Biden's America

I guess give Biden credit for wanting to believe the best of people, but Republicans haven't been interested in the bipartisan function of government for a decade. 

If he wants anything done, he needs to end the filibuster and move on without expecting any help from the right.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I guess give Biden credit for wanting to believe the best of people, but Republicans haven't been interested in the bipartisan function of government for a decade. 

If he wants anything done, he needs to end the filibuster and move on without expecting any help from the right.

So why does the GOP hate covid relief? 

Actually there is/was stuff in the bill that should be.  I guess San Fran Nan had to pull out a bridge or road out of it that was for her district and Chucky Schumer had to do the same.    Get the junk out.  Both sides need to get the politics out of this stuff.  Deal wt infrastructure needs in an infrastructure bill that should have been passed under TRump who was too busy playing golf.   I suspect the GOP opposition goes beyond bridges and roads.  They are trying to ACT like fiscal conservatives now when they never did so under Trump

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maybe have a bill that worth a s#!t and not some Democrat give away wish list, then he would get some support.  The bill was so bad, It had bipartisan opposition in the House.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe have a bill that worth a s#!t and not some Democrat give away wish list, then he would get some support.  The bill was so bad, It had bipartisan opposition in the House.

Remember the dozen or two times people have asked you what, specifically, you didn't like about the bill, and how you've never answered that question?

Maybe this would be a good time to be specific. Actual items in the bill you object to. Go. 

• Plus1 3

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Remember the dozen or two times people have asked you what, specifically, you didn't like about the bill, and how you've never answered that question?

Maybe this would be a good time to be specific. Actual items in the bill you object to. Go. 

I don’t because there was not 12 or 24 times that someone asked me.  And I did answer the question.  

Here’s a few to tickle your fancy: 

Any money not delegated to be spent in 2021

any state and local bailout money—$350 billion

Money for NEA—$200 plus million

Pension bailouts—$80 plus billion, they are not Covid related. 
Museum and library services—$200 millionish worth of pork 

Public transit bailout—$30 billion

Money for schools ON TOP of what was already approved but not spent yet.  If it’s not gonna be spent in 2021 then it doesn’t belong in the bill. 
Does FEMA money belong in a Covid relief bill?  I don’t think so

$15 billion for Medicaid expansion?  Is that Covid relief or is that for another bill?

Amtrak relief?

$3-4 billion for farmers?  Gotta explain this one to me more on how it’s emergency Covid relief 

Any money sent to other countries like the world food relief money.  

And one more time, ANY MONEY NOT SPENT IN 2021 or early 2022 at the latest.  Otherwise it’s not an emergency and doesn’t belong in the bill

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Redux said:

So who do you blame

FYI, you claimed Trump had ended a war when he hadn't. I was correcting/informing you.

A 20 year long war has a ton of blame to go around. Congress deserves most of the blame since they have the war powers. Last 3 Presidents also share blame for not ending the war. Trump gets a bit more blame since he talked about ending the war but didn't. Biden will get more blame than Trump if he doesn't end the war since it'll have been going on for 24 years by the end of his first term.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

FYI, you claimed Trump had ended a war when he hadn't. I was correcting/informing you.

A 20 year long war has a ton of blame to go around. Congress deserves most of the blame since they have the war powers. Last 3 Presidents also share blame for not ending the war. Trump gets a bit more blame since he talked about ending the war but didn't. Biden will get more blame than Trump if he doesn't end the war since it'll have been going on for 24 years by the end of his first term.

Did Congress ever actually approve the war in Afghanistan? Isn't this another one of those global war on terror things where the executive and military were give (maybe too) broad of power to get those responsible for 9/11?

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Did Congress ever actually approve the war in Afghanistan? Isn't this another one of those Global war on terror things where the Executive and military we're give (maybe too) broad of power to get those responsible for 9/11?

Congress approved the war on terror but not specifically against Afghanistan AFAIK. Article from 2011:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/jan/27/afghanistan-congress

Meanwhile, Congress is nowhere to be found. The only time Congress joined in making big decisions was shortly after 11 September 2001, to authorise the presidential use of force against those who "planned, authorised, committed, or aided" the terrorist attack. This was intended to destroy al-Qaida and deprive it of its sanctuaries in Afghanistan. But 10 years onward, this justification is wearing thin. Osama bin Laden is almost certainly in Pakistan, not Afghanistan, along with most of the remaining members of al-Qaida. Indeed, CIA director Leon Panetta has publicly stated that there are only 50 to 100 members of al-Qaida in all of Afghanistan. Would the 2001 resolution continue to apply even if there were only one member of al-Qaida left in the country?

Of course, the congressional resolution also sweeps more broadly to include those who "aided" the attack. In 2001, this surely included the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan controlled by the Taliban. But Karzai and his parliament are now governing the country under an entirely different constitution. We are helping them fight a wide variety of insurgents – including the Haqqani network, Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin and Quetta Shura Taliban, to name but the most prominent. But it's a big stretch to say that they are all part of the very same entity that "aided" the 11 September 2001 attack. What's more, almost all the insurgent leaders – including the notorious Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar – are in the tribal areas of Pakistan, not Afghanistan. Is this really the basis of Obama's right to determine the future conduct of America's longest war?

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Man Biden’s leash is pretty tight.  Wonder if he knew his handlers were gonna out him in this position when they decided for him to run.

God why couldn't they do this to Trump...