Biden's America

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

If diversification was the goal, an Asian female would be the most logical choice.  Would make the court 5-4 male/female and put the one nationality on the court that currently isn’t represented.  

No, it would have to be an Asian-Trans who is also gay with a straight husband. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, it would have to be an Asian-Trans who is also gay with a straight husband. 

Enough talk of your sexual fantasies. :lol:

This is prolly the wrong thread but what up with the recent Jeopardy champion. She (former he) is trans but is in a gay relationship with a woman…..

Does this confuse anybody else? Isn’t that the equivalent of a double negative? Is it really a gay relationship if it’s a former male with a female? So many questions.

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Enough talk of your sexual fantasies. :lol:

This is prolly the wrong thread but what up with the recent Jeopardy champion. She (former he) is trans but is in a gay relationship with a woman…..

Does this confuse anybody else? Isn’t that the equivalent of a double negative? Is it really a gay relationship if it’s a former male with a female? So many questions.

The heart (and penis that is no longer there because there is a vag) wants what the heart (and penis that is no longer there because there is a vag) wants.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If diversification was the goal, an Asian female would be the most logical choice.  Would make the court 5-4 male/female and put the one nationality on the court that currently isn’t represented.  

The word nationality means what nation you are from. First of all, Asia isn't a nation. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have people on the Supreme Court from any of the following countries (not an exhaustive list):

Afghanistan

Albania

Argentina

Australia

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

Cuba

Czech Republic

China

Egypt

Ethiopia

Finland

France

Fiji

Finland

Ghana

Haiti

Honduras

Iran

Iraq

Jamaica

Japan

Jordan

Kenya

Laos

Lebanon

Libya

Madagascar

Malaysia

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Peru

Phillipines

Serbia

Singapore

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Sri Lanka

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Turkey

Uruguay

Venezuela

Vietnam

Zimbabwe

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Sexual orientation and gender identity have nothing to do with each other other than the first is informed, relatively, by the second.

At the end of the day these are just terms and labels, but if she is in a relationship with a woman, that's a "gay" (or lesbian, or however they want to define it) relationship. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Sexual orientation and gender identity have nothing to do with each other other than the first is informed, relatively, by the second.

At the end of the day these are just terms and labels, but if she is in a relationship with a woman, that's a "gay" (or lesbian, or however they want to define it) relationship. 

I will take "Still confused" for 500.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The word nationality means what nation you are from. First of all, Asia isn't a nation. Second, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have people on the Supreme Court from any of the following countries (not an exhaustive list):

Afghanistan

Albania

Argentina

Australia

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

Cuba

Czech Republic

China

Egypt

Ethiopia

Finland

France

Fiji

Finland

Ghana

Haiti

Honduras

Iran

Iraq

Jamaica

Japan

Jordan

Kenya

Laos

Lebanon

Libya

Madagascar

Malaysia

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Norway

Pakistan

Panama

Peru

Phillipines

Serbia

Singapore

South Africa

South Korea

Spain

Sri Lanka

Sweden

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Turkey

Uruguay

Venezuela

Vietnam

Zimbabwe

Maybe not but you can double check for us all.   Funny you took that much time just to have a private chuckle.  Super happy for you with that post though.   Let’s say Asian race then so you don’t get too upset again. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

It’s easy and damned you for not understanding this.  An easy example would be whenever you want to start collecting social security, just identify as a 65 yr old.  If you say you come from the Metaverse, age and time are just a construct and no one can tell you otherwise or they are racist or bigoted, ageist, or some other ‘ist because they are ignorant of how you identify.  

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s easy and damned you for not understanding this.  An easy example would be whenever you want to start collecting social security, just identify as a 65 yr old.  If you say you come from the Metaverse, age and time are just a construct and no one can tell you otherwise or they are racist or bigoted, ageist, or some other ‘ist because they are ignorant of how you identify.  

Sexuality, gender identity, sexual orienation, romantic attraction, and gender expression all exist on a spectrum, and none of them are as simple as male/female. A lot of these things are difficult to grasp for those of us (which to say almost all of us) who grew up understanding these concepts as a simple dichotomy. But the world is more nuanced and complicated than that.

It takes a willingness to try to understand society and your fellow human to really open up to these ideas.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2

Too bad TFG never got around to Infrastructure Week. We need these repairs/replacements yesterday.

Biden admin. announces $27B investment to repair 15,000 bridges: 'It's all about fixing the problem'

The Biden administration on Friday launched a new effort to repair nearly 15,000 bridges across the United States using funds from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

The Bridge Replacement, Rehabilitation, Preservation, Protection, and Construction Program will provide $26.5 billion to state governments, as well as Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, over the next five years, with a separate $825 million for tribal governments in the same time frame.

State and regional governments will receive a total of $5.3 billion for bridge reconstruction and resilience in 2022; tribal governments will receive $165 million.

According to data from the Federal Highway Administration, there are 618,456 bridges across the United States. Of them, 45,023 — or about 7.2% — are considered structurally deficient, and nearly 231,000 of them — more than a third — are in need of repair, according to a report from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

The ASCE bridge report, released as part of a 2021 Infrastructure Report Card, suggests that annual government spending to repair bridges should increase to $22.7 billion from $14.4 billion — figures taken from FHA’s 2019 Status of the Nation's Highways, Bridges, and Transit report.

Friday marks 60 days since Biden signed the $1 trillion bill into law, which provides $550 billion over the next five years to fortify nearly every traditional aspect of U.S. infrastructure — including roads, bridges and freeways — plus a few newer efforts, such as increasing access to high-speed internet and preparing for the effects of climate change.

And not that anyone needs convincing that we need to fix bridges in this country, but this happened today:

Bridge collapse sends cars, bus crashing into ravine in Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH — A bridge collapsed Friday morning in Pittsburgh near Frick Park, causing several vehicles and a bus to crash down into a ravine, Channel 11 News has learned.

“We are monitoring the situation in Pittsburgh and prepared to provide support as needed. Pittsburgh residents: Please stay safe and continue to avoid the area.”

The Port Authority of Allegheny County said a driver and two passengers were on the bus that was on the bridge when it collapsed. All three people are OK.

IJXMDGYTBBGMVG7IEPZXTAEUVQ.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Sexuality, gender identity, sexual orienation, romantic attraction, and gender expression all exist on a spectrum, and none of them are as simple as male/female. A lot of these things are difficult to grasp for those of us (which to say almost all of us) who grew up understanding these concepts as a simple dichotomy. But the world is more nuanced and complicated than that.

It takes a willingness to try to understand society and your fellow human to really open up to these ideas.

This is a really good post. I agree.

Most of my problem with a lot of these things is I don’t want to understand them. Life was so much simpler when there were just boys and girls and they were easily identified by the anatomical parts they were born with. However, I really have tried to understand some of these labels, like non-binary, and discovered I just don’t have the capability. A friend of ours son claims he is non-binary and I have read up on it and had people try to explain it to me and I’m more confused now than I was before I’d even heard of it.

Signed-

A lesbian trapped in a male body.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Most of my problem with a lot of these things is I don’t want to understand them. Life was so much simpler when there were just boys and girls and they were easily identified by the anatomical parts they were born with. However, I really have tried to understand some of these labels, like non-binary, and discovered I just don’t have the capability. A friend of ours son claims he is non-binary and I have read up on it and had people try to explain it to me and I’m more confused now than I was before I’d even heard of it.

Signed-

A lesbian trapped in a male body.

I understand and have some difficulty with this, too. It's difficult to always remember to use preferred pronouns, and I've messed that up a few times. I give my best effort, but it's not natural to me. 

All we can do is make a genuine effort to see those folks as they want to be seen. And hope they understand when we mess up. 

• Plus1 3
58 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If what you are saying is correct, then why doesn’t this thought process carry over to age?   You’ve definitely heard the expression that someone is wise beyond his/her age.  So why can’t that person identify as someone older and get the benefits of being that age? 

A HS kid who is very mentally mature, why can’t they identify as a 21 yr old (who they are mentally like) and legally buy alcohol?   My out of shape body feels like a 65 yr old and I identify with those aches and pains so why can’t I just say I’m 65 and get Medicare benefits and collect social security?  

I get what you are saying in that someone somewhere had those thoughts that being born a man a man or a woman a woman doesn’t make you that.  But what makes that person right?  Science sure doesn’t.  

Are we the only species this stuff applies too?  

I understand the romantic attraction and do believe that peoples minds can be shaped that way from a very early age.  But when people start to tell me that men can have their period or give birth, I kinda draw the line there.   If a guy wants to say he is a girl for whatever reason, fine, that doesn’t make him an actual girl though.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is where a lot of people are, but not everyone is as honest about it as you. But the truth is, a lot of this information is new, and uncomfortable, and quickly evolving. We all make mistakes when it comes to gendering and pronouns, and even having the capacity to understand. 

I work in a DEI field, and it is hard for me to keep up, so it is going to naturally be difficult for folks who live and work in other walks of life. I took a Safe Zone training in 2018 (a training program to encourage inclusivity and awareness of LGBTQ+ issues), and then took it again last month, and a lot of the concepts, terms, and language have already changed. I try to be very intentional with my language but in a conversation with our school's LGBTQ Coordinator a couple weeks ago I said "guys" in reference to a group of people. I called myself on it, and we both laughed because it was an unintentional mistake. She admitted that she still uses the wrong language at times too, and it is her job. It happens. We just need to be willing to learn and grow as humans, and realize that we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect.

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I understand and have some difficulty with this, too. It's difficult to always remember to use preferred pronouns, and I've messed that up a few times. I give my best effort, but it's not natural to me. 

All we can do is make a genuine effort to see those folks as they want to be seen. And hope they understand when we mess up. 

Excellent post.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If what you are saying is correct, then why doesn’t this thought process carry over to age?   You’ve definitely heard the expression that someone is wise beyond his/her age.  So why can’t that person identify as someone older and get the benefits of being that age? 

I'm not sure if this is even a serious question, but I'll play along. Age and gender identity are completely different things. Apples and oranges. Age is a number based on a date which you are born. It is a concrete data point. We all progress in age in a linear fashion every single day (unless you are Benjamin Button). Having said that, ageism is a very real thing, and people often make assumptions about someone else's age based on stereotypes that may or may not be true. There are legal protections against age discrimination for this reason. But, you can't factually say you are a different age than you actually are.

Now, even if you believe that sex is an either/or scenario (even biological sex is not a black and white issue, there are several different chromosome combinations), sex is different than gender. That is the first thing that people often have trouble grasping. Sex assigned at birth is a physical/biological thing. Gender (including who you personally identify, and how you express that identity) is a social construct, often based on traditional norms and expectations. 

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I get what you are saying in that someone somewhere had those thoughts that being born a man a man or a woman a woman doesn’t make you that.  But what makes that person right?  Science sure doesn’t.  

What science are you talking about? Biology? As I mentioned above, biologically there are a variety of chromosomal combinations, not just XX and XY, and some people are born with hormones and internal plumbing that does not match their external hardware. The biology is not as simple as you think it is. Additionally, there is a whole field of social science that explores the concepts of gender dynamics and sexuality. Our understanding of it is continually evolving. So yeah, the science does support the notion of a spectrum of gender identities. 

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Are we the only species this stuff applies too?

Nope. There are a lot of species that have been known to change their sex. There are a lot of species that engage in homosexual activities. Nature is pretty wild.

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But when people start to tell me that men can have their period or give birth, I kinda draw the line there.

Who has been telling you these things?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3