Future of the Program

It’s been a difficult last two decades.  The landscape of college football has changed and there are legitimate questions about whether or not Nebraska can return to glory.

After watching how hard the University, Athletic Department and the Football Program have tried to get on the field, I feel pretty good about our leadership.  They want to improve and win.

I don’t know if the Huskers will return to greatness, but I’m more confident than ever that we have the right people in place to find out.

GBR

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

Very well stated..

My question however isn't our leadership but rather our membership. Seemingly, to be at least, the B1G has branded us not worthy and is at every turn showing how they feel. As i stated in a private message, if it was SF and Moos canceling for the exact reasons that BA canceled, the B1G pundits would be publicly calling Nebraska, our staff and our administrators cowards. 

I think, as it stands, Nebraska has but 2 allies in this conference. Ohio State & Iowa. Iowa because there is mutual respect and a healthy rivalry as well as proximity. Ohio State (as a result of their rivalry with Michigan and Michigan politics) because that university values tradition, competition, honesty and institutional independence

and lastly, sadly, politics as a whole. Ohio State and Nebraska align more closely politically then we do with any of the other states. Iowa, though mostly democrat is also very moderate and therefore one could say also fits in nicely with the politics of both tOSU and UNL. The rest, the rest will fight against institutional independence at every turn.

5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

and lastly, sadly, politics as a whole. Ohio State and Nebraska align more closely politically then we do with any of the other states. Iowa, though mostly democrat is also very moderate and therefore one could say also fits in nicely with the politics of both tOSU and UNL. The rest, the rest will fight against institutional independence at every turn.

Sadly, there is no conference around that aligns better with our needs. If not the Big 10, then independent is our next best play, imo. As we've shown over the past 3 months, we are not short on gonads to consider such things. 

• Plus1 1

Totally agree with you, OP. Frost, his staff, and Moos fought through adversity and clearly came out stronger from it this fall.

I decided to post this next part here, but it could have gone in one of many threads: I really am concerned about whether or not we get to play 12 football games next season with the way the sentiment seems to be going in the B1G conference.

This is concerning for me as it pertains to our program not about me getting to watch my team play next year on a personal level but rather about whether it causes guys to transfer/not sign with us in favor of a different conference.

The stubbornness of the conference is real. And it's honestly starting to feel pretty authoritarian and also ridiculous. We could have played a team with no positive cases - we would have freaking PAID THEM to come play...and we were told we couldn't do that?

Bull****.

I think this off-season/season has done plenty to wake up the right people and create an unsuspecting sense of motivation. I’m frustrated with this season, but this is going to make a great impact on Nebraska in future seasons that my optimism is growing.

If they get to play next week and just stomp the heck out of NW, that’ll tell me what I need to know about the direction of the program. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s been a difficult last two decades.  The landscape of college football has changed and there are legitimate questions about whether or not Nebraska can return to glory.

After watching how hard the University, Athletic Department and the Football Program have tried to get on the field, I feel pretty good about our leadership.  They want to improve and win.

I don’t know if the Huskers will return to greatness, but I’m more confident than ever that we have the right people in place to find out.

GBR

The leadership shown by Bill Moos and Ronnie Green is the best I've seen in my days as a Husker fan. While I'm disappointed we won't be playing on Saturday, I am now more confident than ever with these two at the helm!

• Plus1 1

I worry about the way the leagues reaction to Covid-19 will impact recruiting for everyone in the conference excluding OSU.  When there's even an inkling that there might not be football, what reason does a kid from Florida have to stay in Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, or Michigan?  Even though we started the season, the fact that the league has this much power over the universities, instead of the other way around, in my eyes, is problematic.  Football is the only reason those 4* corners were in Nebraska and if we weren't going to have a season, why stick around?

Honestly, the B1G's decision on the season sounded like something the NCAA would pull.  It was completely out of left field, and for a while, it appeared there was nothing that anyone could do about it.