Suspensions

Warrior

2 hours ago, jager said:

I stopped watching because I watch sports for entertainment, not politics. Most people can't protest in their place of work without getting fired. Why should they be allowed?

Spot on.  If there is a desire to make the NFL an open political forum, then there should be some consistent standards applied. In 2016 when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to honor 5 fallen police officers they were declined by Goodell and the NFL.  I am all for free speech but simply do not like when it's one sided.  There is a reason that the NBA commissioner just announced he would be removing political messages from jerseys and the courts for the next season...because as you just said, people watch sports for entertainment and not politics. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Spot on.  If there is a desire to make the NFL an open political forum, then there should be some consistent standards applied. In 2016 when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to honor 5 fallen police officers they were declined by Goodell and the NFL.  I am all for free speech but simply do not like when it's one sided.  There is a reason that the NBA commissioner just announced he would be removing political messages from jerseys and the courts for the next season...because as you just said, people watch sports for entertainment and not politics. 

You wouldn't have a source for that allegation would you? Don't remember hearing anything about this. Even from people who don't like peaceful protest.

18 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I do think that all the political grandstanding is (or will) cost some leagues a lot money (except for football... It's immune), but I don't know why people can't just ignore it. I rolled my eyes with a lot of the political glad-handing the NBA laid out throughout the Playoffs, but I still watched every game I could. Once the whistle blows, it's still the sport that you intended to watch, and every player is certainly entitled to their own opinions/actions.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You wouldn't have a source for that allegation would you? Don't remember hearing anything about this. Even from people who don't like peaceful protest.

I will private message you the link as I really don't want this thread becoming too political, but I am a former Cowboys fan so I was very aware this happened.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I will private message you the link as I really don't want this thread becoming too political, but I am a former Cowboys fan so I was very aware this happened.

Yeah, the Cowboys weren't allowed to wear the patches honoring fallen officers, and the NFL didn't allow players to wear shoes or patches in support of mental health awareness or breast cancer either. They let them honor owners with patches upon their deaths, but that's about it until the recent protests. But if you find it offensive that a league with 80% Black players changes its mind during a pivotal moment in our nation's history, you may want to make some adjustments yourself. 

Also, "former" Cowboys fan?  What did they do to lose you? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I do think that all the political grandstanding is (or will) cost some leagues a lot money (except for football... It's immune), but I don't know why people can't just ignore it. I rolled my eyes with a lot of the political glad-handing the NBA laid out throughout the Playoffs, but I still watched every game I could. Once the whistle blows, it's still the sport that you intended to watch, and every player is certainly entitled to their own opinions/actions.

This is certainly a reasonable way to look at it. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, the Cowboys weren't allowed to wear the patches honoring fallen officers, and the NFL didn't allow players to wear shoes or patches in support of mental health awareness or breast cancer either. They let them honor owners with patches upon their deaths, but that's about it until the recent protests. But if you find it offensive that a league with 80% Black players changes its mind during a pivotal moment in our nation's history, you may want to make some adjustments yourself. 

Also, "former" Cowboys fan?  What did they do to lose you? 

The NFL has long supported breast cancer causes which is great and it's not a divisive topic.  However, the BLM movement and playing a black national anthem is very divisive which is where they went wrong.  The NBA commissioner essentially admitted they are going to be getting rid of these political statements as they have tanked their organizations ratings.

I personally think that, if the NFL wanted to go all in on Black Lives Matter they should have also promoted Blue Lives Matter equally.  That would have been a balanced approach to the divisions in this country on that topic and could have positioned the NFL as a unifying organization.  But they have shown their disdain for police officers (as you cited with the 2016 situation with the Cowboys) which has turned off many fans including me.    In addition to not watching the games, I also gave up my fantasy football leagues, but on the bright side I am enjoying spending more time with the family!

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The NFL has long supported breast cancer causes which is great and it's not a divisive topic.  However, the BLM movement and playing a black national anthem is very divisive which is where they went wrong.  The NBA commissioner essentially admitted they are going to be getting rid of these political statements as they have tanked their organizations ratings.

I personally think that, if the NFL wanted to go all in on Black Lives Matter they should have also promoted Blue Lives Matter equally.  That would have been a balanced approach to the divisions in this country on that topic and could have positioned the NFL as a unifying organization.  But they have shown their disdain for police officers (as you cited with the 2016 situation with the Cowboys) which has turned off many fans including me.    In addition to not watching the games, I also gave up my fantasy football leagues, but on the bright side I am enjoying spending more time with the family!

So you were happy spending less time with your family as long as football honored policemen? 

• Plus1 2