Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

If Martinez throws this just a bit more up the field instead of across, Allen walks in.

Play action was discussed a couple weeks ago on the board. Someone had said that there wasn't really play action in this offense but rather more in the more pro style offenses of Wisconsin, etc.

Great example of play action in this offense here. Enough guys bit on it for just that split second to spring Allen. Excited to watch Austin next year again.

• Plus1 1

First loss of the year for me where I think Martinez deserves the lion's share of the blame. He just wasn't hitting open downfield guys. You can't win with throwing like that.

But, also fans can't have it both ways: Everybody has complained that we weren't taking enough shots downfield. In a game where we actually tried, maybe we see now why those plays weren't being called - we just clearly can't handle it.

It would definitely help to have a "JD Spielman" or "Stan Morgan" this year, you can't deny that...but still, Martinez has been overthrowing passes. It's like he's erring on the side of overthrowing to avoid interceptions. And he has avoided interceptions extremely well - but offensively we just pissed the game down our leg today.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

First loss of the year for me where I think Martinez deserves the lion's share of the blame. He just wasn't hitting open downfield guys. You can't win with throwing like that.

But, also fans can't have it both ways: Everybody has complained that we weren't taking enough shots downfield. In a game where we actually tried, maybe we see now why those plays weren't being called - we just clearly can't handle it.

It would definitely help to have a "JD Spielman" or "Stan Morgan" this year, you can't deny that...but still, Martinez has been overthrowing passes. It's like he's erring on the side of overthrowing to avoid interceptions. And he has avoided interceptions extremely well - but offensively we just pissed the game down our leg today.

I’m glad they threw downfield and yes AM sucked today throwing and sucked most of the year throwing.   There is a reason his YPA is what it is.   I don’t care about completion % with him because his warts show in games like this. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m glad they threw downfield and yes AM sucked today throwing and sucked most of the year throwing.   There is a reason his YPA is what it is.   I don’t care about completion % with him because his warts show in games like this. 

He was pretty clutch in the Iowa game. Had that amazing 1st down conversion to Allen on the sideline. 

All in all his play has been ok this year.

Is AM put in this position if say maybe the staff sticks to a game plan of running the ball right at a team that was giving up damn near 7 yards a tote?????  I mean the line is absolute hot s#!t, but they actually look functional when they fire off the ball straight ahead,  And Mills got his chunks, when actually in the game, between the tackles.  

Seriously every coach on the offensive side of the ball believed throwing the ball against this defense and with that wind 29 times was the correct plan????

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

This it what bothers me.  What is Frost supposed to call?  The QB can’t consistently convert.  Does anyone think opposing teams don’t know that?  

We really have no passing game and that’s why literally nothing works.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Is AM put in this position if say maybe the staff sticks to a game plan of running the ball right at a team that was giving up damn near 7 yards a tote?????  I mean the line is absolute hot s#!t, but they actually look functional when they fire off the ball straight ahead,  And Mills got his chunks, when actually in the game, between the tackles.  

Seriously every coach on the offensive side of the ball believed throwing the ball against this defense and with that wind 29 times was the correct plan????

Absolutely spot on. After spending weeks lamenting the start of the Illinois game we come out and on the first series try to replicate it? We're trying to be too cute. Don't ask your players to do something they're not proficient at. Everybody on the planet expected a heavy dose of Mills straight ahead and instead we run sideways; even most of his carries were lateral and cut back into the pursuit. Cannot understand their  planning process.  They really need a solid dose of self scouting with honest appraisals....

11 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

And I normally don't complain about play calling because I think it's just kind of lazy...but Frost is sort of developing this habit of going away from the hot hand. The downhill QB draws were working - and then he went away from them. He kept trying to feed the ball on outside plays to Wan'Dale instead of going downhill.

I think the blame on this one was probably 40% Martinez/40% stupid penalties & bad special teams/20% Frost's play calling in the second half.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This it what bothers me.  What is Frost supposed to call?  The QB can’t consistently convert.  Does anyone think opposing teams don’t know that?  

We really have no passing game and that’s why literally nothing works.

Disagree. Piss poor play calling is why literally nothing works.  Martinez was 16/27, that's damn near 60% with zero turnovers. A lot of coaches would be happy with that, especially given the weather. 

Why Frost can't stick with running north and south with Mills boggles the mind; or why Frost has so many packages is dumbfounding. His scheme creates inconsistency by not leaning into what may be predictable, but is efficient.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1