Wisconsin Game Cancelled

37 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

Its possible, but its kinda ironic that they are down to there fourth string quarterback.  I am pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot, we would be playing this game.

They're down to their fourth-string quarterback ... because they're having an outbreak

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely worse that they're choosing not to play rather than being forced not to play - I can see an argument for the forfeit there. But on the flip side if it is being transmitted on the field I'd rather not play them, I know there's sometimes a delay in testing positive. Don't want them to wreck the season even more by spreading it to us. 

It's very possible that they pretty much know it's going to get worse and ultimately be canceled anyway.  So, they want to start now shutting things down so they can get back to paying quicker.  If they have to shut down for 7 days, that lets them get back to work maybe early enough next week to play the next game.

If the wedding rumor is true, I hope they had a lot of fun, because it was a stupid decision for some to go too.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

They're down to their fourth-string quarterback ... because they're having an outbreak

Does this help?

FACTS

1.  Wisconsin 1st and 3rd string QB's tested positive for covid

2.  Wisconsin 2nd string QB was Injured 

3.  Wisconsin is down to its fourth string QB

4.  Wisconsin Football team numbers put them in the category where they could make the choice to play or not.  

5.  Wisconsin chose to cancel the game

MY OPINION - a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

1.  Wisconsin cancelled the game because they didn't want to play against NU with there fourth string QB

2.  Nebraska would have played this game if we were down to our fourth string QB

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The amount of cry-a$$ing in this thread is amazing. Did anyone actually think all the games would be played during a pandemic? Welcome to 2020 folks!

I doubt most people expected all games to be played, but the fact that Nebraska is involved in the first cancellation is just so 2020/Nebraska football for the last 20+ years.

I think for a lot of people its just a venting situation.  It will get really ugly if Wisconsin plays next week. 

• Plus1 6

God Bless the Nebraska athletic department for (apparently) trying to find another game. I love the relentless pursuit to play.

I imagine the fact that it was their top 2 QBs and their head coach played a huge part in deciding to cancel. If it were their 3rd team secondary and a long snapper, I'm sure it would be game on.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally think this is probably a bit much but the Big Man at Rivals pulling no punches:

Nebraska is being targeted and screwed.

To me it’s clear that the Huskers are getting the screws put to them by the Big Ten. They were vocal about playing this season and obviously rattled some cages at the Big Ten office and were rewarded with Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State in their first four games. Now the Badgers lose some key players to COVID and the game against the Huskers is cancelled when they would have a very good chance to win. What if this wasn’t Barry Alvarez’s team? Alvarez is, after all, the puppet master of the Big Ten. What if it was Nebraska who was missing two QBs? You think they’d cancel a game against Wisconsin? No chance. It’s clear this is a message to the Huskers for their daring take that we should actually play football this season and even though Nebraska helped save the football season in the Big Ten this kind of punishment will continue for years to come. And it’s petty and unprofessional and the leadership at the Big Ten, Alvarez included, should be ashamed. These are the people that postponed the season, got egg on their face when others played and then started the season so late that there is no wiggle room to postpone a game like they can in the Big 12, SEC and ACC. And it’s simply ridiculous.

I have vented. Thank you.

• Plus1 4