Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

Just now, knapplc said:

I think it's all coach-speak. They mailed this game in. They were unprepared. 

I think there's a lot more chaos going on behind the scenes than we have any idea about. We saw the product of that on the field.

Yeah, I did wonder if Frost is just tired of saying he could see it coming, or if the players didn't think they should say that they didn't. I dunno, but I've rewatched pretty much all of our recent games - Michigan 2018, OSU 2019, all of them. And I'm not sure I can stomach rewatching this one.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I think it's all coach-speak. They mailed this game in. They were unprepared. 

I think there's a lot more chaos going on behind the scenes than we have any idea about. We saw the product of that on the field.

The wheels are coming off the wagon.

The runningback room can't trust the OLine to open holes. The receivers don't believe anybody in the QB room can get them the ball. Players are losing faith in their position coaches and coordinators.  

Nebraska will have chances to make the season respectable. Do the fans believe that? No. Do people in memorial stadium believe that? Less and less with each game.

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

This seems like something I would read during the Mike Reilly regime and not SF but here we are.  Still trying to make sense of this but I don't think I'll be able to regardless.  

No words...

It's very frustrating that the coaches would allow poor practices for an entire week, but effort in practice can be challenging for coaches to control.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's very frustrating that the coaches would allow poor practices for an entire week, but effort in practice can be challenging for coaches to control.

I for the life of me don't know exactly what is going on down there when it comes to practice but whatever the case not running routes full speed and getting that timing down which is crucial is 1000% unacceptable.  That's some Mike Riley type of bs right there. 

Seriously WTH???

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I get the frustration.  And I'm not saying it is unwarranted.

But there is literally nothing coaches can say in this situation that will make people happy.  If they talk about what actually happened, people will complain that they should fix it if they know what the problem is.  If they just speak in generalities people complain that all they're getting is "coach speak."

He literally said it's not an excuse.  Just said what the problem is.  I don't know what else he is supposed to say.

When you say it’s not an excuse that is exactly what it is 

he needs to quit talking period. He should have never been so open, but now just stop. And who care what the fans say? We’re fans , we talk, you produce. I’m starting to wonder if he crowdsourcing coaching decisions. 

On 11/22/2020 at 11:11 AM, Mavric said:

I noticed this during the game.  It's a little hard to tell from this angle but it sure doesn't look like there's anyone within 20 yards of Betts.  Frost mentioned missing open receivers post-game.

There was similar play in the first half with Wan'Dale. It might have even been on one of the interceptions he threw. He threw it underneath to a double covered receiver and Wan'Dale was headed down the sideline just wide open. It was likely a TD if he hits him. I'll see if I can find a video of it.

I can't get any of the usual free GIF makers to work well anymore. Was hoping to make a clip of this play, but this'll have to do. Just hit play on this video and it'll start at the right point.

This was Luke's second worst play of the game. His worst play was throwing the ball two yards out of bounds to a wide open Wan'Dale Robinson on a play that might have resulted in a touchdown.

Anyway, interceptions like this one of course are ok for a freshman to make...but they're also a pretty bad sign, IMO. Because of the TV zoom shot that we get, we can't see the full field - but Falck looks like he runs a pretty good route.

The safety might have gotten there anyway, but the reason I say this play is so bad is because Luke throws to the spot where Falck was at when he launches the ball as opposed to doing what he should have done - bomb it to a target of roughly the 15 yard line and let Falck run under it. But instead he throws it way short.

It's hard to watch. I can't tell if McCaffrey threw this interception because his arm just isn't strong enough to make that play even on his best day or if he's throwing to where Falck was instead of where he's running to (which is of course what he should have done).

• Plus1 2

@Undoneif was a crappy looking ball that wasn’t even a spiral. He lobbed it and it caught air and died. Easiest int that kid will ever get. It was so easy that I’m surprised he didn’t drop it 

I would put any of that on Falck. He’s behind the Db’s and looks to be running a good route 

I don’t think it’s necessary arm strength, more form and inexperience. 

36 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

@Undoneif was a crappy looking ball that wasn’t even a spiral. He lobbed it and it caught air and died. Easiest int that kid will ever get. It was so easy that I’m surprised he didn’t drop it 

I would put any of that on Falck. He’s behind the Db’s and looks to be running a good route 

I don’t think it’s necessary arm strength, more form and inexperience. 

It's absolutely arm strength, it's glaringly obvious he can't make the throws needed.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Just looking at the pass why would anyone every put him in at QB? 

and throwing isn’t about brute arm strength. 

Not about pure brute strength no, but you can tell when someone is overthrowing to make up for it not coming easy.  That person also can't get it 35 yards downfield with any sort of accuracy or timing which is what I see with Luke.

I'm really not sure why he would ever be a QB unless he was promised a shot at the position in order to commit.   I hope we can convince him to stay at another position but I don't get the feeling it's headed in that direction.