Wisconsin QB

1 hour ago, drfish said:

Myocarditis is the 3rd leading cause of sudden death in athletes.  COVID causes myocarditis, including MRI findings in athletes with MILD or NO symptoms.  

/rant

Additionally, I suspect that you and your 43 friends would not be a very close match for the stresses put on a body by the rigors of division 1 competitive athletics, so your observations are pretty meaningless in assessing the risk to said athletes.  Except, perhaps the incautious nature of people of that age.  

I know quite a few people who have dealt with COVID as well.  2 or 3 who had it in May are still having headaches and fatigue causing a major impact on their ability to return to their previous level of function.  I know several more who had a rough time of it, including hospitalization.  This group does not compare well with the athletes in question either.  I also know people who have lost friends and family members to COVID, so take that for what it is worth as well.

It is possible that we are being more cautious than is necessary, but we do not know enough to know that.  Is it better to err on the side of caution or err on the side of recklessness.  How many potentially preventable deaths are acceptable in your estimation?  

I don't necessarily mean to be harsh, but being on the front lines, I am losing patience with COVID minimizers.  If your point is to imply that COVID is not as bad as it is being made out to be, please spare me.  There have been 300,000 more deaths in 2020 than would be expected to occur based on usual all-cause mortality.  It is likely that COVID related deaths are being under-reported not over-reported.   

/endrant

Back to the thread.  Anyway, if Mertz is unable to go and Wisconsin doesn't have an outbreak that prevents the game from occuring, this is a stroke of luck for the Huskers since they will be down two DB starters for the first half.  Hopefully, he does not have it, though.

It's not as bad for 18-22 year old kids, mortality rate not a lot higher than that of influenza. One could also argue that while the stresses of college life and athletics are higher, these young men are also in peak physical condition, with stronger immune systems to ward off nearly all viruses. 

Speculation, of course, and doesn't account for anyone older they may come into contact with. I would never presume to minimize the seriousness of covid, but this isn't the Spanish Flu, where mortality rates were highest among the college age range.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

It's not as bad for 18-22 year old kids, mortality rate not a lot higher than that of influenza. One could also argue that while the stresses of college life and athletics are higher, these young men are also in peak physical condition, with stronger immune systems to ward off nearly all viruses. 

Speculation, of course, and doesn't account for anyone older they may come into contact with. I would never presume to minimize the seriousness of covid, but this isn't the Spanish Flu, where mortality rates were highest among the college age range.

More relevant than age is likely race as the majority of all levels of college football are African American and statistically more likely to be effected by COVID due to preexisting conditions. 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Jeremy said:

watching someone tell a doctor how covid isn't so bad.

:snacks:

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, drfish said:

The mortality rate for COVID-19 in those age 10 to 20 (the closest group was reported) was 0.2% .  The mortality of influneza in 2019 was 0.002% (ages 5-17).  For 2018 the mortality rate of influenza was 0.007% in that age group.  This is a moratilty rate that is 100 times higher than influenzas.  Please stop spouting off information of the top of your head or that you have heard some other ill-informed person say and check the S@#t out.  Also, for those who are interested in that sort of thing there is a book, "The Psychology of Pandemic" that goes into peoples reactions to pandemic events.  It is surprising how similar it is compared to 1918, and the 1300's (bubonic plaque).  A good read. 

Mods please forgive me, I was only trying to provide context for the rationale behind the Big Ten COVID protocol.  I promise that this is that last ignorant post I will respond to in this thread.  

What does it mean for Wisconsin if Mertz is confirmed positive.   What does it mean for Nebraska if he isn't?  Those would be interesting things to discuss.

Drfish I just want say thanks for all you and your cohorts are doing.  I don't know how you do it but your courage is incredibly inspiring. 

I had to speak at a meeting this weekend with 50 some people, inside, will minimal ventilation.  Masks were "required" and of course the first two people I see were maskless and then another lady wanted to give my coworker a hug.  I'm just praying this wasn't a local super speader. 

I know this is way off topic but again thanks.  Some of us still believe in science and scientists.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

Personally, I hope Mertz positive test turns out to be a false positive one.  I am encouraged by what I saw from the defense during the first half at OSU.  I am hopeful that the coverage will tighten up a bit, but I doubt Mertz has as much escape ability as Fields does.  It wasn't a fluke that the score was tied with 4 minutes to go in the half.  If Nebraska corrects the correctable, they have a good shot against most of the rest.  

• Plus1 4

6 minutes ago, commando said:

it's possible that wisconsin doesn't say anything about it now.    they might want nebraska to guess which QB will start for them.   as far as i know they don't have to confirm that he is confirmed positive today. 

True- but it is pretty hard to keep it a secret. Guessing any joe blow or media guy could tell pretty easily if Mertz is not at practice or working out with the team. 

lifted from buckyville.   it's nothing official so take it for what it's worth but he claims 1 of the players says there are 9 positives.

•  

8 minutes ago#171

Braelon Allen stayed last night that he’s heard 9 players are positive. If so, likely that not all are false positive tests. Fingers crossed affected players can recover and not have any lingering problems. This virus is not so friendly.
7 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Am I being an as$ if my first thought was that he got it after having such a great game on Friday that he partied a bunch over the weekend afterwards? Obviously, just speculation as Madison is already a hotbed and could even be a false positive. 

You aren't being an a$$.  I am sure a lot of us were thinking it.  He probably enjoyed his Friday and Saturday nights after his first game.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2