Biden's America

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Shouldn’t we also be questioning why someone over the age of 25 is working a minimum wage job in the first place?  And then what we as a society or them as individuals can do to help those people find or get qualified for better jobs 

I question why there's a job that can't pay a living wage. And the idea that someone works at something over a certain age means they should move to a "better" job is nonsensical. Do we think we suddenly don't need substitute teachers, food servers, line cooks, garbage men, etc. etc.? If we think everyone should be able to get a "better" job, do we then need to pay for everyone to get a college degree?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I start at $13/hr, but most are already over $15.... I'll definitely have to give them a bump, so they're safely above the new minimum wage, but I haven't decided on a wage yet, but Im thinking my starting wage will have to be in the $16.50-$17.50 range. But like I said, the clients will pay for it.

It’s makes for an interesting dynamic on what business owners do for those above that threshold already because I assume they would want a raise at the time people below them on the pay scale are getting one.  

and your right, the costs just get passed on to the consumer for the most part.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I question why there's a job that can't pay a living wage. And the idea that someone works at something over a certain age means they should move to a "better" job is nonsensical. Do we think we suddenly don't need substitute teachers, food servers, line cooks, garbage men, etc. etc.? If we think everyone should be able to get a "better" job, do we then need to pay for everyone to get a college degree?

I question why you consider $15 an hour a livable wage for every state in the union?  Is $15 livable wage in NYC? Boston? Miami?   Is $10 an hours living wage in Stockton, KS? Pretty Prairie, KS? Halbur, IA? Hastings, NE?  

And yes, if you are making minimum wage as a 30 year old since you were a teenager something is definitely wrong with that persons drive to help him or herself improve their own life standing. Unless they are special needs/disability which is another story. 

• Plus1 1

I have never known any substitute teachers that use that as their only means of income.  Most states you can only sub a certain amount of days (but I don't think that is actually followed by anyone).  

Most subs are retired teachers, new grads or stay at home moms/dads.

With that said, you could sub 5 days a week here in Omaha and probably pull in about over like 875 a week, I think.  I think OPS is 175 a day.

Best sub gig I ever got was at Boys Town.  I just finished student teaching and the head coach asked me if I wanted to sub for him, he said "It will be an easy day, I have two lifting classes in the morning that I will be here to cover...and nothing after that...but you get paid for the entire day". saaaaaaweeeeet!

• Plus1 1

Operating costs go up, prices go up, customers go down, losses mount, company out of business. This is also how business sometimes works. 

Another option might be operating costs go up, prices go up, labor units go down, profit stays roughly the same.  Employment is a net negative in the end. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Operating costs go up, prices go up, customers go down, losses mount, company out of business. This is also how business sometimes works. 

Another option might be operating costs go up, prices go up, labor units go down, profit stays roughly the same.  Employment is a net negative in the end. 

Like tears in the rain.

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Like tears in the rain.

In a time of a pandemic when unemployment is high, why is China Joe doing all of these things to take jobs away from US workers? When will he ever put America and Americans first?

China is getting a lot of bang for its buck, they are really happy with their #1 employee.

• Plus1 2