Biden's America

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

L

O

L

Yeah, sure it does. Trust me when I tell you, that is nowhere near actively enforced. At least from the experiences I've been around with employees/former employees/acquaintances/etc.

Well gosh, I guess nothing exists besides YOUR experience. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Fru said:

Well gosh, I guess nothing exists besides YOUR experience. 

I apologize for the brash response.... I would have doubts that it is enforced consistently throughout the country. One of my good friends is a tax accountant. I asked him about how all these people are staying on unemployment so, and he just laughed. He said they get online, write down a few addresses of places they've 'applied', and hang out for another month. The people at the unemployment offices are likely too busy to check-up on every person.

31 minutes ago, Fru said:

Refusing a reasonable job offer disqualifies someone from receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits. 

https://dol.nebraska.gov/PressRelease/Details/153

"Declining Suitable Work

Under the law, if an unemployed person is offered a comparable job to their previous job at comparable wages and hours and refuses to accept the job offer, they will be disqualified from benefits."

:laughpound  Yeah...right.  And, they have to actually apply to get offered the job.

This year has been crazy in that we will hire people, they show up for work for 2 days and then just not ever show up again.  It's not just every once in a while.  It absolutely was crazy in how many people would do this.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I apologize for the brash response.... I would have doubts that it is enforced consistently throughout the country. One of my good friends is a tax accountant. I asked him about how all these people are staying on unemployment so, and he just laughed. He said they get online, write down a few addresses of places they've 'applied', and hang out for another month. The people at the unemployment offices are likely too busy to check-up on every person.

I don't mean to imply that fraud doesn't happen, it does and it's generally caught. No system is perfect. However the process your friend describes is not entirely accurate (depending on which state he's referring to. Different states have different requirements). There are a myriad of things that can and often disqualify someone from receiving benefits. 

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound  Yeah...right.  And, they have to actually apply to get offered the job.

This year has been crazy in that we will hire people, they show up for work for 2 days and then just not ever show up again.  It's not just every once in a while.  It absolutely was crazy in how many people would do this.

Sounds like poor hiring practices. 

17 minutes ago, Fru said:

I don't mean to imply that fraud doesn't happen, it does and it's generally caught. No system is perfect. However the process your friend describes is not entirely accurate (depending on which state he's referring to. Different states have different requirements). There are a myriad of things that can and often disqualify someone from receiving benefits. 

I can't speak for the entire country (obviously), but there's a reason that two guys who run businesses and do a lot of hiring (in two different states) had the same response to your original post on this.

The system isn't perfect? That's the understatement of the century. The system is a joke. Fraud is rampant (from what I've been around) in most forms of government aid.... Medicaid, WIC, Food stamps, unemployment, you name it.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I can't speak for the entire country (obviously), but there's a reason that two guys who run businesses and do a lot of hiring (in two different states) had the same response to your original post on this.

The system isn't perfect? That's the understatement of the century. The system is a joke. Fraud is rampant (from what I've been around) in most forms of government aid.... Medicaid, WIC, Food stamps, unemployment, you name it.

I was merely pointing out that there are a litany of things that can disqualify someone from receiving Unemployment Insurance. The notion that folks just type in a few things, kick back and collect checks unfettered just isn't accurate. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Fru said:

I was merely pointing out that there are a litany of things that can disqualify someone from receiving Unemployment Insurance. The notion that folks just type in a few things, kick back and collect checks unfettered just isn't accurate. 

It's more accurate than you think.

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, Fru said:

Right.  Blame the company who is giving people jobs way above minimum wage and full benefits in an area with extremely low unemployment. We have been trying to hire around 15 people since before the holidays.  It’s amazing how many people we have gone through to try to get it done. 

Interestingly, other manufacturers in our area say the same thing. So...everyone has bad hiring practices?

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's more accurate than you think.

Agree. 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Right.  Blame the company who is giving people jobs way above minimum wage and full benefits in an area with extremely low unemployment. We have been trying to hire around 15 people since before the holidays.  It’s amazing how many people we have gone through to try to get it done. 

Interestingly, other manufacturers in our area say the same thing. So...everyone has bad hiring practices? 

Lol well clearly something isn't working right. Just because you have difficulty hiring doesn't mean there's a nexus for rampant Unemployment Insurance fraud. If companies are struggling with hiring and retention, some inward self reflection might be more beneficial than claiming it's everyone else's fault.  

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I start at $13/hr and within 6 months, they could be making as much as $17/hr with full benefits that includes health insurance where the premium is 100% free to the employee.  I still can't find enough workers even though there are lots of fast food restaurants around employing people I would hire but paying them less with very few to no benefits.  Sometimes it just leaves you scratching your head.

Is it that there are not enough workers in your area or they just don't want to do that work?  

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Refusing a reasonable job offer disqualifies someone from receiving Unemployment Insurance benefits. 

"Declining Suitable Work

Under the law, if an unemployed person is offered a comparable job to their previous job at comparable wages and hours and refuses to accept the job offer, they will be disqualified from benefits."

Michigan waved this requirement for the pandemic. You didn't even really have to actively looking for a job I very the summer.

31 minutes ago, Fru said:

Right now?  Not really, shoot the last 10 years getting unemployment has been pretty easy.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I even started offering a bonus if they are here for three months.  

Yet.....they come in, work for two days and never show up again so they get fired.  

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for referring to the Unemployment Insurance law again, but here goes. 

"Quitting A Job Without Good Cause

Workers who quit a job without good cause are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits."

So if someone voluntarily quits without good cause, they're ineligible for benefits.