Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

The 2nd thing,  when the opponent catches the D in a sell out for the run call, the coverage is going to be tight man or loose man.  If you accept my first point, the only difference is do you want the CB over the top or trailing?

In passing situations, that Cover 7 look is challenging, IF NU does a better job of effecting the QB more consistently. 

Agree with that assessment, and the bold is probably the nuance that's hard to take in during live game speed.

At the end of the day our offense needs to break free from the stagnation we had last year and special teams need to do a 180 degree turnaround. We can win 5 games this year if those things happen and defense plays good assignment football.

• Plus1 1

Guys that flashed on Saturday to me and on the re-watch: 

Casey Rogers

Ty Robinson

Jojo Domann

Will Honas

Maybe my expectations for Tannor are too high. I think he does some really really good things for us at times. But it’s hard because i don’t feel like the effort is always there. When fully motivated, he’s easily the best and most athletic pass rusher on this roster as currently constructed. The way he twisted and then flashed through the line on his sack was beautiful. Need more consistency from him going forward to maximize our potential on this side of the ball. 

A guy that could potentially help us at OLB is Pheldarius Payne. He only had 2 tackles but I thought he was in good position a lot of the time and I’ll be curious to see how his transition to the position progresses moving forward. 

The soft coverage killed us but we also went tight man a few times and they just ran those rub routes and killed us. This is what happens when you play teams that start 3 5* WR’s at the same time. I think people are forgetting despite how well a guy like Bootle grades out in PFF or the praise for Williams that simply put, Ohio State’s receivers are just better athletes than our current defensive backs. That’s why losing guys like Francois and Gray sucks- not just because its cool to land high 4* talent but when you can get those types of guys and combine it with a good pass rush that’s really when you can afford to walk guys down and get in these bigger, faster WR’s faces and counter the athleticism. 

One of the best points that was made on Saturday was by Urban Meyer (as much as I hate him he’s a great analyst for FOX and hope he stays around a long long time). He said 80% of pass defense is pass rush. Let that sink in for a moment- EIGHTY PERCENT of pass defense according to one of the best coaches in the history of the modern game has nothing to do with the DB’s. And then think back to our misses at DE/OLB over the past few classes. This is the number one area Nebraska needs to get better at in order to make the next jump as a defense. Getting more athletic at the DE/OLB spot is ENORMOUS for our future successes. 

I thought we looked pretty fast on defense at times. The best play of the game defensively IMO was the hit/stop on 3rd and 1 Jojo Domann made late in the first half on Tre Sermon. Guy absolutely FLEW off the edge and made a sure tackle to force 4th and 1. Then OSU got the illegal formation and had to settle for 3. Those are the winning plays you make against a team like Ohio State- small wins turn into big wins when we eventually have closer to even talent level.

Overall I was pretty impressed with how well we held up. My biggest concern going into this game was our mentality- would we give up like we have in years past or would we fight? Last year when we were down 14-0 to them and had that drive going that ended with the pick that bounced off Wandale’s hands- you could see in the team’s expression they gave up. The mentality this year was completely different, this team fought hard and made some really good plays on both sides of the ball. The next step for Nebraska in order for the effort and plays that we made to show up on the final scoreboard is to eliminate the mistakes- teams like Ohio State just don’t make very many of them (3 penalties for 14 yards, 1 fumble). Overall this was a very pleasing start to the year, but we need to follow it up with the same intensity and physicality against Wisconsin this week. While they are less athletic than Ohio State may be, they propose a completely different challenge to our defense. This and Iowa are the two games I’m most curious to see how we respond going forward. 

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

One of the best points that was made on Saturday was by Urban Meyer (as much as I hate him he’s a great analyst for FOX and hope he stays around a long long time). He said 80% of pass defense is pass rush. Let that sink in for a moment- EIGHTY PERCENT of pass defense according to one of the best coaches in the history of the modern game has nothing to do with the DB’s. And then think back to our misses at DE/OLB over the past few classes. This is the number one area Nebraska needs to get better at in order to make the next jump as a defense. Getting more athletic at the DE/OLB spot is ENORMOUS for our future successes. 

Great points. Makes me think of the effect Shaquem Griffin had in Frost's undefeated season at UCF.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Great points. Makes me think of the effect Shaquem Griffin had in Frost's undefeated season at UCF.

Exactly. And not only that, but when you look back at it, that team had not just Griffin at LB who is a NFL guy, but also Mike Hughes (first round pick) at corner, Trysten Hill (second round pick) at DT, and Nate Evans (Jags practice squad) to pair with Tre Neal (good college player), Kyle Gibson (great college player) and Richie Grant (will be drafted this year) on the defense to go with him. When you have a top 60 pick at DT and an All-American caliber OLB rushing/spying the QB to pair with a first round corner, then you really have something defensively.

3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Also- shoutout to Damion Daniels. He plays nose so he won’t get many stats but I thought he played really well for the most part. 

Keem Green to me was somewhat disappointing. Regularly felt like he was getting pushed off the ball and he doesn’t look as athletic as I had hoped. 

He got destroyed on one play and just got made to look like he didn't belong.

22 hours ago, Mavric said:

What a play by Honas on his first quarter sack.  We brought JoJo on a blitz from a coverage alignment so it took him a bit to get pressure on Fields.  Coverage is good and JoJo gets pressure but can't bring him down.  At one point Honas is 12 yards off the line of scrimmage dropping into his zone.  But when he sees Fields scramble - going away from him no less - he flies up and gets the sack.

Loss of five yards.  He probably ran 30 yards from where he was in his zone to where he got the sack.

• Fire 1
22 hours ago, Mavric said:

From the oh-so-close department: following those two plays we get them to 4th & 5.  We bring six and don't get a lot of pressure on the quick throw but Rodgers gets a hand on the pass.  Still complete.  And they score on the drive.  Would have been a great stop.

15 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

A few years ago, either Frost's first or second class, there was a thread on here where we rated the recruiting class by position. Even back then, I felt that pass rushing OLBs were the #1 thing our roster lacked. That class didn't bring much help in that department, so I gave it an F for OLBs. Frankly, I wouldn't rate the subsequent classes a whole lot higher than that - we've had WAY too many misses there. :(

17 minutes ago, Toe said:

A few years ago, either Frost's first or second class, there was a thread on here where we rated the recruiting class by position. Even back then, I felt that pass rushing OLBs were the #1 thing our roster lacked. That class didn't bring much help in that department, so I gave it an F for OLBs. Frankly, I wouldn't rate the subsequent classes a whole lot higher than that - we've had WAY too many misses there. :(

Such a small pool of elite talent isn’t it. The last one I can think of is Gregory, and he was a juco.  I am surprised we can’t at least find one every two years, but here we are.  

I came back here to edit my response, Gregory was obviously not a OLB.

6 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I feel like you can't say there were some parts of the defense I was pleasantly surprised with when they score 52 but also at the same time there were.

I've only made it part way through the second quarter.  There are definitely things to like.

But I have a feeling that might shift as the game goes along.  :(