Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just being honest: I doubt Mills shows that same patience and then cuts through that hole so hard. That's really a big thing we're lacking from our "every down back" player.

I think PSU might be a gap short on backside A that looks like a good option.  Once the playside LB commits he could stick that left foot and get vertical off of Juergens block.  He is almost too fast to read the zone blocks and cut off the heels of his line.  But it is 4th and 3 so I guess it is forgivable given the down and distance.  

4 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I think PSU might be a gap short on backside A that looks like a good option.  Once the playside LB commits he could stick that left foot and get vertical off of Juergens block.  He is almost too fast to read the zone blocks and cut off the heels of his line.  But it is 4th and 3 so I guess it is forgivable given the down and distance.  

Yeah. And great analysis!

You'd love to see Wan'Dale in there at RB more, but I just don't think his body could really take all of the hits of 25 carries a game.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. And great analysis!

You'd love to see Wan'Dale in there at RB more, but I just don't think his body could really take all of the hits of 25 carries a game.

It feels like 5-7 carries should be very easy to get though - I really don't understand why that wasn't the plan the first 2 games. 16 is too many (let alone 25), and I hope any future Mills outages have some of those redirected to Scott/Thompkins/Johnson. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Husker in WI said:

It feels like 5-7 carries should be very easy to get though - I really don't understand why that wasn't the plan the first 2 games. 16 is too many (let alone 25), and I hope any future Mills outages have some of those redirected to Scott/Thompkins/Johnson. 

I think the coaches wanted to put him at WR, and try to get him his touches there.  Then they realized that he is valuable being all over the field, including getting touches at the RB position.  I'm not sure why this didn't happen against Northwestern though.  I figured his speed and quickness would be matchup issues against NW's LB's.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the coaches wanted to put him at WR, and try to get him his touches there.  Then they realized that he is valuable being all over the field, including getting touches at the RB position.  I'm not sure why this didn't happen against Northwestern though.  I figured his speed and quickness would be matchup issues against NW's LB's.

I can't remember - was there speculation/confirmation that Thompkins was receiving discipline for something the week of Northwestern and didn't play?

I might be waaaay off on that, just can't remember.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I can't remember - was there speculation/confirmation that Thompkins was receiving discipline for something the week of Northwestern and didn't play?

I might be waaaay off on that, just can't remember.

I heard that speculation too. Then didn't someone say something minor injury related or something maybe? Regardless we need some RBs to step up real soon.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, I heard that speculation, too.

Thanks. He would have helped us in that game. Not to a degree that automatically turns that one into a 'W,' but he would have helped.

We really should have won that game. If we just get into the right blocking formation on 1st & goal from their 2 and pound Mills in there, we're just kicking a field goal for the win on that last drive...ugh.

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I heard that speculation too. Then didn't someone say something minor injury related or something maybe? Regardless we need some RBs to step up real soon.

Ah! Gotcha.

42 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And maybe Frosty can get creative on those times when Wan'Dale's lined up at RB. Because the defense is thinking you're handing it off to him...so he rolls out in the flat, QB stares him down as if to throw that way, then your TE springs out wide to the other side for a pass, etc., etc.

His trajectory has kind of been like Rondale Moore's, right? By that second year defenses are constantly doubling up on him.

• Plus1 1

betts.JPG.7450abcbafb7208cbfb43e52d9362188.JPG

Something I didn't catch until watching again today: This moment right here when Betts scores a touchdown to make it 17-3, just one minute into the second quarter, would be the last time we score a TD on offense and only go on to score 6 more points offensively for the basically 3 quarters remaining.   It wasn't just the second half trying to milk the clock that we had offensive troubles.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

betts.JPG.7450abcbafb7208cbfb43e52d9362188.JPG

Something I didn't catch until watching again today: This moment right here when Betts scores a touchdown to make it 17-3, just one minute into the second quarter, would be the last time we score a TD on offense and only go on to score 6 more points offensively for the basically 3 quarters remaining.   It wasn't just the second half trying to milk the clock that we had offensive troubles.

To be fair, NU only had the ball for two possessions after Betts’ TD. The first drive gained 2 first downs before punting and putting Penn State inside their own 10 yard line. The 2nd possession took over in good field position after CTB’s solid punt return, but still had less than 2 minutes of close to use. The offense drove inside Penn State’s 10, but stalled out there. There was a zone read where McCaffrey inside the 10 could have scored if he keeps. But getting a FG before half wasn’t terrible.