Nebraska vs UT-Chattanooga (maybe) Updated: Nope

11 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I was thinking about this thread today.  Back a couple of days ago I wrote that I was surprised that Nebraska pursued playing another game, once the Wisconsin game was cancelled.  I wonder if one of the reasons we were working so hard to have another game, was that we have some players getting complacent and maybe considering transferring, and this was a way to try and keep up moral.  Not saying this would be the only reason of course, just curious if this is becoming a concern.  We looked so much better in the Ohio State game regarding OLine and DLine talent.  I would hate to loose any more than the three Florida kids we lost at the beginning of the year. Just a thought.   

Yea it would be devastating if we lose more kids.

11 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I was thinking about this thread today.  Back a couple of days ago I wrote that I was surprised that Nebraska pursued playing another game, once the Wisconsin game was cancelled.  I wonder if one of the reasons we were working so hard to have another game, was that we have some players getting complacent and maybe considering transferring, and this was a way to try and keep up moral.  Not saying this would be the only reason of course, just curious if this is becoming a concern.  We looked so much better in the Ohio State game regarding OLine and DLine talent.  I would hate to loose any more than the three Florida kids we lost at the beginning of the year. Just a thought.   

I definitely think that played a role in Nebraska pushing so hard for the B1G to play this fall instead of waiting for spring.  With so much stuff shut down and no games to look forward to, it would be easy to see kids starting to wonder if they liked what was going on.  That was mentioned several times by media guys when we lost a couple of transfers.  Can't know for sure if that was the reason but "the campus and community environment during the pandemic looked considerably different from what they saw on their recruiting visits" can't help but have some effect.

Not sure it's as big of a deal to miss one game but seeing the coaches and university continue to push hard for the players has to help.

1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

I have a question. The B1G, in their infinite wisdom, put forth a voted on "rules to play" criteria that every university has to follow, yes? One of those rules is, "no out of conference games", yes? Then how is it the conference champion will be allowed to play outside of the conference if they are included in the playoff?

I’ve sort of wondered along the same lines. Say tOSU qualifies for the Playoff, will Kevin Warren have to hold a vote of the COPC (or whatever the acronym is) to approve them to play game(s) out of conference? If not, how is that really any different? I mean come on, player safety and all that. We already know the testing protocols in the SEC and ACC are nowhere near as stringent as the B1G. Why would that be allowed? Buncha effin hypocrites.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve sort of wondered along the same lines. Say tOSU qualifies for the Playoff, will Kevin Warren have to hold a vote of the COPC (or whatever the acronym is) to approve them to play game(s) out of conference? If not, how is that really any different? I mean come on, player safety and all that. We already know the testing protocols in the SEC and ACC are nowhere near as stringent as the B1G. Why would that be allowed? Buncha effin hypocrites.

That's not really what they said.  They said the regular season would be conference only.  

As far as I know they have never come out and said they will not allow any teams to play in bowl games (or the playoff).  Maybe they just haven't made a decision on that yet but I don't think anything they've done so far said they won't let any team every play any non-conference opponent.

But you could definitely make an argument that there really isn't a difference between playing OOC now or later.  Other than they are probably hoping things are more under control in a couple months.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's not really what they said.  They said the regular season would be conference only.  

As far as I know they have never come out and said they will not allow any teams to play in bowl games (or the playoff).  Maybe they just haven't made a decision on that yet but I don't think anything they've done so far said they won't let any team every play any non-conference opponent.

But you could definitely make an argument that there really isn't a difference between playing OOC now or later.  Other than they are probably hoping things are more under control in a couple months.

I guess my point wasn’t what they have said but rather what they have done. I fully expect them to allow playoff and bowl games to occur, and I’m glad for that. But it is not consistent and they can talk all they want about player safety but it’s obvious that has not really been the driving force they claim whenever it comes up. If player safety was their number one criteria, then somebody would have to explain to me how a Covid free Chattanooga team is any worse than playing a SEC or ACC or BigXII team with the known disparities in testing and Covid protocols.

I’m just pissed and really want something to come back and bite Alvarez and the Badgers in the a$$. They just surpassed Colorado and Iowa and Michigan on my most hated list.....by a lot.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess my point wasn’t what they have said but rather what they have done. I fully expect them to allow playoff and bowl games to occur, and I’m glad for that. But it is not consistent and they can talk all they want about player safety but it’s obvious that has not really been the driving force they claim whenever it comes up. If player safety was their number one criteria, then somebody would have to explain to me how a Covid free Chattanooga team is any worse than playing a SEC or ACC or BigXII team with the known disparities in testing and Covid protocols.

I’m just pissed and really want something to come back and bite Alvarez and the Badgers in the a$$. They just surpassed Colorado and Iowa and Michigan on my most hated list.....by a lot.

This could come back on them and the B1G if any other teams are allowed to play in order for them to qualify for a playoff spot.