Wisconsin QB

30 minutes ago, Undone said:

He'll have to take a PCR test tomorrow morning. If it shows positive, he's out.

21 days.......Ridiculous.  I don't know why it can be the CDC 10-14 days...  Especially with the availability of the testing the players have access to.

16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Will our results be made public like this? 

IIRC, Frost or Moos said we wouldn't make the names public.

38 minutes ago, lo country said:

21 days.......Ridiculous.  I don't know why it can be the CDC 10-14 days...  Especially with the availability of the testing the players have access to.

IIRC, Frost or Moos said we wouldn't make the names public.

I believe the reasoning was 14 days for quarantine/cardiac testing and then 7 days to get back up to speed/game ready as they can't practice for 14. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

One last item.  The CDC's 10 day recommendation which is that you may end self-isolation when you are 10 days post onset of symptoms AND have no fever for 24 hours without taking any fever reducing medications AND have improvement in symptoms, though resolution of symptoms is not required.  The former re-testing protocol has been discontinued because they have not been able to isolate replicable viral RNA (essentially infectious virus) by 10 days in anyone with mild or moderate symptoms that meets those criteria.  They have been able to isolate non-replicable viral RNA in many people for weeks after infection.

So CDC says you can end self-isolation 10 days after symptoms start or 10 days after a positive test if you were tested due to a COVID contact.  In terms of athletes as an example, if an athlete has symptoms on Nov 1 and has a positive test on Nov 3, they would be required to self-isolate until Nov 11, at which point thay could return to in person activities, like classroom activities etc.  They would be evaluated with EKG, high sensitivity troponin (a marker for cardiac injury) and an echocardiogram.  I believe that they also may have to get a cardia MRI.  If these are negative, they are put in a monitored re-conditioning protocol.  This usually is 10-15 minutes of sub maximal exercise and gradually increases over the next 6 days to full participation.

One final thought on the positive antigen test.  I suspect that Nick Saban had a false positive rapid antigen test and then had 3 neg PCR tests so he was allowed to return to the sideline.  Don't know that for certain, but seems logical.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 5

The vast majority of people don't have heart problems from Covid.  Why not test people for the rare issue instead of making everyone miss the extra week?  I'm up to 43 friends and members of family that have had it.  From my personal experience, I don't think longer periods out of football are justified.  After all, we don't even check people after other illnesses that are proven to cause the same side effects.

• Thanks 1