***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

8 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And I truly hope those disadvantages are eliminated. I really do. But, even when/if they are, I think there will be some culture issues standing in the way. 

Are you sure those are "cultural" issues and not societal issues? You said yourself that you see similar issues in Appalachia. I would venture to guess what you really see is societal issues that affect white, brown, asian, and all people of lower income levels not just the black community. 

Btw I applaud you for actually having a conversation when some people in here are making it difficult to want to.

7 hours ago, ZRod said:

Are you sure those are "cultural" issues and not societal issues? You said yourself that you see similar issues in Appalachia. I would venture to guess what you really see is societal issues that affect white, brown, asian, and all people of lower income levels not just the black community. 

Btw I applaud you for actually having a conversation when some people in here are making it difficult to want to.

I suppose so, but I still think culture plays a role. I have spent the majority of my life (including much of my childhood) in the Ozark Mountains area.... Very similar people to those of Appalachia country. I've seen hundreds, probably thousands, of people who just can't get out of their own way. They wreck they're lives with poor decisions related to family, relationships, education, employment, drugs, unwanted children who they don't take care of, etc.... I've seen it from a number of people that have worked for me. I've seen it from classmates, and family members. Maybe society is setup against these people on some level, but man, they sure could do a lot to help themselves if they got out of their own way, and made better decisions. I don't feel like I lack empathy as others have said, but if I do at all, I suppose it's because I came from one of the poor families, with family members who have a lot of the issues described above, and I came to be pretty successful thus far. I made (mostly) good decisions.... Or at least not destructive ones. We can all do that.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The lasting damage that Trump has caused this country will last the rest of my life, I fear. Hes causing more damage in these last few weeks than he has in all four years of the presidency, and that saying a lot since he caused so much during these four years. Nobody will ever again trust our elections. The political divisions across the country have gotten a million times worse under him as he is incapable of bringing people together. He is the Bo Pelini of presidents. Its us vs them and if theyre not with us then f#&% them. I wouldnt be surprised if there is a mini-civil war in the next couple years, thata how bad it is, just look at DC yesterday. Both sides need to come back to reality and get on with their lives. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I suppose so, but I still think culture plays a role. I have spent the majority of my life (including much of my childhood) in the Ozark Mountains area.... Very similar people to those of Appalachia country. I've seen hundreds, probably thousands, of people who just can't get out of their own way. They wreck they're lives with poor decisions related to family, relationships, education, employment, drugs, unwanted children who they don't take care of, etc.... I've seen it from a number of people that have worked for me. I've seen it from classmates, and family members. Maybe society is setup against these people on some level, but man, they sure could do a lot to help themselves if they got out of their own way, and made better decisions. I don't feel like I lack empathy as others have said, but if I do at all, I suppose it's because I came from one of the poor families, with family members who have a lot of the issues described above, and I came to be pretty successful thus far. I made (mostly) good decisions.... Or at least not destructive ones. We can all do that.

I've seen it in my privileged life growing up in a good neighborhood and going to good schools in Lincoln. There are "rich" white kids who f#&% up their lives with drugs, DUIs, cutting class, teen pregnancy, stealing, gambling, etc...

Here's what I'm positing; There will always be an element of people in society who just can't get "it" (just as there are people like you who do get "it"), but that doesn't have anything to do with racial or ethnic culture. Those people are more likely to exist in greater numbers in communities that are closer to poverty for obvious reasons like poor structure and lack of discipline growing up, not culture. The numbers are going to trend higher in the African American community because statistically they are more likely to be in poverty. That poverty is due to various reasons related to racism, and discrimination against poorer people in all facets of society.

You said segregation was 2 generations ago, but my parents are boomers, close to Trump and Biden's age. That generation came of age around segregation and massive racial tension during the civil rights movement. That generation is still very influential. They also raised people who are in their 30s and 40s who are also very much in the thick of it right now.

This isn't to wave away all personal accountability, it's just to highlight the point that you're expecting a community of people to overcome their societal issues after continually having the rug pulled out from under them from the beginning of their violent arrival into this country until well into the later half of the 20th century. With less obvious systemic issue still existing today. Those people are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, an beyond. They experience racism, both outright and systematic, in their life; but it sounds like you expect them to be on equal footing with people who didn't have to overcome any of that.

I'm sure you don't mean that, but when you continually fall back on personal accountability and culture with out any homage to history it sounds like you don't acknowledge any of those factors. Furthermore, the culture of African American society isn't any different than any other culture and is equally embraced by white people as well. Which is why people here don't agree, at all, with that stance.

• Plus1 5

On 11/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I just don't think it's beneficial to send the message "you can't succeed in America without the help of the Democratic party"....

Ummm....I have some friends who, when they found out I was voting for Biden, constantly tell me my business is going to suffer now and it's going to be very difficult for me to make money.

Sooooo.....I guess I can't succeed in America without the Republican party?  

• Plus1 2