Biden's America

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No idea.  

I would rather get it all at once, for coaching I have had it both ways, a check at the end of the season and getting paid monthly,  I always liked the one "big" check.  I think I just used it more wisely. 

A payment like this is very different where it's supposed to be a payment to help people get by that couldn't otherwise.  There's a part of me that says if they can wait all year to get one payment, they probably don't need it.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

A payment like this is very different where it's supposed to be a payment to help people get by that couldn't otherwise.  There's a part of me that says if they can wait all year to get one payment, they probably don't need it.

Yeah, I was sort of thinking that as well.

2 hours ago, deedsker said:

You know this is just monthly payment of child tax credits that have already been in the tax code? Not much to see here other than getting it in monthly payments instead of one payment after submitting tax forms.

Not exactly. It's a pretty significant bump from what they were getting.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, deedsker said:

You know this is just monthly payment of child tax credits that have already been in the tax code? Not much to see here other than getting it in monthly payments instead of one payment after submitting tax forms.

It’s a bigger payment and fully refundable.  So not the same as what’s been in previous tax codes. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s a bigger payment. 

See above.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Fully refundable. 

Which the additional amount is meant as a stimulus effort due to the pandemic, so it makes sense. It is extra stimulus for children.

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So not the same as what’s been in previous tax codes. 

Just barely.

33 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Which is a one-time aid passed with the stimulus to help families with children. As of now, it goes back to what it was next year.

But, why? Jobs are plentiful.

At some point, the adults of this country are going to have to put their big boy/girl panties on and figure it out for themselves financially.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

But, why? Jobs are plentiful.

At some point, the adults of this country are going to have to put their big boy/girl panties on and figure it out for themselves financially.

Yeah, I think the government has said that 2020/early 2021 is not that time. So, maybe later sounds good?

5 hours ago, deedsker said:

Everything I'm reading indicates this is part of an "expansion" of what they were previously given.

Pretty sure they are getting more than they got before.

Here's the part that I don't get.

https://www.aecf.org/topics/child-poverty/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szmFTDS6d-hNfh8U4N55HMIh4jkxX-WUxZY3dkT5oeBzXaAA6Tn29oRoC1HkQAvD_BwE

A poverty-fighting measure included in the COVID-19 relief bill passed this year will deliver monthly payments to households including 88% of children in the United States, starting in July, Biden administration officials said on Monday.

https://www.aecf.org/topics/child-poverty/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szmFTDS6d-hNfh8U4N55HMIh4jkxX-WUxZY3dkT5oeBzXaAA6Tn29oRoC1HkQAvD_BwE

Currently, 18% of all children in the United States — nearly 13 million kids total — are living in poverty.

I'm not against helping people (especially children) that are in poverty.  But, if 18% of children are living in poverty, why is 88% of all children getting this additional benefit?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not against helping people (especially children) that are in poverty.  But, if 18% of children are living in poverty, why is 88% of all children getting this additional benefit?

Ask the GOP why they wanted the expansion of who is eligible to get so inflated, but not better target those who need it. The Trump tax bill was such a cluster.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-tax-law-expanded-child-tax-credit-wealthy-left-ncna990081

At the same time, they made families with incomes of as much as $400,000 eligible for a child tax credit of $2,000 per child — including members of Congress themselves. But a single parent with two children working full time at the federal minimum wage will receive an increase of only $75 — or less than $1.50 per week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/us/politics/child-tax-credit.html

“The child tax credit is the largest federal expenditure for children, but it excludes from the full benefit the kids who need it the most,” said Sophie Collyer, a member of the research team at Columbia, who analyzed the program with her colleagues Christopher Wimer and David Harris. “This is a significant flaw in its design that’s at odds with the administration’s claims about the achievements of the tax bill.”

1 minute ago, deedsker said:

Ask the GOP why they wanted the expansion of who is eligible to get so inflated, but not better target those who need it. The Trump tax bill was such a cluster.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/trump-s-tax-law-expanded-child-tax-credit-wealthy-left-ncna990081

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/us/politics/child-tax-credit.html

I agree.....why?  I wasn't for Trump's tax bill.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.....why?  I wasn't for Trump's tax bill.

:dunno

Most of us are for logical problem solving, but the last tax plan gave away pennies to allow the bags for the highest 1%. Now, we have problems needing targeted response getting handed out to a whole bunch of people who don't need it, but hard for the government to have fast, easy ways to pinpoint those people who need help without handing it out to the new less targeted benefactors.

So once again, :dunno.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Most Americans that have spent the last how many years b!^@hing about the average American  paying too much in taxes is now complaining we aren’t paying enough?

weird.

A good portion of those receiving the benefit don’t pay federal income taxes.  

• Plus1 1