***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

don't necessarily disagree that some of the voting processes have played a role, but this is the first time we have ever seen a president or presidential candidate (in recent history) promote and propagate completely unsubstantiated rumors about the voting process to these extremes. His children and advisers are sharing obscure and unsubstantiated fraud claims on social media that right wing radicals are picking up and further propagating.

Does Stacey Abrams count as a presidential candidate?  She claimed janus coin "voter suppression" to explain a loss for GA governor. She never quite explained the specifics of how who's votes were suppressed.

Likewise I never figured out what "Russian Collusion" materially did to win the election for Trump in 2016.  No one really thought Putin got into the polls. 

So it's not a surprise poorly defined rumors our flying around, nor that Trump is re-tweeting them.  There are however some specific ones getting picked up by Fox.  Poll watchers barred from observation in PA, flouting a court order at one point.  Illegal votes coming out of NV.  Neither would be a surprise to political historians. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

While funny, I had to turn off CNN's coverage. I realize his program is not explicitly a 'hard news' program without commentary, but the way he and some of his guests have spoken in the last day or two has been almost as uncomfortable as the few times I've unfortunately experienced Hannity.

Yeah...here’s the thing. You had the President of the United States personally go after these folks by name and the network in general for four years in public, and if they even pushed back one ounce, the Trump cultists would finger point and yell SEE!?! THEY HATE MUH PREZIDEYNT!!! (generally speaking—their spelling was likely worse). 

if CNN is bathing in the schadenfreude that 4+ years of Trump’s petulant childish behavior and baseless accusations (not to mention all of the childish, idiotic derp Trump supporters have spouted and continue to spout) created...well, I can’t blame them, they’re only human. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yeah...here’s the thing. You had the President of the United States personally go after these folks by name and the network in general for four years in public, and if they even pushed back one ounce, the Trump cultists would finger point and yell SEE!?! THEY HATE MUH PREZIDEYNT!!! (generally speaking—their spelling was likely worse). 

if CNN is bathing in the schadenfreude that 4+ years of Trump’s petulant childish behavior and baseless accusations (not to mention all of the childish, idiotic derp Trump supporters have spouted and continue to spout) created...well, I can’t blame them, they’re only human. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I have said this over and over, I would do the same exact thing.  No way I would "turn the other cheek" either.  He was mean to them, I would be mean right back.  

I think most of us would.

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Does Stacey Abrams count as a presidential candidate?  She claimed janus coin "voter suppression" to explain a loss for GA governor. She never quite explained the specifics of how who's votes were suppressed.

Likewise I never figured out what "Russian Collusion" materially did to win the election for Trump in 2016.  No one really thought Putin got into the polls. 

So it's not a surprise poorly defined rumors our flying around, nor that Trump is re-tweeting them.  There are however some specific ones getting picked up by Fox.  Poll watchers barred from observation in PA, flouting a court order at one point.  Illegal votes coming out of NV.  Neither would be a surprise to political historians. 

No, Stacy Abrams does not count as a presidential candidate. There was voter suppression in Georgia, and still is. She did explain it, it's understandable to anyone with a third-grade education, the trick is you have to try to find the answer.

You never figured out what Russian collusion was because you believed the cheeto when he said "no puppet" and that's about where the critical thinking on the subject stopped.

None of the above gives trump a pass on attempting to incite a fascist takeover of our electoral process. There are not legitimate poll watchers barred from Pennsylvania. The people you're talking about are randos off the street who just want to barge in without credentials. That's not how the process works, just like an unregistered person can't walk in off the street and vote. There's a process, the people being kept out of the ballot counting area didn't go through that process, and they've been (rightly) kept out. There is no proof of any illegal votes in Nevada, but you're welcome to provide some to the authorities. I'm sure they would be very interested in such proof.

• Plus1 1

Sensible GOPers speak out.

https://www.axios.com/trump-republicans-baseless-election-claims-fa686850-efb9-41cd-a25e-1b9cc1b52b85.html

A growing list of Republicans have reproached President Trump for his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud.

Why it matters: In televised remarks on Thursday evening. the president provided no evidence for his claim that widespread voter fraud has caused his initial lead in the presidential race to slip away. He also pledged to continue fighting to have ballots thrown out in the courts.

What they're saying:
  • Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie: "We heard nothing today about any evidence. This kind of thing, all it does is inflame without informing. And we cannot permit inflammation without information."
  • Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah): "Counting every vote is at the heart of Democracy. That process is often hard and, for those running, frustrating. The votes will be counted. If there are irregularities alleged, they will be investigated and ultimately resolved in the courts. Have faith in democracy, in our Constitution, and in the American people."
  • Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.): "I saw the president's speech last night and it was very hard to watch. The president's allegations of large-scale fraud and theft of the election are just not substantiated. I'm not aware of any significant wrongdoing here."
  • Former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.): "No Republican should be okay with the President's statements just now. Unacceptable. Period."
  • Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R): "There is no defense for the President’s comments tonight undermining our Democratic process. America is counting the votes, and we must respect the results as we always have before. No election or person is more important than our Democracy."
  • Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas): "A sitting president undermining our political process & questioning the legality of the voices of countless Americans without evidence is not only dangerous & wrong, it undermines the very foundation this nation was built upon. Every American should have his or her vote counted."
  • Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.): "We want every vote counted, yes every legal vote (of course). But, if you have legit concerns about fraud present EVIDENCE and take it to court. STOP Spreading debunked misinformation... This is getting insane."
  • Rep. Denver Riggleman (R-Va.): "Like [Rep. Kinzinger], I took an oath to defend this country and fight for the democratic ideals it stands for. Count every vote, yes, but stop the Bravo Sierra, Mr. President, and respect the democratic process that makes America great."
  • Rep. Paul Mitchell (R-Mich.): "Every legal vote should and will be counted — as they always are. Where there are issues there are ways to address them. If anyone has proof of wrongdoing, it should be presented and resolved. Anything less harms the integrity of our elections and is dangerous for our democracy."
  • Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge (R): "With his remarks from the White House tonight, the President disrespected every single American who figured out a way to safely vote amid a pandemic that has taken 235,000 lives. Not to mention those who are dutifully counting that vote. Absolutely shameful. Yet so predictable."
  • Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer: "I haven't seen any evidence of it. And again, I don't think it helps his case ... If he sees an instance in Pennsylvania or Nevada and this particular thing happened, then call it out. ... But saying voter fraud ... You can't just throw a term out that without being specific."
  • 19 former U.S. attorneys, all of whom served under Republican presidents, said in a statement: “We hereby call upon the president to patiently and respectfully allow the lawful vote-counting process to continue, in accordance with applicable federal and state laws, and to avoid any further comments or other actions which can serve only to undermine our democracy."
  • Of note: Many Republicans who have condemned Trump's recent comments have been critics of the president in the past.

The big picture: Vice President Mike Pence, who did not appear with Trump at Thursday's televised briefing, tweeted, "I Stand With President [Trump]. We must count every LEGAL vote."

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Of course they never tell hardworking rural American they're supposed to feel sorry for billionaires, because they won't think that way. But they do flip the narrative on class warfare so that jobs providers and high income tax brackets are being targeted by liberal Dems, who want to give the money to the non-working "takers."  They also elected Donald Trump President, and believe he is being treated terribly by people who are jealous of his success and his hot model wife. So while they don't think they're feeling sorry for billionaires, they end of treating them as the victims of class warfare — when it's actually the hard working rural Americans themselves getting their pockets picked. It's pretty sick, but pretty brilliant. 

Trump Penthouse.jpg

You're not wrong, for sure. 

I certainly don't feel sorry for the rich, but I've long disliked the idea of taxing them at a higher rate than anybody else.... The idea of punishing them for being financially successful doesn't sit well with me (I am aware that a lot of them don't pay anywhere near their fair share with tax loopholes).

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You're not wrong, for sure. 

I certainly don't feel sorry for the rich, but I've long disliked the idea of taxing them at a higher rate than anybody else.... The idea of punishing them for being financially successful doesn't sit well with me (I am aware that a lot of them don't pay anywhere near their fair share with tax loopholes).

It always warms my heart to see the poor continuing to champion the rich.

• Plus1 2