Wisconsin Game Cancelled

5 hours ago, TheSker said:

The only place this is a "public spat" is by the media.....which is zero surprise 

With no football game, the media still needs clicks for their advertising numbers.

Moos via Green asked if a substitute game would be considered.  The conference voted no.

Leave it to the internet and media to create high drama with no proof it's there.

How did “the media” get the story? We made it public. That’s what I’m talking about. This whole thing has been engineered by Nebraska to get people talking. It’s a bad look. 

Just now, Branno said:

How did “the media” get the story? We made it public. That’s what I’m talking about. This whole thing has been engineered by Nebraska to get people talking. It’s a bad look. 

I don't think you know that. You have no idea who the Big Ten front office is talking to. Reporters around the country cite sources in the Big Ten office.

Why wouldn't they have told these reporters?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't think you know that. You have no idea who the Big Ten front office is talking to. Reporters around the country cite sources in the Big Ten office.

Why wouldn't they have told these reporters?

They cite sources confirming the decision, but that doesn’t mean they were the original source. 

What about the whole NU/B1G saga makes you think it wasn’t us that leaked this? 

Regardless, we shouldn’t have started talks with UTC until we had approval. The way we went about things was wrong. 

1 minute ago, Branno said:

They cite sources confirming the decision, but that doesn’t mean they were the original source. 

Regardless, we shouldn’t have started talks with UTC until we had approval. The way we went about things was wrong. 

Had heard rumbling of reschedule but didn’t know UTC until their writers tweeted something..:15 minutes before shooting it down 

Just now, Branno said:

I don't know who leaked it, nor does anyone else. So making conclusions about who does or does not look bad isn't something we can base on who's trying to control the story.

Frost & Moos want to play football. The press is going to know about that. The extremely mild statements they've released have done nothing to ruin Nebraska's standing. Any bad press is coming from... the press.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Branno said:

The last thing we need is teams forced to play a game when it’s not safe to do so. 

This conspiracy none sense needs to stop. Covid is spreading through Wisconsin and it’s football team like wildfire. Let’s stop worrying about a damned game and worry more about public health.

5 hours ago, macroboy said:

It is amazing to me that so many of you went down the college football Q anon path when anybody paying even a minimal amount of attention had to know the number of positive tests at Wisconsin would continue to grow during the week.

Here is all that should have been said:

I am very glad that the student athletes, the young men, whose safety was entrusted to the university, and who we care about both as athletes and human being, don't have to go play a team with a virus outbreak to appease our jock sniffing gladiator syndrome and need for validation through sportsball.

The issue is not simply that our game got cancelled due to Covid. Any reasonable person will agree that if the virus spread is out of control, games should be cancelled. But the problem is the B1G rules left a large grey area in that determination that allows teams to game the system. If/When the danger from Covid is great enough, then the conference should cancel activities. Wisconsin did not trip that limit in the rules and chose to cancel themselves. Common sense tells me (maybe not you) that should be a forfeit loss situation. You can call it a Q conspiracy all you want but anyone with half a brain knows they do not choose to cancel if their top 2 QBs and head coach could’ve participated. Therefore their decision is predicated much more on their ability to be competitive and less on the safety and welfare of their players.

Maybe the conference should have set the red/red limits lower but they definitely shouldn’t have left these orange/orange and orange/red decisions up to the individual schools without some incentive to participate when able. And it seems to me to be extremely convenient that Barry Alvarez, of all people involved, had the greatest influence in developing these rules as the head of the B1G competition committee. If anyone understood how this system could be manipulated to a teams advantage it was Barry. If you want to call that a conspiracy theory, go right ahead.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And it seems to me to be extremely convenient that Barry Alvarez, of all people involved, had the greatest influence in developing these rules as the head of the B1G competition committee. If anyone understood how this system could be manipulated to a teams advantage it was Barry. If you want to call that a conspiracy theory, go right ahead.

And the irony now is he is leading the charge to change the "agreed upon by all institutions" 21 day mandate

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
50 minutes ago, Branno said:

The Big Ten was aware we were talking to them and it had gone through several layers of discussions and decisions from the conference.  It was the last layer that said no.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Branno said:

The last thing we need is teams forced to play a game when it’s not safe to do so. 

This conspiracy none sense needs to stop. Covid is spreading through Wisconsin and it’s football team like wildfire. Let’s stop worrying about a damned game and worry more about public health.

Darn you for making sense.  :laughpound

Look folks - I have two high school age kiddos, one a freshman, the other a senior.  Here in Omaha, they sent high school kids back to school on 10/19.  FOUR DAYS LATER, I started getting emails about COVID positive cases at the first school.  Then, three days later, I started getting COVID positive case emails from the OTHER school.

I'm all about football.  Trust me, I rather enjoyed watching Michigan lose to "Little brother" today.

That being said, I'm all about football when it's not becoming a super spreader event.

Kids are going to want to play, of course.  The grown ups need to make the right decisions here, for everyone's well being.

This isn't a political issue, no matter who or what tries to make it into one.  This is a PUBLIC HEALTH SAFETY issue.

LAST POINT:

If this is REALLY about the kids playing ball/sports....then how come I don't see a single article/post/story/outrage about kids being able to save THIS year of eligibility?  If this is REALLY about the kids....do we think it is fair to make them waste a year's worth of eligibility on games that they can't play in because of sickness (albeit their team or other team's sickness)?

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

LAST POINT:

If this is REALLY about the kids playing ball/sports....then how come I don't see a single article/post/story/outrage about kids being able to save THIS year of eligibility?  If this is REALLY about the kids....do we think it is fair to make them waste a year's worth of eligibility on games that they can't play in because of sickness (albeit their team or other team's sickness)?

Because no player is losing a year of eligibility this year.  Was announced long ago

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Branno said:

Well they didn't exactly have a lot of time to come up with a plan if their goal was to play a game.  Screw going through the. "proper channels".   The BIG Ten has crapped the bed with this whole COVID-2020 season thus far.  Sometimes you have to be a little pro-active if you want to accomplish your goals.  Even if it means initially bypassing the B1G brass, which has already proved to be incompetent with the issue.  I have absolutely zero problem with what NU did.  

There is literally no one in the media that thinks what NU is doing is bad...But there are LOTS of people in the media that know it gets clicks and makes for good sound bites to say that it is bad...

Those guys NEED football for their jobs.  Right now they are just playing the part that will get them more air time. 

They are in sales, that is their job, they are salesmen.

• Plus1 5
36 minutes ago, teachercd said:

There is literally no one in the media that thinks what NU is doing is bad...But there are LOTS of people in the media that know it gets clicks and makes for good sound bites to say that it is bad...

Those guys NEED football for their jobs.  Right now they are just playing the part that will get them more air time. 

They are in sales, that is their job, they are salesmen.

Maybe it is the Yuengling and Fireball speaking, but teach nailed it!

• Haha 1