***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I know it is just one county in NE, but the Republican turnout for Trump was more than 10% higher in 2020.  Pierce county had about 3,000 votes in 2016 and over 3,400 in 2020.  Both years he won with 84% of the vote.  

Just shows, again for one small county, that the newly registered voters wasn't a shoe-in for Biden.  I can easily picture rural counties across the US having similar numbers.  Maybe I'll look into it if I have more time...

I think all of the "Get out the Vote" campaigns worked well on both sides of the aisle. Which is good--we should have ~70% participation by available voters. Hell, ~70% should be a low number, not a high water mark. 

• Plus1 2

For those who chastised me on thoughts that it would be tough for Biden to carry Pennsylvania, even with all of the outstanding votes, trends could end up going your way.

As I've been following PA this afternoon, Trump's lead went down (80K) -- 460K to 380K -- votes as the % counted went from 80% to 82%.  If the Trump lead continues on that pace (or even close), Biden could end up passing Trump in the end.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The meltdown from my Trump supporting friends/family on Facebook is even more entertaining than I thought it'd be.

My brothers (who live in Omaha) had a mini-meltdown on a group text thread this morning, as they lamented the fact that Nebraska District 2 went to Biden, and could be the electoral vote which is the ultimate decider in the election.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I know it is just one county in NE, but the Republican turnout for Trump was more than 10% higher in 2020.  Pierce county had about 3,000 votes in 2016 and over 3,400 in 2020.  Both years he won with 84% of the vote.  

Just shows, again for one small county, that the newly registered voters wasn't a shoe-in for Biden.  I can easily picture rural counties across the US having similar numbers.  Maybe I'll look into it if I have more time...

I agree and I posted about that yesterday too... That said, if you were going to pad your vote totals, a couple hundred here or there in the boonies are less likely to get noticed. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

For those who chastised me on thoughts that it would be tough for Biden to carry Pennsylvania, even with all of the outstanding votes, trends could end up going your way.

As I've been following PA this afternoon, Trump's lead went down (80K) -- 460K to 380K -- votes as the % counted went from 80% to 82%.  If the Trump lead continues on that pace (or even close), Biden could end up passing Trump in the end.

I don't think anyone was chastising you. We were just saying although it looks like a huge deficit, the math was supportive of Biden potentially coming back.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was speaking towards our day-to-day lives. When's the last time you thought to yourself, " You know, that probably would of went a lot different for me if it wasn't for the President."

As someone now married to a nurse; quite frequently in the months of March, April, and May this year. Then almost every time I see the stock market tank after a Trump tweet. Then when my friends get stuck outside the country trying to update their work visas.

39 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Is it? Advocating for personal responsibility? Seems like a platform someone should run on, in my opinion.

That's a cool philosophy and all, but if Roosevelt decided not to fight the Nazis and Japanese would the Jews, Gypsies, Pols, Gays, Chinese, Filipinos, etc. who died be a lack of personal responsibility on the individual American?

As one of my favorite movie quotes goes "Attitude reflects leadership, Captain." People look to leaders for guidance, advice, and support. As a leader your words matter and they have great power. Anyone in business should understand this basic concept. This is pretty basic sociological stuff, and covered in all kinds of communication s courses. It's how society functions. Change doesn't happen without leadership. I've sat on quite a few calls where a decision needs to be made and there is dead silence until a leader steps up and drives the team towards a resolution.

I'm all for personal accountability, but ignoring the obvious sociology involved seems like a mistake.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The meltdown from my Trump supporting friends/family on Facebook is even more entertaining than I thought it'd be.

Can you please share some anecdotes and or paraphrased remarks? My Trump family/friends have been suspiciously quiet today.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My brothers (who live in Omaha) had a mini-meltdown on a group text thread this morning, as they lamented the fact that Nebraska District 2 went to Biden, and could be the electoral vote which is the ultimate decider in the election.

I love this fact. I always bring it up when someone brings up Nebraska being a red state...too bad they gerrymandered the hell out of the Lincoln district or that one would have gone for Biden too. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Trump Team declaring victory in PA, Trump supporters trying to budge their way into a facility counting ballots in MI. Really cool GOP, great work sowing chaos. 

This is why the GOP and Trump supporters are a cancer in this country. 

• Plus1 2