.

Agreed. Frost wants to dominate the LOS, that much is obvious. QB Run, Mills/Scott N to S, swing passes to Wandale. The problem is, the defense knows that, and we are doing nothing to keep them honest. We have no one that’s a threat to make a play 10 yards downfield. 

• Plus1 3

Just now, Mavric said:

We were effective in spite of Mills performance, not because of it.

Thank you for our analysis. I appreciate your analytical mind, but I think I disagree with you.  

I need to rewatch the game, but did I don’t think Mills had anything to do with the goal line turnovers. Unless he can’t block.  He also didn’t turn the ball over. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Thank you for our analysis. I appreciate your analytical mind, but I think I disagree with you.  

I need to rewatch the game, but did I don’t think Mills had anything to do with the goal line turnovers. Unless he can’t block.  He also didn’t turn the ball over. 

I didn't say he had anything to do with the turnovers.  But he was the least productive person on the field.  We were able to move the ball by getting it to others, not by getting it to Mills.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I didn't say he had anything to do with the turnovers.  But he was the least productive person on the field.  We were able to move the ball by getting it to others, not by getting it to Mills.

Had everyone else had the chances Mills had, their averages would moved down too. Except Wandale. His under use is baffling. 

In fact Mills scored the only TD. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Had everyone else had the chances Mills had, their averages would moved down too. Except Wandale. His under use is baffling. 

In fact Mills scored the only TD. 

That is complete speculation on your part to try to believe something that hasn't been shown to be true over two games.  Which is you prerogative.  But he has been the least effective player in each of the first two games.  That is just a fact.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That is complete speculation on your part to try to believe something that hasn't been shown to be true over two games.  Which is you prerogative.  But he has been the least effective player in each of the first two games.  That is just a fact.

14 possessions 

is he the least effective player? 

series 1, 11 plays  result punt 

Rushing

Mills- 3 rushes  9 yards, 2 yards (1st down, but brought his average down), 10 yards

passing- 3 different receivers, 3 attempts. Flemming(14 yards) Wandale (5 yards, but not enough), Mills (incomplete)

AMART- run 7 

2 penalties- Bernhardt, wilson

Series 2 , 3 plays punt 

Rushing- Scott for 2 yards

Receiving- vokolek 4 yards, incomplete to unknown

Penalty- farniok false start, also got an offsides

Series 3, punt. 3 plays 

Rushing- Mills 4 yards

Passing- Wandale one- should have had two but holding on Jaime’s, Warner- incomplete, and one just incomplete 

PENALTIES-jaimes 

Series 4, Fg. 14 plays FG

Mills six rushes, 3,0,0,5,4,0 fumbled one recovered by AMART 

PASSING-2/2. Allen- 2 complete(25,4). Manning and Robinson- incompletes 

QB- Martinez two runs(1,5)

Series 5, 6 plays FG

RUSHING- Mills (-2)

PASSING-1/3. Flemming(28 yards), incompletes to Allen and Vokolek 

QB-Martinez- one run, 13 yards 

PENALTIES- Robinson FS

Series 6 -One play. TD

Mills (3 yards, but brought down average) 

Series 7, 6 plays. End of half

RUSHING- Mills one rush (15)

PASSING- all incomplete 0/3- Wandale, Vokolek, and ? 
WB- Martinez 8 yard run

2 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I've been surprisingly unimpressed with Dedrick Mills.  He might legitimately be the fourth best option at running back on this team. Luke looked good when he took handoffs. I think Wandale is better and should not completely play receiver and Thompkins looked more explosive from the limited amount against Ohio State. Mills has had two games and is still at 3 yards per play. I'm not saying he should get no playing time, but he clearly did not pick up where he left off.

Tell us more

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

Don't know when the zone read became power running, but how many poor poor AM reads while running the zone read resulted in Mills getting buried at the LOS.  

Agree. I haven’t looked at the second half series yet, but it appears to me to be penalties and Qb play in the first half. 

did we tell our o-lineman that everyone needs to get a penalty in the first half? Because at least four of them did. 

I would find a new RB1 and RB2.  Mills has a role somewhere, but not as starter or second man up.  No disrespect, but he's had his opportunities.

I would scrap the 1st string receivers.  This position needs burst, quickness and play making ability.  Go with Wandale, Flemming, Betts, Manning.  Then find a small role for Warner if needed. 

And then I would get rid of all screen plays. Because if I kept even one variation of it, someone would call that play 8-10 times a game. 

As for QB1.  Well I love AM since day 1.  Gives his best, loves UNL, has great character on & off the field.  But I would make the change today and roll with LM for now.  Just prepare him with the reps and give him the same opportunity that AM has been given.  But also, I would keep AM involved by swapping him with Luke's role as a versatile player.  So if I felt like giving AM a series as QB, and use his athletic ability as a runner/passer too, I would. 

We need the best speed, burst and quickness at our skill positions and in the backfield.  Got to play fast because speed kills. Then comes power and experience.

I'd make these changes and call it "operation opportunity"

• Plus1 1

don't know if anyone mentioned this but if Jurgens is out the offense does look a lot worse.  Farniok is not a very good center.  I'm pretty sure he probably missed a bunch of line calls and he can't block for s#!t.  On more than one occasion he was looking back toward the backfield.  not the direction you want your o-line looking.  He looked like a lost ball in high weeds

• Plus1 2