Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Oh the hell. You admittedly burn the program to the ground then claim youth and timing as excuses. How in the hell are you going to get  timing, which has never been, against Iowa? Wasn’t that what the Illinois game was for? Or the eight extra weeks of practice and prep time? 

are these dudes just drawing it up in the dark every week? This Frost dude is a loser. He can win things in the media, but on the field not so much. 

not trying to shoot the messenger Mavric 

10 hours ago, Undone said:

Yeah, sorry - I was on my way out the door and just had enough time to edit the image but didn't provide a write-up.

Marvin Scott is a great talent and, assuming that this program doesn't further implode to previously unthinkable levels, he'll do good things here. I highlighted that because of what a bad sign it is.

Our starting running back should be the guy with 26 carries and north of a five yard average. I can't stress enough how much that rushing stat sheet epitomizes our entire quagmire right now. Frost's offensive system & plan is completely sideways right now.

McCaffrey went north of 100 yards on the ground mainly because of improvising & scrambling. But our inside zone rushing game isn't working and I think part of that is because we have no vertical game.

I agree.  But, I really think this stat is the way it is because of our pathetic passing attack.  The defense doesn't have to respect our down field passing so they can stack the box with almost as many defenders as they want.  They key on stopping the RB.  So....now...the QB only has one option to try to beat them....run the ball himself.

Get at least a threat of a passing attack down field (I think Martinez does that better) and the RB run game opens up more.

33 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Oh the hell. You admittedly burn the program to the ground then claim youth and timing as excuses. How in the hell are you going to get  timing, which has never been, against Iowa? Wasn’t that what the Illinois game was for? Or the eight extra weeks of practice and prep time? 

are these dudes just drawing it up in the dark every week? This Frost dude is a loser. He can win things in the media, but on the field not so much. 

not trying to shoot the messenger Mavric 

I get the frustration.  And I'm not saying it is unwarranted.

But there is literally nothing coaches can say in this situation that will make people happy.  If they talk about what actually happened, people will complain that they should fix it if they know what the problem is.  If they just speak in generalities people complain that all they're getting is "coach speak."

He literally said it's not an excuse.  Just said what the problem is.  I don't know what else he is supposed to say.

• Plus1 6

I did see two different plays where we had receivers actually run into each other. So, some of these route runners aren't exactly doing their job all that well, either.

Where I'm most confused about our passing game is that I thought we were both planning to and had the tight ends to throw down the seams/deep to. But then that element is fairly absent, aside from TEs catching some short passes out wide. I know Vokolek had a nice catch or two from Luke against Illinois.

On the rewatch, I have to take back some of the stuff I said (LOL) in the heat of the emotions on Saturday about Luke's passing game. He had some throws where he rifled it in there into tight spots. But, then he was missing some throws to wide open players and then also failed to see other guys that were wide open downfield. Both of those things are obviously very forgivable for a freshman.

But the frustration here is that Illinois is not composed of more talented players than we have. We started shooting ourselves in the foot literally on the first play and then just continued doing that for four quarters.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think a lot of what plagues this offense is that there’s no bread and butter.  Nothing that consistently has worked well.  
All of the scripted plays are great, but clearly when we use those up, there’s nothing consistent to fall back on. 

I really wish Coach would incorporate some more power run with QB under center and I formation.   Eventually that could be the bread and butter.  Then mix in the creative plays to keep defenses on their heels.  Maybe one of our TE’s can also double as as FB?   
Basically I miss that one drive against Ohio state last year when we ran power.  It was a thing of beauty.  Then it just disappeared.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I think a lot of what plagues this offense is that there’s no bread and butter.  Nothing that consistently has worked well.  
All of the scripted plays are great, but clearly when we use those up, there’s nothing consistent to fall back on. 

I really wish Coach would incorporate some more power run with QB under center and I formation.   Eventually that could be the bread and butter.  Then mix in the creative plays to keep defenses on their heels.  Maybe one of our TE’s can also double as as FB?   
Basically I miss that one drive against Ohio state last year when we ran power.  It was a thing of beauty.  Then it just disappeared.  

That one drive was a change-up thrown at Ohio State, and then Ohio State adjusted and knew how to defend it.  I am not saying that there shouldn't be any part of the offense which can't go under center with 2 backs, but Frost has said that that type of formation is a wrinkle, and not a staple of the offense.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I think we have bread and butter, it's just harder to recognize due to formations/motion and more importantly, we aren't good at it. Inside zone looks pretty different from a 2-TE set with no motion, 5 wide with a back motioned in, 2 backs with a backside QB fake, etc - but it's the same play.

Honestly our bread and butter plays in the 90s were probably more different than we think - they all looked the same because a run to the right from the I looks pretty similar to a run to the right from the power-I. But despite formation/direction similarity, from what I've heard we had a wide variety of different ways to block things.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That one drive was a change-up thrown at Ohio State, and then Ohio State adjusted and knew how to defend it.  I am not saying that there shouldn't be any part of the offense which can't go under center with 2 backs, but Frost has said that that type of formation is a wrinkle, and not a staple of the offense.

I get that, but it proves the point that it can work. Of course good teams will always adjust, but that doesn't mean you scrap it forever.  And I wouldn't even call it a wrinkle, because we've essentially never gone back to it.  It's mind boggling to me.  I had hope with Coach Austin's new "Run game coordinator" sub-title, but that has evaporated.  At least for this season.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I get that, but it proves the point that it can work. Of course good teams will always adjust, but that doesn't mean you scrap it forever.  And I wouldn't even call it a wrinkle, because we've essentially never gone back to it.  It's mind boggling to me.  I had hope with Coach Austin's new "Run game coordinator" sub-title, but that has evaporated.  At least for this season.

NU used it a few plays against Ohio State this season.  I also get frustrated when NU shows things one week, and there are drastically different game plans for the next week or two.  I get having different game plans, depending on opponent, but it's year 3, and Frost hasn't established an identity of the offense.  However, don't expect the I-formation to be a huge part of that identity, if and when that happens.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The most concerning thing to me was Frost saying he didn't see this coming, and the players saying they kinda did. I don't think better routes in practice would've fixed all of our problems, but there were a few comments that didn't jive with Frost's. 

I think it's all coach-speak. They mailed this game in. They were unprepared. 

I think there's a lot more chaos going on behind the scenes than we have any idea about. We saw the product of that on the field.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1