Biden's America

6 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Not every situation is the same. My wifes parents arent the greatest with money. Her dads a lawyer and her moms high maintenance. They dont know how to save money or pay debt. They told my wife they would pay for her undergraduate college at Colorado. They paid the least anount possible and interest accrued. She wanted to change careers so she went back to college for masters in school counseling. Got denied from UNO (cheaper) got accepted to Creighton (more expensive). She got tons of scholarships to help with masters but still owed $20,000.

Long story short, she started having medical issues the past few years, just went to Mayo Clinic this past week. Weve hit out of pocket maximum three years in a row. $5000 on top of premiums just for her medical issues. Plus, her dad lost his job during pandemic so they cant pay her loans anymore and since they are in her name, the debt goes to her. Her undergraduate and graduate adds up to $54,000 so $34,000 which was promised to be paid her by her parents goes to us. I also decided to go back to school to get MBA in healthcare. If I would have known she had that much undergraduate debt and her parents woukd back out of their deal, I would have waited. So now we have medical debt (no faukt of her own), her college debt (not her fault that her parents made bad decisions on her behalf and now cant pay their portion) and my college debt, which I was on pace to get undergraduate paid off in 6 years before going back, so I have been responsible paying back my debt and havent let interest accrue. We had to move in with my parents when she started having medical issues because the debt was too much and we were drowning in it and because her program required her to do a FT non-paid intership, so her income for that year was limited as her other FT job paid crud. We are trying our best, but the medical debt and college debt now will not allow us to start a family or move out for awhile. 

Not every situation is the same and thats my anecdotal reality check on life not being a black and white issue. 

Sorry about her medical issues.  Not fair that good people have to suffer like that.  

Why haven’t you asked for a loan repayment pause on your wife’s loan debt?  Medical hardship along with Covid pause.  

I still don’t think these debts should be forgiven.  They were take. Out knowing full well that bad things could possibly happen.  What I would advocate for though, is a change in the Bankruptcy laws so situations like yours could be reviewed in Bankruptcy court and student loans be a part of that.  That way you get relief, but at a small price to your credit.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Job market was different for the boomers than it is for millenials/gen z. But you already knew this and still made the comparison. 

Ummm there are lots of GM factory jobs open. They don’t start at $90K and neither did he.  But it’s good paying work for a HS graduate and wages go up as service does.  You didn’t already know this?  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Sorry about her medical issues.  Not fair that good people have to suffer like that.  

Why haven’t you asked for a loan repayment pause on your wife’s loan debt?  Medical hardship along with Covid pause.  

I still don’t think these debts should be forgiven.  They were take. Out knowing full well that bad things could possibly happen.  What I would advocate for though, is a change in the Bankruptcy laws so situations like yours could be reviewed in Bankruptcy court and student loans be a part of that.  That way you get relief, but at a small price to your credit.  

They are paused due to covid, and I put $4000 down last month to somewhat lower monthly payments when they kick back in. I will also put money from tax refund if we get any and next stimulus towards them. But it has also caused me to resent her parents for doing this to us. That along with stresses from medical issues and Im at my breaking point. 

54 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Well educate me. Name some high paying jobs, we will say 60k that only requires high school diploma. 

There are a lot of jobs you can get after going to "Trade Schools" that pay in that range. My brother-in-law is a driver for UPS and makes over $40 an hour. A lot of it just depends on how hard you are willing to work.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I read it fine. That’s why I said the OTHER $50-100k.

I guess I should’ve sent her to KSU. UNL for out of state is $45ish per year. Luckily she had a scholly that reduced it to about the same cost as in state which is around $25k per year.

And yes, I read your comments about community college for a year or two. That actually isn’t a very good option for a high performing student. She already had 1.5 years worth of credits from her HS AP classes. Community college would’ve done her absolutely no good. She didn’t have to take a single general Ed class at UNL. I’m just glad she got done in 2.5.

I will agree that a traditional 4 year degree is a waste for a whole bunch of people. Much of that problem resides with employers who thin the herd by demanding unnecessary education requirements. I think most jobs would be better served with a more targeted 1-2 year post HS program.

That was a choice you made to send your child to an out is state school and pay the extra $20,000 per year.  Maybe there was a certain program UNL is great at that she went for and that makes it worthwhile after college which makes sense.  Maybe she just wanted to attend UNL and the experience was worth the cost.  She seems like a bright kid who will have great jobs. Has no bearing on getting through college with less than 30K in debt if someone wants to like is my point. And your daughter taking the AP exams is relatively equal to taking a CC course from a pure cost perspective so it is relevant to the discussion.  She did the AP route, others do CC.  Just a different way to get the overall 4 yr cost down. 

I am well aware of the unique circumstances of a high performing HS student. I have a senior in HS who is in the same shape as your daughter.  I’m not sure where he got his smarts from but it wasn’t me.  16 AP classes finished. Finished his college Math classes sophomore year.  Would have graduated in December if not for baseball season.  He is taking three CC courses along with his two HS courses though and two will transfer to MIT next year as gen ed.  He also applied to UNL also and got the President award and a few others and could go for almost free, but he is choosing not too.  He is choosing to have probably $100,000 in debt after graduating, but will be better off initially than going to school for free in Lincoln. Definitely riskier because It’s debt and of potential situations like @Frott Scostis going through.  

But the student loan debt isn’t the sole problem.  It’s the choices made for that debt.  If he were to attend MIT and get a degree with low paying prospects that would be stupid.  He could do that at KState or UNL.  His degree choices though have starting salaries of $115,000-$150,000 with sign on bonuses.  He will be able to pay his debt pretty fast. So my point is people need to do a better job of managing their school debt load based on job future job prospects.  High debt isn’t that bad if there is high income from that schooling. 

College can be done the cheap route or expensive route with fine outcomes.  It’s all about the choices made.  My household is living proof. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

There are a lot of jobs you can get after going to "Trade Schools" that pay in that range. My brother-in-law is a driver for UPS and makes over $40 an hour. A lot of it just depends on how hard you are willing to work.

I dont even know what that means. Fast food workers “work hard”.  Minimum wage workers “work hard”.  People who work more than one job “work hard”. Working hard has nothing to do with how much you get paid. Its not all about working hard, some requires skill. Some requires luck. Like I said, life isnt black and white.

• Plus1 2

And just for record, I would be totally fine with being able to declare bankruptcy on student debt over forgiveness. Give people the option if that is what they need to do. Problem is, student debt is one of the only forms of debt you cant declare bankruptcy on. I also have no problems saying Joe Biden and his corruption is the reason for that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

And just for record, I would be totally fine with being able to declare bankruptcy on student debt over forgiveness. Give people the option if that is what they need to do. Problem is, student debt is one of the only forms of debt you cant declare bankruptcy on. I also have no problems saying Joe Biden and his corruption is the reason for that. 

For what it's worth, I"m sorry for your personal issues.

I don't think student loan debt should be canceled, but I do think they should cancel any and all interest on those loans.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

For what it's worth, I"m sorry for your personal issues.

I don't think student loan debt should be canceled, but I do think they should cancel any and all interest on those loans.

Thank you, but the point of the story wasnt to garner sympathy it was to show that everyones situation isnt the same. Its not as easy as, well they made bad choices therefore they should be f#&%ed forever. Some make bad choices, some do the right thing and it still bites them in the a$$. Some go to college, and then get screwed because of the market see 2008 and now. Some suck at interviews and cant get a high paying job even though they have the skills to do the job well.

Everyone is different and we shouldnt judge people based on the bad choices of some. Archy did something he believed was correct and it seems to have worked out for him and thats great. If everyone did what he did, the school would have millions of students in it. JJ did what he thought was right and his daughter is very lucky to have a father willing to help her with her debt, which will help her do the things she loves to do earlier in life and not have to worry about those monthly bills.  Everyone should want the best for their kids and grandkids. Maybe JJs daughter wont be able to do for her kids what he did for her, then his grandkids gotta go through this BS and probably worse since college just keeps getting more expensive every year. Progress isnt about “well I had to suffer so everyone should have to suffer” it should be about “well I had to suffer, but I want better for my kids and grandkids so lets fix it and make it better”. 

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

There are a lot of people who work hard and don't make a lot of $.

• Haha 3
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

There is also no reason that a college degree needs to be four years worth of credits.  Most of the gen ed requirements are useless and a waste of money. 

They're only useless if you treat to them as such. The point of Gen Ed is to give you a diverse and well rounded education, and to meet others outside of your curriculum to learn different ways of thinking.

I learned some interesting stuff in Lit Classes. Learned things in Native American History they never would teach you in public schools. Also, have some great lessons from Comm classes that I didn't value then but now reference all the time at work. Art History... now that's a different story. That class was my biweekly nap time.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Well educate me. Name some high paying jobs, we will say 60k that only requires high school diploma. 

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

My father in law works at GM factory and makes $90,000. More when he gets good overtime.  Never took a College class 

While it's true that some higher paying income jobs exist even without a college degree, that's not the case for the majority of earners. The median family income in the US has never been above $60k when you adjust for inflation. The inflation adjusted dollars are in 2014 value:

SgnGx2lRGS7ZdNdthPiHFyaH4-M1TyjD2-utBpKA

http://johnstonsarchive.net/policy/famincome.html

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2