Ronald Thompkins

5 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I had heard that Omar was Covid and got out of shape. We’re not to say rumors, but what the he$$ it’s a message board. 

but yeah, who knows 

Out of shape Omar is not better than a couple slow walk ons with sub par hands? Come on 

why did Fleming not play against Ohio state? Wierd player management. He was obviously ready 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Out of shape Omar is not better than a couple slow walk ons with sub par hands? Come on 

why did Fleming not play against Ohio state? Wierd player management. He was obviously ready 

Fleming did actually play against Ohio St. towards the very end. I would be shocked if he didn't continue to play a larger role as the season went on.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also, it's widely been reported that Omar has been dealing with personal issues. Coming out with the fact that he, like millions of other Americans, caught a pandemic is a much better look than OWH guys subtweeting the best wide out on the team. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find the Running Backs Room thread so I'll just start this here.

In my 50+ years of Husker fandom, I don't remember a single season without a featured running back and a young back-up or two who you looked forward to seeing more of the next season. Shortened season and injuries don't entirely explain not having a single RB averaging more than 38 yards a game. There's not even a Wyatt Mazour in the mix. 

It's just odd. 

@Guy ChamberlinChamberlin

If Mills doesn't come back next year (I think he will), I'd be shocked if they don't hit up the JUCO ranks, or try and find a grad transfer. Rahmir doesn't look like he's gonna cut it, Marvin has been underwhelming so far, and who knows about the rest of them. Nebraska has to have a running game next year, and if it isn't Mills I think they'll have to look elsewhere to find it.

@B.B. Hemingway I'd be surprised if we brought someone in - just skimming the Juco rankings and who is known to be in the portal, there's not much out there. Only 1 juco back is committed to a P5 school that I can see. There are probably more that are unrated, but there's just not much there. More in the portal (and I'm sure additional guys will enter after the season), but again not seeing a difference maker who would have any interest here.

I hope Mills comes back, but I think Thompkins, Johnson, Scott, and Morrison will look completely different with spring ball, health, and another year in the system.

I agree @Guy Chamberlin, while you've got a few years on me in the Husker fandom department, I too, cannot recall such a lack luster showing from this position group, ever.  The o line issues definitely have a role to play here but, to me, D Mills has never looked the part- he always seems to be just a step too slow, or rarely gets to the 5-7 yard mark untouched to make a big play... always seems like he's tripped up or caught from behind, when he shouldn't, when does have the opportunity.

While not for sure by any means, my gut is telling me LMC is going to get moved to that RB room for next year.  While coaching/mechanics can help, he simply doesn't have the arm to be a D1 Qb but he certainly has the speed to be on the field.  I find it way more likely we go the transfer route to add a qb to the mix (hello M Milton) and move LMC to RB as opposed to us finding a RB in juco/graduate to bring in.  

Regardless how it plays out, our top rushers cannot be quarterbacks again- they won't stay healthy over the course of a normal year and we simply need a RB threat to open up the offense more

It's strange that our top three rushers are two QBs and a WR. 

McCaffrey leads the way with 364 net yards on 65 carries and 5.6 YPA.

Martinez is second with 268 net yards in five games, with 5.1 YPA.

After that it's Wan'Dale, with 167 yards and 5.4 YPA.

Mills, who's missed two games, is fourth on the list with a total of 155 yards & 3.3 YPA.

Scott has 60 yards in four games & averages 2.6 YPA.

Rahmir has 30 yards in four games & 4.3 YPA.

Thompkins has 24 total yards and 4.8 YPA.

As a team we have 1,049 total rushing yards in six games. 174.83 per game.

• Plus1 1

for all those Mills haters out there.  He's a hard runner and holds onto the ball.  He gets yards where there are yards for the most part.  I get he's not explosive but if you wonder why they stick with him watch him block.  The kid has had quite a few really nice blocks not only in the passing game but in the QB run game as well.