The Biden Cabinet

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not going to get into the transgender thing because who cares. But to the first point, I see this a lot, and on the surface it looks bad, but there literally is no other option. My job allows me to work closely with hospital discharge planners. Hospitals full, patient stable enough to leave, hospital needs the bed, patient doesn't have the care structure in place at home (will likely return to hospital if discharged home), care facility IS the only option for these people. Curious what your solution is?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Not going to get into the transgender thing because who cares. But to the first point, I see this a lot, and on the surface it looks bad, but there literally is no other option. My job allows me to work closely with hospital discharge planners. Hospitals full, patient stable enough to leave, hospital needs the bed, patient doesn't have the care structure in place at home (will likely return to hospital if discharged home), care facility IS the only option for these people. Curious what your solution is?

I mean... it's Ben Shapiro. What else would you expect except a bizarre distortion of the truth?

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If hospital capacity in PA were at capacity at that point in time you possibly could have a point.  

Since we know PA had hospital capacity, and age is the biggest risk factor for Covid death, one would think to not put Covid positive patients back into a nursing home and bring that variable into play for non positive nursing home patients.   

That person was also so worried about it that the mom was taken OUT of the nursing home.  If it were so safe, why move the mom?  

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If hospital capacity in PA were at capacity at that point in time you possibly could have a point.  

Since we know PA had hospital capacity, and age is the biggest risk factor for Covid death, one would think to not put Covid positive patients back into a nursing home and bring that variable into play for non positive nursing home patients.   

That person was also so worried about it that the mom was taken OUT of the nursing home.  If it were so safe, why move the mom?  

but....we also know that insurance companies or Medicare will push as hard as possible to get the patients out of hospitals.  I don't see this as an "OH MY GOD I CAN"T BELIEVE SHE DID THAT".  

I know nursing homes around here have set up specific rooms or wings for Covid patients.  So, it's not just a PA issue.  

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Wat?  

Don't be obtuse...what sort of reaction do you think good ol' Ben Shapiro is trying to get by mentioning that Levine is transgender?

Hint: before you read the comments under his tweet, guess whether his followers are having an intellectual discussion about her qualifications or about nursing home practices, or are they taking his bait and responding with a steady dump of transphobia?

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Safer for mom to be at home. But the biggest issue is most people don't have the resources to do that. If it were my parent I'd utilize private care givers ($25/hr) and coordinate with family to provide 24 hour care. That's the best option if you're able to afford it. The fact is probably 75% of hospital discharges don't have the time and money to pull that off, and with hospital dischargers pushing you out the door - a paid medicare or medicaid bed with 24 hour care is the 2nd best place for them - pandemic or not. 

2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Don't be obtuse...what sort of reaction do you think good ol' Ben Shapiro is trying to get by mentioning that Levine is transgender?

Hint: before you read the comments under his tweet, guess whether his followers are having an intellectual discussion about her qualifications or about nursing home practices, or are they taking his bait and responding with a steady dump of transphobia?

Shap also refers to her as "he" because... classy.  :rolleyes:

I thought we'd discussed this as a board when MC was still around and decided not to be troglodytes about transgender and just use the pronouns they prefer?

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Again What? 

I don’t care at all what some rando’s put in comments sections.  Surprised you put so much stock into them.  

The person Ben referred to is literally a biological man who believes he/she is a female which is what Ben said.  It is scientifically factual.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Again What? 

I don’t care at all what some rando’s put in comments sections.  Surprised you put so much stock into them.  

The person Ben referred to is literally a biological man who believes he/she is a female which is what Ben said.  It is scientifically factual.  

"Scientifically factual"? You are being intentionally obtuse. You know what Ben Shapiro was trying to do here.

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Every article and/or tweet that I have seen regarding the appointment mentions her status as transgender 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Every article and/or tweet that I have seen regarding the appointment mentions her status as transgender 

That's true - most articles are mentioning the historic nature of a transgender woman being appointed to the cabinet, and celebrating diversity. I bet that's what Ben Shapiro was doing too, right?

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Ulty said:

That's true - most articles are mentioning the historic nature of a transgender woman being appointed to the cabinet, and celebrating diversity. I bet that's what Ben Shapiro was doing too, right?

Regarding the bold, given his affiliation and tweeting history, I doubt it. But it is included in every mention of the appointment that I have seen.