Wisconsin Game Cancelled

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Folks--I didn't see this linked, but for Wisky, 11 is the magic number.

If Wisky has more than 11 positives that are still positive come Friday, game is cancelled. Don't know what the magic number for Nebraska is, but I'd wager it's similar considering the finite number of tests each team has per day. 

https://badgerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/27/wisconsin-badgers-football-covid-19-positive-tests-nebraska-game-cancellation/

I thought it wasn't just the roster, and it included coaching staff, support staff, and other people involved with the day-to-day activities of the team.  I could be wrong though, the 5% number was always confusing to me, because it was unclear who would be counted in the denominator of the calculation.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought it wasn't just the roster, and it included coaching staff, support staff, and other people involved with the day-to-day activities of the team.  I could be wrong though, the 5% number was always confusing to me, because it was unclear who would be counted in the denominator of the calculation.

Yes, that magic number includes staff, players, and coaches. Each team has a finite number of daily tests (remember how we were hitting that ceiling thanks to our walk-ons?) so I'd wager our own magic number isn't too far off that. 

8 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

Not to be nit-picky, but the math comes to 10.95 players (@ 7.5% of the population) which means - as far as I understand it - if they have 11 players/coaches test positive on the 7-day rolling average that game won't be played.

No, you're not and you're right--it's 11 or more staff, coaches, or players. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My understanding as well

Edit: should have kept reading. 

Sorry @VectorVictor

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

This is why the league needed to get their a$$es in gear and get the season started two weeks earlier so we could have two byes worked in.

And, ironically, wasn't it Barry and the Badgers who slow-walked the start date in order to get their house in order?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

The completely unsurprising result of trying to play 9 weeks in a row with no opportunity to reschedule games.

The way the Big10 set it up with a 21 day period missing one game with an outbreak means missing 2/3 games guaranteed - so they saw no reason to build in breaks.  Also they had no interest in starting or finishing a season.  Sounds like in some cases the average could get them back after a week....

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

If Wisconsin has to shut down this week, then they have to miss the next 3 weeks while they go through the 21 day protocol, and I believe they are ineligible for Indianapolis

I read earlier that the 21 days starts from the day of the positive test.  So since Mertz tested positive on Saturday, he would be eligible for Michigan in two weeks (Saturday being Day 1 so that Friday would be Day 21).  Not sure when the others were tested (probably later).

• Mavric changed the title to Wisconsin Game Cancelled