Wisconsin QB

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Red Denver and Knapplc are right, current data is more convincing.

State of Nebraska cases as of 10/25/2020 -https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd

9,200 cases of people 0-19 years old.  1 total death (documented underlying conditions) = .010% death rate

19,700 cases of people 20-34 years old.  10 total deaths (some documented underlying) = .050% death rate

Both are close to the CDC averages for flu deaths.  Also of note, a large % of cases in these age ranges go completely unreported as the people never get sick enough to justify a test per medical providers guidelines.  

You can't just say it's close to the CDC averages for flu deaths. What's the flu mortality rate for Nebraska in the 0-19 and 20-34 age ranges?

3 hours ago, 307husker said:

My primary concern is that more of the team may also test positive forcing a cancellation of the game.  It might be nice to get WI without their emerging star QB, but I'd rather play them with Mertz than not play them at all.

This is my concern as well, especially after seeing rumors of more Badger players testing positive. If Wiscy’s population positivity rate exceeds 7.5% (and they exceed 5% positives on testing) they’ll be done dealing for 7 days and our game will be cancelled. Guessing 7.5% is somewhere around 12 players....

As far as Mertz being out and the game possibly having an asterisk, I don’t care. Is anybody giving it an asterisk now because of the ridiculous targeting ejection in the tOSU game? If the teams get to meet on the playing field, there is no asterisk in my book. Screw Wisconsin.

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You can't just say it's close to the CDC averages for flu deaths. What's the flu mortality rate for Nebraska in the 0-19 and 20-34 age ranges?

Hard for an apples to apples comparison due to how they organize data. The best I could find for apples to apples was ages 0-49. 

For ages 0-49 there was an estimated 23 Million Symptomatic Flu Cases, there was 8,500 deaths (Data from 18-19, CDC).

For ages 0-49 there has been 4 million COVID Cases, there has been 8,100 deaths (Data from CDC).

Here is where it gets tricky. There was an estimated 41+ Million Flu cases for that age group in 18-19 (CDC), I have seen estimates that the true COVID case number is 5x higher, I've seen estimates that it's 10x higher. If its 10x higher, then mortality rate would be the same as the 18-19 flu. If its 5x higher, then COVID would be twice as deadly for people under 50 as the flu. 

So people who are saying it's for sure less deadly, would have to know the true case number, which even top scientists from MIT are still trying to figure out. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I have not seen that age class listed specifically.  The over rate listed here is .016%  https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/nebraska/nebraska.htm

Assuming Nebraska's data is similar to other states, the majority of the deaths would be in the elderly age classes, similar to Covid.  

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hard for an apples to apples comparison due to how they organize data. The best I could find for apples to apples was ages 0-49. 

For ages 0-49 there was an estimated 23 Million Symptomatic Flu Cases, there was 8,500 deaths (Data from 18-19, CDC).

For ages 0-49 there has been 4 million COVID Cases, there has been 8,100 deaths (Data from CDC).

Here is where it gets tricky. There was an estimated 41+ Million Flu cases for that age group in 18-19 (CDC), I have seen estimates that the true COVID case number is 5x higher, I've seen estimates that it's 10x higher. If its 10x higher, then mortality rate would be the same as the 18-19 flu. If its 5x higher, then COVID would be twice as deadly for people under 50 as the flu. 

So people who are saying it's for sure less deadly, would have to know the true case number, which even top scientists from MIT are still trying to figure out. 

You are very clear in your explanation and I appreciate that. 

I would assume that the Flu would be underreported as well. A time or two I have went to urgent care and doctor has said, “symptoms consisted with Flu, do you want swabbed?” And because it doesn’t change the treatment, I said no.  Also, many strains of the Flu out there, but only one Covid. In 2017 I had B in  February and A in October.

And here is where I disagree with you. At least I think I do, but underreported cases would only decrease the death rate.  

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

You are very clear in your explanation and I appreciate that. 

I would assume that the Flu would be underreported as well. A time or two I have went to urgent care and doctor has said, “symptoms consisted with Flu, do you want swabbed?” And because it doesn’t change the treatment, I said no.  Also, many strains of the Flu out there, but only one Covid. In 2017 I had B in  February and A in October.

And here is where I disagree with you. At least I think I do, but underreported cases would only decrease the death rate.  

They are so much better at estimating total flu cases (not just symptomatic) - so the 41 million cases is probably pretty close. So for that age group we can assume 41,000,000 cases and roughly 8,500 deaths. With COVID, we aren't good at estimating total cases, there could be 20 million for the 0-49 age group, or there could be 40 million. If its the 40 million total cases then 8,100 deaths out of 40,000,000 cases from COVID is pretty damn close to the 8,500 deaths out of 41,000,000 cases of Flu. But if there is only 20,000,000 total cases of COVID for the 0-49 age group, it would indicate COVID would be 2x as deadly as the flu. Without knowing the true number of cases of COVID for the 0-49 age group, it makes it really hard to compare it to the flu.

^I think we agree, just wanted to clarify further!

• Plus1 1

I apologize if anyone inferred my statements as trying to minimize the severity of covid. I was absolutely being ignorant and wrong concerning covid's lethality among young people vs that of the flu.

Hopefully Mertz and the other infected Badgers are asymptomatic. I really hope it doesn't spread among our beloved Huskers.

Somewhat unrelated, but does anyone else know of a youtube hooper called 'The Professor'? He's an incredible player, early-30's with a huge following, and he caught covid two months ago. He was sick for more than a month, but luckily has come through okay. However, he's struggling to get back in shape, gasping for breath out on the court, due to the infection- a month later. I hope this vaccine is legit, and comes out soon.

• Plus1 3

Simply put peeps...

COVID is real, its lethal and we should all hope nobody is exposed or stricken by it. It angers me when I hear prominent people (like a head coach) state otherwise. To say it mostly only affects the elderly and those with preexisting conditions is a horrible disservice to the public as a whole. For heavens sake, be smart, be safe, be gracious and be respectful to everyone as much as possible. Lets hope and pray that Wisconsin fans, athletes and staffs learn the test was a false positive so this young man, his teammates, coaches, friends and family can all rest easy.

Also so when we win there's no excuses. (thats the husker talk in me :facepalm:) GBR!!! Beat Wisky!!!

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I apologize if anyone inferred my statements as trying to minimize the severity of covid. I was absolutely being ignorant and wrong concerning covid's lethality among young people vs that of the flu.

Hopefully Mertz and the other infected Badgers are asymptomatic. I really hope it doesn't spread among our beloved Huskers.

Somewhat unrelated, but does anyone else know of a youtube hooper called 'The Professor'? He's an incredible player, early-30's with a huge following, and he caught covid two months ago. He was sick for more than a month, but luckily has come through okay. However, he's struggling to get back in shape, gasping for breath out on the court, due to the infection- a month later. I hope this vaccine is legit, and comes out soon.

50 Hail Mary’s for you!! 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Alright let's curb this Covid argument and check in on our friends in Buckyville.  

TheBrookBucky writes,

"I just took a dump while urinating myself."

Wow, great analysis TheBrookBucky! I hope you washed your hands afterwards too.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buckyville/mertz-with-one-positive-covid-test-t102482.html

lmao... my favorite comment on that thread:

10:26 PM - 1 day ago#14

Send the second tests to the same lab Nick used in Tuscaloosa

• Plus1 1

Why would the media even know about the positive result for a specific player unless he told them himself? According to fans, they don’t report health stuff either because it’s obviously a violation of rights. Players were banned from talking with media as today was their weekly media day. 

One or two Wincy fans joked that it wasn’t unlike Chyst to put out misleading info so we don’t what QB to prepare for.