Wisconsin QB

16 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Am I being an as$ if my first thought was that he got it after having such a great game on Friday that he partied a bunch over the weekend afterwards? Obviously, just speculation as Madison is already a hotbed and could even be a false positive. 

He tested positive Sunday morning.  So, it would have had to be a pretty dang fast infection to stay out late on Saturday night then wake up Sunday morning and test positive.

Not sure how fast that works.

I hope it's a false positive and he plays.  I want to play Wisconsin without an asterisk beside the game if we win.

EDIT:  Sorry, Forgot he didn't play on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Jeremy said:

It's not as bad for 18-22 year old kids, mortality rate not a lot higher than that of influenza. One could also argue that while the stresses of college life and athletics are higher, these young men are also in peak physical condition, with stronger immune systems to ward off nearly all viruses. 

Speculation, of course, and doesn't account for anyone older they may come into contact with. I would never presume to minimize the seriousness of covid, but this isn't the Spanish Flu, where mortality rates were highest among the college age range.

I mean, you DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night, right?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

He tested positive Sunday morning.  So, it would have had to be a pretty dang fast infection to stay out late on Saturday night then wake up Sunday morning and test positive.

Not sure how fast that works.

I hope it's a false positive and he plays.  I want to play Wisconsin without an asterisk beside the game if we win.

EDIT:  Sorry, Forgot he didn't play on Saturday.

Personally I dont think there is an asterisk for beating wisconsin. Whether we play them with their backup QB or 3rd string QB. Will it be an asterisk if Wisconsin beats Nebraska in a close game because we lost 2 starting DB's for the 1st half? Nope. Thats football. Injuries, illness etc is part of the game.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Personally I dont think there is an asterisk for beating wisconsin. Whether we play them with their backup QB or 3rd string QB. Will it be an asterisk if Wisconsin beats Nebraska in a close game because we lost 2 starting DB's for the 1st half? Nope. Thats football. Injuries, illness etc is part of the game.

Bingo, sure it'll be debated if Mertz doesn't play but it is a team versus team game. I hope he does play and I also hope Manning plays for us. Should be a fun game to watch and I think we're going to be competitive regardless of who is out there for them. 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Don't disagree.  But, there will be some that say that.

It's a team sport and in 2020, part of that is staying healthy.  If we do a better job of that, then that's part of how we are better.

6 hours ago, drfish said:

The mortality rate for COVID-19 in those age 10 to 20 (the closest group was reported) was 0.2% .  The mortality of influneza in 2019 was 0.002% (ages 5-17).  For 2018 the mortality rate of influenza was 0.007% in that age group.  This is a moratilty rate that is 100 times higher than influenzas.  Please stop spouting off information of the top of your head or that you have heard some other ill-informed person say and check the S@#t out.  Also, for those who are interested in that sort of thing there is a book, "The Psychology of Pandemic" that goes into peoples reactions to pandemic events.  It is surprising how similar it is compared to 1918, and the 1300's (bubonic plaque).  A good read. 

Mods please forgive me, I was only trying to provide context for the rationale behind the Big Ten COVID protocol.  I promise that this is that last ignorant post I will respond to in this thread.  

What does it mean for Wisconsin if Mertz is confirmed positive.   What does it mean for Nebraska if he isn't?  Those would be interesting things to discuss.

That's not what I'm seeing, and  I don't see how it's ignorant.

5e81f6460c2a6261b1771b05.jpeg

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4

Red Denver and Knapplc are right, current data is more convincing.

State of Nebraska cases as of 10/25/2020 -https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd

9,200 cases of people 0-19 years old.  1 total death (documented underlying conditions) = .010% death rate

19,700 cases of people 20-34 years old.  10 total deaths (some documented underlying) = .050% death rate

Both are close to the CDC averages for flu deaths.  Also of note, a large % of cases in these age ranges go completely unreported as the people never get sick enough to justify a test per medical providers guidelines.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Am I being an as$ if my first thought was that he got it after having such a great game on Friday that he partied a bunch over the weekend afterwards? Obviously, just speculation as Madison is already a hotbed and could even be a false positive. 

Was literally my first thought maybe because that’s what I would done