Biden's America

17 minutes ago, Redux said:

Partisan outrage isn't the problem, strings of Presidents fighting imaginary wars is.  Justifying them or denouncing them based off of whose in office is one of the most hypocritical thing possible.

Agreed, so maybe talk to the person who does that.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, Redux said:

Conspiracy Theroy???  Are you kidding me?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9301807/U-S-carries-airstrike-against-Iranian-backed-militia-target-Syria-officials-say.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1258912

That's a conspiracy theory?  Give me a break.  He's already moved troops through against their will, now this supposedly responsive measure.  Keep sugarcoating it all you want, this is going to keep heating up.

From your first link:

"While the strike could be the first retaliatory move by the United States following last week's attacks, it appeared to be limited in scope, potentially lowering the risk of escalation."

Massive invasion!!!!  Lol...

From the article I linked that you didn't read:

"The US has several hundred personnel in eastern Syria where it works with the Syrian Democratic Forces to continue to stabilize the area and fight ISIS. The SDF control a large swatch of Syria east of the Euphrates. Trump vowed to leave Syria in 2017, 2018 and again in 2019. In 2019 he withdrew forces from new Tel Abyad and enabled a Turkish invasion that caused some 200,000 people to flee."

"The conspiracy theory that claims Biden “invaded” Syria or sent a US convoy there on his “first day” is a misreading of events. The US supplies its forces in eastern Syria with trucks often sent from the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq. This is a tenuous logistics pipeline for US personnel and Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve. Those who follow these movements call them routine. There is no evidence of an increased US footprint, a change in posture or tempo of operations."

We're already in Syria so how is this a Biden invasion?  I never agreed with Trump abandoning the Kurds.  It's the same thing we did to the Hmong in Laos.  The CIA was using the Hmong to fight the NVA.  When we left the Hmong high and dry, we allowed for a brutal, little known genocide to come to fruition.  

If we're going to commit to proxies we need to stay committed until it is safe for them in their homelands.  That's our moral obligation.  If we're not going to honor that commitment then we shouldn't even insinuate to those willing to fight for us that we have their backs.

I know lying is the in thing now but if you think you're ever going to need proxies and then you later bail on them, time and again, to be slaughtered by their adversaries, well...good luck ever having any proxies step up when you need them in the future. 

For an America first agenda it's shortsighted to burn your proxies because then guess who gets to go in when terrorist cells become a Homeland security threat. That's when invasions happen.

I'm good supplying and supporting the Kurds.   We need to honor our commitments.  To call that an invasion or escalation is naive at best.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Redux said:

Maybe stop deflecting and talk about Biden pissing off Syria to a boiling point 

He can’t stop deflecting because that would require him trying to justify his sides clownish behavior regarding condemning everything the past Admin did that the current Admin is currently doing.  Deflection is his only option 

• Plus1 1

Let's move along from the 'whose side' is more guilty of what and focus on the topic itself.

As thrilling and captivating as that conversation always is, every thread doesn't need to devolve into a battle of wits about whether or not Republicans or Democrats are more hypocritical than the other. Shocking as it may sound, every political party is hypocritical.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

$15 minimum wage nationally - I just simply don't agree with this and think it should be debated as it's own bill.  That minimum wage might be needed in some place like Seattle or Los Angles.  But, it's not needed in many rural state areas where the cost of living isn't anywhere close to those areas.

I'm not really sure where the # is coming from. I believe minimum wage should keep up with inflation, but from the graphs I've looked at, that would be around $12 at most. States on the coast are free to implement their own minimum wage which can be higher due to the cost of living. That said, this is the longest we have gone since 1968 without raising the minimum wage. There should be some kind of compromise. Increase it to $9 or whatever. I don't know why we have been talking about $15 for 10 or more years.

ai2html-graphic-desktop.bbfcb8e0.jpg

Sorry for the s#!tty graph, the peak on the orange is $12 adjusted for inflation in 1968. The blue is actual $ and ends at $7.25.

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not really sure where the # is coming from. I believe minimum wage should keep up with inflation, but from the graphs I've looked at, that would be around $12 at most. States on the coast are free to implement their own minimum wage which can be higher due to the cost of living. That said, this is the longest we have gone since 1968 without raising the minimum wage. There should be some kind of compromise. Increase it to $9 or whatever. I don't know why we have been talking about $15 for 10 or more years.

ai2html-graphic-desktop.bbfcb8e0.jpg

Sorry for the s#!tty graph, the peak on the orange is $12 adjusted for inflation in 1968. The blue is actual $ and ends at $7.25.

If minimum wage rose with inflation, then it would have been $12.98 in 2018, but if it had rose with productivity it would have been $22.19 in 2018. The $15 is a nice round number slightly above inflation but not keeping with productivity.

https://www.epi.org/publication/raising-the-federal-minimum-wage-to-15-by-2024-would-lift-pay-for-nearly-40-million-workers/

The "China Joe" narrative was hand crafted during the election by Republican opposition, pretty much ignoring the precedents of every administration, including Trump's, and capitalizing on anti-China sentiments created by the Kung Flu. It was then spun-off into it's own voter fraud conspiracy theory, in which China mailed millions of pre-filled physical ballots to the United States to be secretly dumped into the system, hoping to elect Joe Biden, a man who will let them get away with anything. 

The rightwing meme-makers were perfectly capable of pushing this on their own, but if you ever see The Epoch Times as a source, check out the history and agenda of The Epoch Times.

• Plus1 3
30 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If minimum wage rose with inflation, then it would have been $12.98 in 2018, but if it had rose with productivity it would have been $22.19 in 2018. The $15 is a nice round number slightly above inflation but not keeping with productivity.

https://www.epi.org/publication/raising-the-federal-minimum-wage-to-15-by-2024-would-lift-pay-for-nearly-40-million-workers/

I think most workers productivity has outpaced wage gains regardless of income so I’m not surprised.  

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And of course that includes the free market capitalists who create the goods and services and debts the recipients will be paying for. 

Everyone likes free/cheap money and I don’t see anyone willing to turn it down.  

The wealthiest individual that I personally know (PE guy) has always told me that the best way to make money is by using someone else’s.   

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am fine with it being 15 dollars an hour.

I just hope that doesn't make McDonalds get rid of the already pretty limited dollar menu!

$22 for 9 Chicken McNuggets?  Thanks Biden!!!!!!!

Seriously, I hadn't eaten at McDonalds for a few years and got a craving for a Quarter Pounder w/Cheese during the quarantine and went through the drive-through. Absolutely shocked to discover that a QP with Cheese was now a $6.10 hamburger. There are better hamburgers for the same price or less everywhere, including across the street of this McDonald's. Don't know how they compete these days. I think breakfast is its most profitable segment these days, and I'm not gonna deny the tastiness of them little biscuit sandwiches. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Everyone likes free/cheap money and I don’t see anyone willing to turn it down.  

The wealthiest individual that I personally know (PE guy) has always told me that the best way to make money is by using someone else’s.   

This is why the attempt to create a "maker vs. taker" dichotomy linked to the two parties is so dishonest. 

But definitely congratulate that Physical Ed teacher on accumulating wealth. It's not easy in that position. 

• Plus1 1