Nebraska vs UT-Chattanooga (maybe) Updated: Nope

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it all at this point. On one hand, I understand Nebraska's perspective and hopes. Fight for the players, fight for a season. They've done nothing wrong and have worked their butts off. University leaders and coaches are just doing what they can to try to play.

On the other hand, I think the conference made it pretty clear from the beginning that there weren't going to be opportunities to play teams outside of the set schedule. There's also virtually no wiggle room built into the schedule. So, at this point, it also feels like Nebraska's being a pain in the a$$ just to be a pain in the a$$, and I don't fully agree with the point of it.

Did the Big Ten make it known to everyone that conference teams wouldn't be able to schedule games on their own, if games were canceled due to COVID?  That may have been implied, but I don't remember it being clearly stated.  Even if it was clearly stated, that decision is very short-sighted and not forward-thinking.

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

On the other hand, I think the conference made it pretty clear from the beginning that there weren't going to be opportunities to play teams outside of the set schedule. There's also virtually no wiggle room built into the schedule. So, at this point, it also feels like Nebraska's being a pain in the a$$ just to be a pain in the a$$, and I don't fully agree with the point of it.

Not saying this is the case. But on a smaller scale say you have an employee/employer. Contractor/sub-contractor relationship that is on edge. Both of you may not like eachother much. You may be considering getting rid of that person or contractor. Maybe you start documenting emails, conversations etc to make a case for the seperation. I think Nebraska probably knew the Big Ten would say no to the alternate game this weekend. 

Perhaps this was documenting and making a case for down the road. Not saying they will- but perhaps if they are considering it they are making sure they have a solid case to say look at these reasons why this is not working. We are not aligned etc. 

I have done this- many times I did not make a move. But I wanted to be prepared in case I did.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Did the Big Ten make it known to everyone that conference teams wouldn't be able to schedule games on their own, if games were canceled due to COVID?  That may have been implied, but I don't remember it being clearly stated.  Even if it was clearly stated, that decision is very short-sighted and not forward-thinking.

They didn't explicitly say 'you can't schedule games on your own if games are cancelled due to COVID' but they did label it as an "eight-game conference only schedule."

I don't necessarily disagree with the short-sighted nature of it all. It is short-sighted from one perspective. But, given the Big 10's consternation about having a season and getting protocols set up just to handle a conference season, it makes 100% sense that they would deny something like this. In fact... it kinda feels like a no-brainer to me, which is why I don't really side with the university on this one.

Maybe it's just one of those things... like what's the worse they can say? No? But perhaps Nebraska felt like they had to ask the question anyways? I don't know. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get it...but at one point the Big Ten also made it clear that there would not be a season at all.

Until a few teams stood up to the stupid.

Overall, it stymies growth if you’re not challenging a system that is not willing to progress. Whether they get what they want now or not, it benefits everyone in the future by speaking up today. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it all at this point. On one hand, I understand Nebraska's perspective and hopes. Fight for the players, fight for a season. They've done nothing wrong and have worked their butts off. University leaders and coaches are just doing what they can to try to play.

Yeah.  I get the frustration.  And it really sucks that the team that pushed the hardest to play is the first one that got "punished" by having a game cancelled.  Especially when the exact circumstances at Wisconsin are not clear.

But I think people are a bit too worked up about it.  Nebraska continued to do what they have been doing all along - do anything they can that gives our team as much chance to play as possible.  But I have to think they knew it was a long shot to actually be able to play.  Props for the effort but I would think they knew it probably wasn't going to work.

Like I said earlier this week with the number of games needed to get to the CCG, I'm not wanting to wish ill on anyone, but it would be interesting if Ohio State started running into issues and see if the tune changes.  Especially if it's not "their fault".

• Plus1 5
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Maybe it's just one of those things... like what's the worse they can say? No? But perhaps Nebraska felt like they had to ask the question anyways? I don't know. I don't hate it but I don't love it either.

Nebraska is playing Chess at a grandmaster level currently.  Imagine a scenario where Wisconsin, Northwestern and Penn St  cancel and then Nebraska runs the table finishing at 4-1 but not able to be considered for post season play. Now, OSU plays their schedule but gets to week 6 and game gets cancelled, but in order to maintain contention, they bring in a non conference opponent and roll their way to post season play. Now Nebraska looks like idiots for accepting the canceled games without trying for anything else.

Also, the national narrative surrounding this is EXACTLY what our program needs. You can tell a wolf by its clothes, so they say. Nebraska proves how "real" the program and culture is at every turn. You don't have to love it, but you can't argue its legit.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
47 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They didn't explicitly say 'you can't schedule games on your own if games are cancelled due to COVID' but they did label it as an "eight-game conference only schedule."

I don't necessarily disagree with the short-sighted nature of it all. It is short-sighted from one perspective. But, given the Big 10's consternation about having a season and getting protocols set up just to handle a conference season, it makes 100% sense that they would deny something like this. In fact... it kinda feels like a no-brainer to me, which is why I don't really side with the university on this one.

I agree that the school probably knew going in that this would likely be denied. But if they failed to try, you could lose some interest with players, parents and stakeholders of the program. Now the unity of the program, fans, etc. is shown again by thinking outside the box for finding options and our administration appears to be the forward-thinking side of the equation. 

True, it may be a bit petty if they went on the exercise knowing it was to be shot down but it also builds a case for Nebraska in the future. A case for recruiting, for a lawsuit later on if warranted and (should more negatives pile up in future years) a list of real reasons to split from the Big Ten down the line. I'm not advocating for splitting but it is clear that Nebraska is building a pattern that can be objectively argued should it be necessary. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1