Defensive Play Discussion

Mavric

Best thing I saw was perhaps Chin learning a lesson from last year.  Those last two PSU drives if this was last year, Chin just sits in a more prevent look and only rushes 3 sometimes 4.   This year he brought extra rushers, and wasn't giving 15 yard cushions the whole way down the field.

Again, second week in a row I am doing this, props to the guy.

Would've like him to realize the need for a spy against Levis a lot earlier is the only gripe

• Plus1 4

Anyone else wonder if on longer 3rd downs we should be putting in an extra DL instead of OLB as one of the designated pass rushers?

Just looking at performance to date, I would rather see just about any of our 2-deep DL in instead of Nelson, Tannor or Payne, with Domann as the OLB on the other side.

I would also argue with the preponderance of athletic QB's in the B1G, collapsing the pocket appears more effective in keeping them contained than speed rushing way outside the very good OT's that are also common in the B1G.

6 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Anyone else wonder if on longer 3rd downs we should be putting in an extra DL instead of OLB as one of the designated pass rushers?

Just looking at performance to date, I would rather see just about any of our 2-deep DL in instead of Nelson, Tannor or Payne, with Domann as the OLB on the other side.

I would also argue with the preponderance of athletic QB's in the B1G, collapsing the pocket appears more effective in keeping them contained than speed rushing way outside the very good OT's that are also common in the B1G.

Having Stille and Robinson rushing up the middle is a great start. Payne needs to be on the field, and Domann brings a nice wrinkle as a potential blitzer.  That’s basically the front 4 during the last 2 drives of the game. 

Oh my, can we talk about the players/coaches letting players have at it when the field shortened. So many times Domann, Williams, or Dismuke had free run to charge into the backfield and take the QB on the mesh. Inside line was holding down the fort for the most part and the backup QB wanted to be the guy to make the plays. In the red zone, we clamped down on the zone reads very well.

• Plus1 2

I thought we did a nice job of bringing blitzes from different looks and doing it fairly regularly.

However, I didn't like how many times we brought blitzes from the secondary where they were so far away at the snap that even if they wouldn't have gotten blocked they couldn't get there in time.

• Plus1 5
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

I thought we did a nice job of bringing blitzes from different looks and doing it fairly regularly.

However, I didn't like how many times we brought blitzes from the secondary where they were so far away at the snap that even if they wouldn't have gotten blocked they couldn't get there in time.

Totally agree with this.  That was frustrating to watch.