2020 BIG CCG

Does anyone have the rules on how the East and West champions are decided if teams are not playing the same number of games.  We already know Nebraska and Wisconsin will have one less game than the full slate of 8 games, and I assume Wisconsin will miss another game given they have more cases today (November 2) than they did the week before when the Nebraska game was canceled.   Let's assume the following final standings on the West side:

Wisconsin: 4-2

Nebraska: 4-3

Purdue: 4-3

Northwestern: 5-3

Illinois: 2-6

Iowa: 3-5

Minnesota: 3-5

In this example would Wisconsin still be deemed the winner of the West because they have the best winning percentage?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Does anyone have the rules on how the East and West champions are decided if teams are not playing the same number of games.  We already know Nebraska and Wisconsin will have one less game than the full slate of 8 games, and I assume Wisconsin will miss another game given they have more cases today (November 2) than they did the week before when the Nebraska game was canceled.   Let's assume the following final standings on the West side:

In this example would Wisconsin still be deemed the winner of the West because they have the best winning percentage?  

That is a perfect example of why so many people are upset about the game getting cancelled. If say it comes down to who goes Nebraska or Wisconsin. The lack of a head to head matchup poses a big problem.

9 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

That's why it's important to take it game-by-game and just win.

7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

That's why it's important to take it game-by-game and just win.

But you do realize our fate is not in our hands anymore? It was taken away by Wisconsin. Say Wisconsin plays this weekend and wins the rest of their games. We play and win the rest of our games. We will be 6-1 and they will be 7-0. They go to conference title game out of default because they didnt have to play us. If we played them and lost so be it. But they would get to go to the CCG because they didn't have to play Ohio State is the only difference. 

Depending what the tie breaker formula is. Wisconsin could even lose a game and potentially still go ahead of us with no head to head. 

Does that sound like a fair competitive balanced system?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

But you do realize our fate is not in our hands anymore? It was taken away by Wisconsin. Say Wisconsin plays this weekend and wins the rest of their games. We play and win the rest of our games. We will be 6-1 and they will be 7-0. They go to conference title game out of default because they didnt have to play us. If we played them and lost so be it. But they would get to go to the CCG because they didn't have to play Ohio State is the only difference. 

There are scenarios where our fate would be out of our hands, but right now they are all just theoretical until we win enough for it to matter. Our fate is currently in our hands.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Husker in WI said:

There are scenarios where our fate would be out of our hands, but right now they are all just theoretical until we win enough for it to matter. Our fate is currently in our hands.

No it's not in our hands. We could win out and still not go because we have no head to head with Wisconsin. 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

No it's not in our hands. We could win out and still not go because we have no head to head with Wisconsin. 

The winning out part is in our hands, and until we do I'm not going to worry about tie breakers. I agree it sucks, and if we end up in that scenario I hope (but doubt) the matchups will be reconsidered. But we have to win for the 'no contest' to matter, and if we lose a couple it won't. If it depends on our winning and losing at least a part of it is under our control. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Thanks for the replies. I was curious if there were official rules in the BIG that required a minimum number of games played or if total wins or winning percentage is more imporant.  

I think that if Wisconsin isn't able to play 6 games, while others are able to play more than 6, then Wisconsin isn't eligible for the division championship.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

The winning out part is in our hands, and until we do I'm not going to worry about tie breakers. I agree it sucks, and if we end up in that scenario I hope (but doubt) the matchups will be reconsidered. But we have to win for the 'no contest' to matter, and if we lose a couple it won't. If it depends on our winning and losing at least a part of it is under our control. 

Actually we don't. The final games during championship weekend are based on seeding within the division and everyone plays. With cancellations in both divisions already this will be an issue. It might be to decide who is 3rd/4th, 7th/8th, etc. but it will be relevant. 

7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Our fate was no longer in our hands after losing to OSU.

Actually yes it was. If we won our remaining games we would have been 7-1. Wisconsin wins the rest of their games they are 7-1(1 loss being to NU). We go to CCG because of head to head. 

Seriously I don't understand why this is so hard to figure out. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For me it's about evaluating the system and saying. Wait with Wisconsin opting out of the game they rigged the system a bit and put us at a large disadvantage. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Actually yes it was. If we won our remaining games we would have been 7-1. Wisconsin wins the rest of their games they are 7-1(1 loss being to NU). We go to CCG because of head to head. 

Seriously I don't understand why this is so hard to figure out. 

Wisconsin is not given a loss because they decided not to play.  It is a no contest.  I think it's BS since they weren't at red/red but it's within the rules for them to chicken out.