Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

11 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This is a nice gain, but it's almost all on Wandale and the play design. The three blockers in front basically get one guy. The receiver blocked for about half a second. Get three blocks by three guys, you double the yards.

There's 4 guys out there making important blocks.  Yes, if the last receiver holds onto his block longer, the play goes for many more yards.  But, if he doesn't make any block, that DB probably prevents the first down.

The one that I think could have made a much bigger difference is if 54 would have turned up field and blocked 26.  Robinson then could have possibly turned inside more and avoided the DB.

We've sure struggled scoring in the 2nd half this year.  Or at least, coming away with points when the opportunity is there.  It feels like it's the difference in winning against NW and Iowa for sure.  Against PSU it got awfully scary though. I don't think we could have pulled it out if it went to OT in that game.  Thankfully it did not.  I mean, this is unbelievable, but should be fixable.  Learning to win, closing out games, finishing, etc. 

Husker 2nd Half Scoring

OSU - 3
NW - 0
PSU - 3
Illinois -13
Iowa - 7

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

This year the offense on third down has averaged 8 yards to go.  They average gaining about 6 on those said 3rd downs

Do you happen to have any stats on "negative plays"?  It feels like we run more behind the LOS high risk plays than anyone else, and get nailed for negative yards more than anyone else...and given our struggles to move the ball at all, that seems like a bad predisposition for our OC to have. 

16 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

This year the offense on third down has averaged 8 yards to go.  They average gaining about 6 on those said 3rd downs

Yeah I commented on this to my brother the other day.  I have been a Chicago Bears fan all of my life and their plan of attack on 3rd downs post Walter Payton is to throw a pass 3-5 yards short of the sticks.  Nebraska has seemed to adopt the same philosophy.   Boggles my mind.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah I commented on this to my brother the other day.  I have been a Chicago Bears fan all of my life and their plan of attack on 3rd downs post Walter Payton is to throw a pass 3-5 yards short of the sticks.  Nebraska has seemed to adopt the same philosophy.   Boggles my mind.

This frustrates me like no other.  If its 3rd and 8,  all the receivers should be past the first down marker.   We seem to always throw short and hope for a broken tackle. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Bears fan, huh?

stepbrothers_o_1221418.jpg