Biden's America

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Where?  I must have missed it.

I listed a few things that I was fine with and everything else doesn’t belong.  Feel free to extrapolate what that is.  I will add that the money should be spend in 2021 or it doesn’t need to be in an emergency Covid bill.  

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I have.

OK, since I can't find where you have said anything about what is in the bill that doesn't pertain to Covid relief, I found this article.  

LINK

So, to start the conversation, I'll point out two items that I wish weren't in the bill.

$15 minimum wage nationally - I just simply don't agree with this and think it should be debated as it's own bill.  That minimum wage might be needed in some place like Seattle or Los Angles.  But, it's not needed in many rural state areas where the cost of living isn't anywhere close to those areas.

Extending the extra $300 for unemployment.  I get why it was done in the first place.  But, it just has to stop.  There are so many people gaming the system with this.  I was with my HR manager just  a little bit ago.  We figured that if someone was making $12 per hour and they went on unemployment with the additional $300, they are essentially making $15.90 per hour (40 hour week). So, they are making even more on unemployment than what the Democrats want to put the minimum wage at.  The system is so bogged down that they have waved the two week wait period.  So, as long as they SAY they are actively looking for a job, the money keeps coming in. 

EDIT:  I see they actually want to raise it to an extra $400 per week.  This means that these people would be making $18.40 sitting at home.

However, I think you said something like 90% of the bill is not Covid relief.  Doesn't look that way from the article I linked.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, since I can't find where you have said anything about what is in the bill that doesn't pertain to Covid relief, I found this article.  

LINK

So, to start the conversation, I'll point out two items that I wish weren't in the bill.

$15 minimum wage nationally - I just simply don't agree with this and think it should be debated as it's own bill.  That minimum wage might be needed in some place like Seattle or Los Angles.  But, it's not needed in many rural state areas where the cost of living isn't anywhere close to those areas.

Extending the extra $300 for unemployment.  I get why it was done in the first place.  But, it just has to stop.  There are so many people gaming the system with this.  I was with my HR manager just  a little bit ago.  We figured that if someone was making $12 per hour and they went on unemployment with the additional $300, they are essentially making $15.90 per hour (40 hour week). So, they are making even more on unemployment than what the Democrats want to put the minimum wage at.  The system is so bogged down that they have waved the two week wait period.  So, as long as they SAY they are actively looking for a job, the money keeps coming in. 

EDIT:  I see they actually want to raise it to an extra $400 per week.  This means that these people would be making $18.40 sitting at home.

However, I think you said something like 90% of the bill is not Covid relief.  Doesn't look that way from the article I linked.

Just a thought, but that unemployment could be something that's propping up the economy right now for the lower wage earners.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We really want to have this conversation now?

Well they all threw a hissy fit when Trump Admin killed an Iranian General and when Trump admin bombed Syria.  I think it’s noteworthy to replay those reactions given today’s events.  Looks like you disagree, maybe you think this gets to only go one way?  

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Well they all threw a hissy fit when Trump Admin killed an Iranian General and when Trump admin bombed Syria.  I think it’s noteworthy to replay those reactions given today’s events.  Looks like you disagree, maybe you think this gets to only go one way?  

And where was your outrage?

1 minute ago, Redux said:

This isn't a good defense.  Public partisan outrage isn't an excuse.  Why do we need to be invading Syria?

I'm all for not invading anyone.  I wish the US would just hurry up and find a way to work with everyone in the region to stabilize it enough that things could move forward peacefully.  This responsibility is not and should not be the USA's alone.

But I do think there is a key difference between the airstrikes yesterday and the strike that killed the Iranian general last year.  Trump's strike was based on vengeance for previous attacks where it's being reported that the attacks yesterday targeted supply lines between Iraq and Syria that are being used by forces attacking the US and allies.  I'm probably missing something pretty important though.

I do appreciate that Trump didn't get us into any "wars" and I hope Biden can follow suit.  Dropping bombs is s#!tty no matter who the President is...