Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We love to run this route combinations.  From several different formations.  And it's usually effective.

Love that route combo..  We ran the crap out of it in HS this year and was very successful.  Ohio State runs this very well, but it helps when you have 4 NFL WRs running it.  

Betts is so long and lanky that I don't think juking people is going to be his forte.  Needs to just use his speed and strength to get what he can.  But he has crazy potential.

Side note: word is he does really well of 50/50 balls so he should be a great red zone target.  But he is still working on knowing where he's supposed to be all the time so he hasn't gotten that chance in games yet.  But he's a beast on those in practice so hopefully we can look forward to that next year.

• Plus1 2

From the article:

Linemen with initial position completely inside the tackle box may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box. All other Team A players are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “Directed from the front” is defined as within the clock face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the area of concentration of the player being blocked.

Exceptions:

-Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs five yards or more beyond the neutral zone.

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

-Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.

So they had to rule that Allen's block was outside the 10 o'clock window.  It's definitely close but it looks to me like it was probably inside that window.  

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

From the article:

Exceptions:

-Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs five yards or more beyond the neutral zone.

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

-Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line.

So they had to rule that Allen's block was outside the 10 o'clock window.  It's definitely close but it looks to me like it was probably inside that window.  

That or they saw him in motion and didn't register that he stopped prior to the snap? He had stopped, but not sure if he was considered "set" and so I think in theory is considered a motion player. 

Oh, but that only applies blocking back toward the ball. So yeah, must've rules that it was from the side - which I thought was clipping anyway, different penalty? Whatever the case may be, I've seen much worse go uncalled.

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Oh, but that only applies blocking back toward the ball. So yeah, must've rules that it was from the side - which I thought was clipping anyway, different penalty? Whatever the case may be, I've seen much worse go uncalled.

Clipping is blocking below the waist from behind.  Doesn't matter where it is relative to the ball.  They have expanded the rules for illegal block below the waist in recent years as well which is side or front in different situations.