Biden's America

Speaking of Biden's America......Does ole Joe have any plan at all of getting this trainwreck of an economy straightened out?  I can't imagine how well things would be going if you could, you know, actually buy and/or sell stuff that people need. It is really starting to have a negative effect on my business. Material costs are through the roof, and that is if you can even find the stuff to purchase it.  Have been loosing a lot of potential work lately simply because I cannot source the needed materials and/or because it is priced prohibitively too high.

I fear all Trump will have to do to actually win in 2024 is to ask the simple question, how were your last 4 years?  At least I'm ready to exchange this BS for an economic system that isn't completely f'd.  Surely some/much of it is out of the hands of the President but that is where the buck stops for these types of problems. It might be a little palatable if there was at least some talk or effort about fixing things.  But all we've got is some grandstanding about infrastructure plans. Hey numbnuts, how much do you think those plans are going to cost in this environment and, if you can actually get the materials to do them, what's it going to do to the people competing for the same materials?  Get off your a$$ Joe.  Put the give away programs on the back burner and get things semi-functioning again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Speaking of Biden's America......Does ole Joe have any plan at all of getting this trainwreck of an economy straightened out?  I can't imagine how well things would be going if you could, you know, actually buy and/or sell stuff that people need. It is really starting to have a negative effect on my business. Material costs are through the roof, and that is if you can even find the stuff to purchase it.  Have been loosing a lot of potential work lately simply because I cannot source the needed materials and/or because it is priced prohibitively too high.

I fear all Trump will have to do to actually win in 2024 is to ask the simple question, how were your last 4 years?  At least I'm ready to exchange this BS for an economic system that isn't completely f'd.  Surely some/much of it is out of the hands of the President but that is where the buck stops for these types of problems. It might be a little palatable if there was at least some talk or effort about fixing things.  But all we've got is some grandstanding about infrastructure plans. Hey numbnuts, how much do you think those plans are going to cost in this environment and, if you can actually get the materials to do them, what's it going to do to the people competing for the same materials?  Get off your a$$ Joe.  Put the give away programs on the back burner and get things semi-functioning again.

Tends to happen when your exonomy for the last couple decades relies heavily on other countries to function. Then when those countries cant get you the material you need, prices go up. Supply and demand baby! Republicans love basic economics I thought. Maybe we should have relied more on American products to begin with and less on cheap Chinese labor and prices.  

And after a week where 150 people died from a building collapsing in the supposedly best and richest country in the world, you are mad about an infrastructure deal that should have been done decades ago? What does the infrastructure deal also create? Jobs! Little history called the new deal. Look it up.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Tends to happen when your exonomy for the last couple decades relies heavily on other countries to function. Then when those countries cant get you the material you need, prices go up. Supply and demand baby! Republicans love basic economics I thought. Maybe we should have relied more on American products to begin with and less on cheap Chinese labor and prices.  

And after a week where 150 people died from a building collapsing in the supposedly best and richest country in the world, you are mad about an infrastructure deal that should have been done decades ago? What does the infrastructure deal also create? Jobs! Little history called the new deal. Look it up.

You completely missed my rant.

The materials I can’t get are steel, domestic steel. Why? Because steel mills in this country inexplicably shuttered or slowed production….for no good reason. The tariffs and pandemic gave them an excuse but demand for their goods never dropped through the pandemic.

And I’m not upset about an infrastructure plan but it’s only going to be more of a clusterf#€k if somebody doesn’t get a handle on the current supply problem.

And speaking of jobs, do we really need more jobs? Last I’ve seen we are failing to staff hundreds of thousands of jobs now. Might be time to kick some people off the unemployment roles and see if that helps.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Here is an interesting chart that shows U.S. steel production (in thousand tonnes):

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/steel-production

united-states-steel-production.png?s=uss

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Here is an interesting chart that shows U.S. steel production (in thousand tonnes):

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/steel-production

I can tell you for a fact that the current state of affairs is much worse than anything reflected in that graph. That 2009 dip is nothing compared to what is happening right now. We are seeing historic high prices and the last month or so is the only time in my life where certain products were just not available at any price. Sh#t is completely broken right now, for my industry anyway.

Ive heard a theory that China is buying up all the steel they can get so that once we finally do expand our domestic production capacity out of necessity then they will dump the product on the world as an fu to the US manufacturers. Not sure if that is actually happening but I do know it screwed up the steel markets when China was buying all they could back when they hosted the olympics. Things are much worse now than they were then,

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I can tell you for a fact that the current state of affairs is much worse than anything reflected in that graph. That 2009 dip is nothing compared to what is happening right now. We are seeing historic high prices and the last month or so is the only time in my life where certain products were just not available at any price. Sh#t is completely broken right now, for my industry anyway.

Ive heard a theory that China is buying up all the steel they can get so that once we finally do expand our domestic production capacity out of necessity then they will dump the product on the world as an fu to the US manufacturers. Not sure if that is actually happening but I do know it screwed up the steel markets when China was buying all they could back when they hosted the olympics. Things are much worse now than they were then,

You maybe read too much from me linking it, and it doesn't show things are good. Here is a closer view of the past 5 years which you can get if you go to the website. This shows we are not back on the pace we were on yet, and we have been way off the pace for more than a year now including the huge dip. Even when/if we get back to 7500 tonnes per month, we need to do that for months and months and months to make up for the time of low production.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You maybe read too much from me linking it, and it doesn't show things are good. Here is a closer view of the past 5 years which you can get if you go to the website. This shows we are not back on the pace we were on yet, and we have been way off the pace for more than a year now including the huge dip. Even when/if we get back to 7500 tonnes per month, we need to do that for months and months and months to make up for the time of low production.

I got that you were providing relevant information. I was simply trying to point out that the current 2nd largest dip on the original graph is in reality quite a bit worse than the largest dip that occurred in 2009ish.  And I’m annoyed that there was any dip at all. US steel Mills did not need to curtail production for the pandemic. It is an industry that could’ve worked right through it and the demand was there. Trump’s tariffs are what gave them the incentive to reduce production and shutter some aging facilities. I’m disillusioned with Biden because he has not yet addressed those tariffs and is seemingly doing nothing to help remedy the supply issues.  Granted there is only so much the government can do but acknowledging there is a problem would be a start. His infrastructure plan only annoys me currently because in this climate such infrastructure spending cost would be 3x higher than it needs to be and it will exacerbate the supply problems. There are more immediate concerns he should be focusing on imo.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I got that you were providing relevant information. I was simply trying to point out that the current 2nd largest dip on the original graph is in reality quite a bit worse than the largest dip that occurred in 2009ish.  And I’m annoyed that there was any dip at all. US steel Mills did not need to curtail production for the pandemic. It is an industry that could’ve worked right through it and the demand was there. Trump’s tariffs are what gave them the incentive to reduce production and shutter some aging facilities. I’m disillusioned with Biden because he has not yet addressed those tariffs and is seemingly doing nothing to help remedy the supply issues.  Granted there is only so much the government can do but acknowledging there is a problem would be a start. His infrastructure plan only annoys me currently because in this climate such infrastructure spending cost would be 3x higher than it needs to be and it will exacerbate the supply problems. There are more immediate concerns he should be focusing on imo.

Ya, I dunno wtf he is doing. It was a bad idea and still is.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

So are you quoting prices to customers and they basically just tell you that your prices are too high right now?

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So are you quoting prices to customers and they basically just tell you that your prices are too high right now?

Yes that has been happening at a higher frequency but that isn’t extremely out of the ordinary.  Most of what we do has to be done by somebody. Sometimes I’ll lose jobs simply because the customer can find it cheaper somewhere else. It happens. Right now I’m seeing a much higher percentage of elective jobs just being cancelled which is discouraging. But what is really concerning is that some of the jobs, that aren’t elective and have to be done no matter the cost, can’t be done because you can’t get the required materials.  Or the design and specs have to be radically altered which causes other delays and makes things more volatile.  It’s super frustrating knowing you would be doing more jobs if only you could get the materials.

Sales are strong and have been all through the pandemic so that’s good but it could be so much better right now.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes that has been happening at a higher frequency but that isn’t extremely out of the ordinary.  Most of what we do has to be done by somebody. Sometimes I’ll lose jobs simply because the customer can find it cheaper somewhere else. It happens. Right now I’m seeing a much higher percentage of elective jobs just being cancelled which is discouraging. But what is really concerning is that some of the jobs, that aren’t elective and have to be done no matter the cost, can’t be done because you can’t get the required materials.  Or the design and specs have to be radically altered which causes other delays and makes things more volatile.  It’s super frustrating knowing you would be doing more jobs if only you could get the materials.

Sales are strong and have been all through the pandemic so that’s good but it could be so much better right now.

Two words for you

Duct

Tape

Can you just use that?  Ha

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

For which, the next question should be, when did this start?  This didn't start late January 2021.  It started last summer.  If people are dumb enough to believe this is all Joe's fault, then so be it.

As for material shortages.  Is your shortages in large part due to the global container shortages?  If so, that is supposed to start working it's self out over the next few months.  We have some materials that come from China that was caught up in that.  I'm assuming some steal that you would use would too.  NONE of that is either Trump or Joe's fault.  It's just a negative affect of the global pandemic.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I believe it has more to do with the container shortage.  We can't import very much steel because China doesn't have the containers.  It's happening in the plastics business too.  We use two products that come from china and the supply dried up.  It's not because it couldn't be produced.  China didn't have containers to ship it to the US.

In your case, I'm assuming the demand for domestic steel sky rocketed because some industries couldn't get it imported.