Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I noticed this during the game.  It's a little hard to tell from this angle but it sure doesn't look like there's anyone within 20 yards of Betts.  Frost mentioned missing open receivers post-game.

Yeah I think this is the one that most people noticed. Seems like a post vs a team that runs a lot of cover 2 should be one of your top reads :dunno

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah I think this is the one that most people noticed. Seems like a post vs a team that runs a lot of cover 2 should be one of your top reads :dunno

Martinez killed Illinois last year on deep passes down the middle, and hit Wandale on one when he came in during garbage time. Unfortunately Luke wasn’t able to do anything like that yesterday. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

He definitely "missed" the block but that would be almost impossible to hook a LB who is shooting outside like that.

The defense ran a scrape exchange (DE/LB exchange gaps responsibilities) & I would be surprised if the H-back didn't block the wrong man.   I would be surprised if he wasn't supposed to turn that crashing DE loose and climb to the 2nd level & instead locked onto his pre-snap "man".   The Huskers had outside leverage on that play, coaches had to be frustrated it didn't convert.  

Highlighted above was Scott's 2.8 AVE, but I think that stats misleading, and thought he looked pretty good.  Off the top of my head, he had a couple negative runs on Outside Zone plays, & a couple short yardage carries, but I thought he showed a little juice running downhill on series 1 & 3 I believe.  

If I'm looking for a silver lining in this game, I thought the rhythm of the offense was improved.  Meaning the tempo, the play action passes, but McCaffery was late or missed everything available, which of course begins to throw off the timing of the entire offense eventually.  The amusing aspect was I thought, he reminds me of my JR High QB, who would drop back only to run 80% of the time, only to find myself screaming for him to run on 2 4th down plays where the middle of the field opened up.

1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

Highlighted above was Scott's 2.8 AVE, but I think that stats misleading, and thought he looked pretty good.  Off the top of my head, he had a couple negative runs on Outside Zone plays, & a couple short yardage carries, but I thought he showed a little juice running downhill on series 1 & 3 I believe.  

Yeah, sorry - I was on my way out the door and just had enough time to edit the image but didn't provide a write-up.

Marvin Scott is a great talent and, assuming that this program doesn't further implode to previously unthinkable levels, he'll do good things here. I highlighted that because of what a bad sign it is.

Our starting running back should be the guy with 26 carries and north of a five yard average. I can't stress enough how much that rushing stat sheet epitomizes our entire quagmire right now. Frost's offensive system & plan is completely sideways right now.

McCaffrey went north of 100 yards on the ground mainly because of improvising & scrambling. But our inside zone rushing game isn't working and I think part of that is because we have no vertical game.