Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

Three Husker defenders in the backfield when he makes the tackle. The rest of the line/LBs are either at the line of scrimmage or within a yard and beating their blocks. These the are the sort of things we haven't seen on our DL in a long time and against a lesser OL it'll be a huge win.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Three Husker defenders in the backfield when he makes the tackle. The rest of the line/LBs are either at the line of scrimmage or within a yard and beating their blocks. These the are the sort of things we haven't seen on our DL in a long time and against a lesser OL it'll be a huge win.

tenor.gif?itemid=4778661

• Haha 6

The OSU game was a prime example of playing off and soft.  I understand keeping wideouts in front of you until the field shortens in the redzone, but I prefer jamming at the line occasionally.  Nothing helps a QB's confidence, timing and rhythm then seeing corners playing back.  Hope they mix it up more often.

13 hours ago, admo said:

The OSU game was a prime example of playing off and soft.  I understand keeping wideouts in front of you until the field shortens in the redzone, but I prefer jamming at the line occasionally.  Nothing helps a QB's confidence, timing and rhythm then seeing corners playing back.  Hope they mix it up more often.

Coverage much tighter today, as expected.

We still just have a couple drives a game where they don't look ready, but overall that was a good defensive performance. I get that teams come out with new wrinkles and everything, but we can't give them the first drive each half. 

Felt like we got decent pressure, but we needed to get home more often. Reimer is a baller - future seems brighter for the defense at least.  

Robinson is leading up front with some big effort plays and moving people around well. Rest of D-line seems average, but I haven't paid a lot of attention. Green, Stille, Daniels, and Rogers seem to have moments, but none have seemed to be difference makers. 

Reimer has been great. Hustles every play, run fits well, and wraps up. Honas played assignment football and did well in coverage especially on a screen that was well setup otherwise. Heinrich was good in pass rush when on the field, but I don't know how many reps he got.

Secondary seems to be experienced and I have noticed on play action roll outs linebackers and secondary rotate over well and get assignments taken in. I noticed in the first half that the safety to was supposed to help on the QB when the LB took the TE was late compared to our starter, but overall we have a lot of talent (Farmer picks) and experienced players who generally do well. The younger guys also probably need to work on angles and tackling, but they have time to learn.

Edit: Cam Britt was one of the shoulder charges. Larry Asante would have been proud. :lol:

Edited by deedsker