Wisconsin Game Cancelled

NU is on the way up. Teams see this.  We played with injures across the board to key players.  I know it's not covid, but KSU played missing like 11+ dudes and won.......Remember when we had the RexCat for what seemed like half the season.  I'm with Frost.  He and Day wanted to play and pushed.  You don't want to play you'll find a way not too......Let's play.  I want them healthy but the B1G powers to be found a way to screw that pooch as well....

• Plus1 4

23 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Not really - yes, if it was a person who tested him. HIPAA applies to medical professionals. If Mertz told his roommate, and his roommate told a reporter, no lawsuits to be had. Obviously, some network of friends/family is the much more likely answer. Shoot, even coaching staff inside the team who are friendly with a reporter - not illegal for them to tell the paper he's out. 

Out and Covid out are two different things. 

how many of teams that have had to cancel games, names actual players?  Isn’t it usually reported as  a number?  May not be significant, but it seems odd 

Two things

1.  It is funny that all of a sudden HIPPA is different than it has been perceived to be for the last 10 years. (Message board dorks that have cited it incorrectly for years)

2.  Couldn't Wisky, in theory, just put all their non-gross players in rooms away from their gross players and they would not get Covid, just lock them in for the next 3 days, no practice?

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Two things

1.  It is funny that all of a sudden HIPPA is different than it has been perceived to be for the last 10 years. (Message board dorks that have cited it incorrectly for years)

2.  Couldn't Wisky, in theory, just put all their non-gross players in rooms away from their gross players and they would not get Covid, just lock them in for the next 3 days, no practice?

Non- gross. Lmao 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

This thread is giving me Covid.

Sorry guys but read the damn Covid rules the B1G has adopted. It’s not that hard to understand. I’ve seen some numbers bandied about that just aren’t reality. To go Red/Red and trigger automatic cancellation they need to exceed both thresholds. That would be 5% positives on the 7 day rolling average. That is a rate of positives that would be a significant outbreak. To my knowledge this is not the case. The other threshold is 7.5% positive of the team population. Could be as low as 11 players (146 x .075) or more in the neighborhood of 13 players (170ish x .075).

If they go red/red, it is a 7 day shutdown of all activities and games, not 21 days. The 21 days is the minimum amount of days individual players have to be held out, not the whole team. The team can resume practices and games after a 7 day shut down if/when they get out of a red/red situation.

Where it gets really murky is what happens when it’s orange/red or orange/orange. At that point the rules sort of read like they have the option to cancel things. That is the area that concerns me because going red/red seems pretty unlikely unless things are hugely out of control. So I suppose they could elect to bail due to being stuck with only a 4th string QB but they are already going to be in that boat for 21 days because those players are already unavailable for at least 21 days.

But to reiterate, the team shut downs and game cancellations occur 7 days at a time. Technically they could be red/red for only one day which would shut them down for only 8 days. It is only individual positive players that are on the 21 day deal.

And yeah, the B1G was a bunch of morons for not starting at least two weeks sooner and allowing for some bye weeks to make up games. I don’t think they ever really wanted a full season to be played.

• Plus1 3

Could be lower, as it is a % of the players being tested. OWH article had a great summary I suggest people read before, yes, continuing misinformation that just isn't true in here. 

I just really don't understand how Wisconsin could cancel considering they had 42 players/staff test positive a month ago. Now, if they're not testing those players anymore (they don't have to), that lowers the denominator for % of people tested... which would be dumb, but possible... 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/how-can-a-big-ten-football-game-get-canceled-due-to-covid/article_eb572ce4-750e-503b-a3d4-bcfba8878f82.html

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Where it gets really murky is what happens when it’s orange/red or orange/orange. At that point the rules sort of read like they have the option to cancel things. That is the area that concerns me because going red/red seems pretty unlikely unless things are hugely out of control. So I suppose they could elect to bail due to being stuck with only a 4th string QB but they are already going to be in that boat for 21 days because those players are already unavailable for at least 21 days.

This sounds like the situation at hand. I think the concern is if they have a positive pop up Thursday or Friday, then they still might have spread on the team. Yes they have enough guys to play, yes rules say they can play - but getting on a plane and playing a game with a couple guys that potentially will test positive Saturday morning or Sunday is the concern. Some coaches or ADs might prefer to shut it down for a couple days, make sure spread is squashed, move onto next week. 

26 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Could be lower, as it is a % of the players being tested. OWH article had a great summary I suggest people read before, yes, continuing misinformation that just isn't true in here. 

I just really don't understand how Wisconsin could cancel considering they had 42 players/staff test positive a month ago. Now, if they're not testing those players anymore (they don't have to), that lowers the denominator for % of people tested... which would be dumb, but possible... 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/how-can-a-big-ten-football-game-get-canceled-due-to-covid/article_eb572ce4-750e-503b-a3d4-bcfba8878f82.html

I have no idea why a team would elect to not test players who were previously positive, thereby reducing the denominator and making tripping the threshold much more likely. They would have to be extremely mathematically challenged to do that. And I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have to test everyone involved regardless if they previously tested positive. Hasn’t it been proven that a person can be infected more than once, I believe it has.

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Wisconsin Game Cancelled