Biden's America

1 hour ago, Ulty said:
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I'm not sure if this is even a serious question, but I'll play along. Age and gender identity are completely different things. Apples and oranges. Age is a number based on a date which you are born. It is a concrete data point. We all progress in age in a linear fashion every single day (unless you are Benjamin Button). Having said that, ageism is a very real thing, and people often make assumptions about someone else's age based on stereotypes that may or may not be true. There are legal protections against age discrimination for this reason. But, you can't factually say you are a different age than you actually are

As you said, age is just a number that shows how long your body has been on this earth.  It doesn’t show how mentally mature you are, or what age you identify with.  There are laws based on arbitrary numbers that really mean nothing.  That said….

Why can’t a mature teenager legally drink.   An arbitrary age to drink alcohol is just that, an arbitrary number.  It’s a number assigned based on the assumption that at 21. Our minds and bodies are developed enough to handle alcohol.   I’m quite certain a certain percentage of the under 21 population is mentally and physically developed enough to handle alcohol or gamble or smoke or buy handguns etc…so why doesn’t the law allow this carve out for those mature beyond their years?   

65 is just an arbitrary number for Medicare and SSI, so why can’t someone who feels like and identifies more with that age group, get those benefits?  Why is there not a carve out for those who identify this way.   There are people who’s bodies develop early or late or degrade early or late based on genetics but we treat them all the same based on a number of years they have been on this earth.  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Huh. These are actually some very fascinating articles. If someone were to read these articles with a preconceived notion of outrage and disgust, they will likely walk away from these articles with even more outrage and disgust. However, starting from a place of open-mindedness and intellectual curiosity, a reader will come away with a better understanding of these concepts and more knowledge (and likely even more questions).

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

As you said, age is just a number that shows how long your body has been on this earth.  It doesn’t show how mentally mature you are, or what age you identify with.  There are laws based on arbitrary numbers that really mean nothing.  That said….

Why can’t a mature teenager legally drink.   An arbitrary age to drink alcohol is just that, an arbitrary number.  It’s a number assigned based on the assumption that at 21. Our minds and bodies are developed enough to handle alcohol.   I’m quite certain a certain percentage of the under 21 population is mentally and physically developed enough to handle alcohol or gamble or smoke or buy handguns etc…so why doesn’t the law allow this carve out for those mature beyond their years?   

65 is just an arbitrary number for Medicare and SSI, so why can’t someone who feels like and identifies more with that age group, get those benefits?  Why is there not a carve out for those who identify this way.   There are people who’s bodies develop early or late or degrade early or late based on genetics but we treat them all the same based on a number of years they have been on this earth.  

These are all very valid and reasonable questions and comments about age dynamics and norms in our society. Drinking age, retirement age, and other age-related statuses are determined by lawmakers and companies, often using statistical data, sometimes possibly arbitrary. This would be an interesting discussion, maybe someone here can do some research to enlighten us about how these age thresholds were determined, and there can be a separate thread about it. But of course none of this is at all germane to the topic of gender identity.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I understand and have some difficulty with this, too. It's difficult to always remember to use preferred pronouns, and I've messed that up a few times. I give my best effort, but it's not natural to me. 

All we can do is make a genuine effort to see those folks as they want to be seen. And hope they understand when we mess up. 

I try my best to not offend people (in the real world anyway, not necessarily here on HB :lol:) but it is all becoming a little convoluted imo. I’m pretty much of the opinion people can do or feel or identify as they see fit but I get a bit more reluctant when it comes to understanding or accepting some of these things. It sort of strikes me like some are trying to make it almost impossible. But I also often identify as an uncaring prick, so there is that :lol:

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I try my best to not offend people (in the real world anyway, not necessarily here on HB :lol:) but it is all becoming a little convoluted imo. I’m pretty much of the opinion people can do or feel or identify as they see fit but I get a bit more reluctant when it comes to understanding or accepting some of these things. It sort of strikes me like some are trying to make it almost impossible. But I also often identify as an uncaring prick, so there is that :lol:

Ya know...it's a really cool feeling, liberating actually, when you stop giving a $h!t about what other people do or how other people identify. If someone is disgusted or confused because they see a transgender person, that's their own f*&king problem. If you (not you specifically JJ, but y'all in general) don't worry about what is in someone's pants or in their bedroom if it doesn't impact you, then you might find life more pleasant. Even if you can't understand or accept the messy complications of gender dynamics, it's not harming anyone just to leave them alone. And most transgender folks and others in the LGBTQ+ community are reasonable people and just want to live their lives (sure some can be unreasonable, but that goes in all communities).

So you can still be an uncaring prick but yet be cool at the same time, right?

It's when people (I'll go ahead and say Republicans, mostly) go out of their way to marginalize or demean these folks and try to regulate/legislate the sexual activities and bodies of others that it becomes a problem. That's where the fight is. 

• Plus1 1

If you can pick your gender you can pick your age, it is that simple.

And we should be able to pick both if we want. 

Society tells us we are an adult at 18 and that we are middle aged at 45 and old at 65.

Just like society tells girls to play with dolls and boys play with trucks.

Hell we even invented "tween" and we say dogs age 7 years to our one...

I gotta run...off to my T-ball tourney, looking to go 10/10 with 10 homers...again.  Love being 6!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If you can pick your gender you can pick your age, it is that simple.

And we should be able to pick both if we want. 

Society tells us we are an adult at 18 and that we are middle aged at 45 and old at 65.

Just like society tells girls to play with dolls and boys play with trucks.

Hell we even invented "tween" and we say dogs age 7 years to our one...

I gotta run...off to my T-ball tourney, looking to go 10/10 with 10 homers...again.  Love being 6!!!

Hate to tell ya this but you’re only going 9/10 with 7 homers off the T-ball stand…again. Doesn’t matter what age you identify as :lol:

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Hate to tell ya this but you’re only going 9/10 with 7 homers off the T-ball stand…again. Doesn’t matter what age you identify as :lol:

It never fails that you hit the rubber T instead of the ball and the stupid "old" ump (who is only 16 that is old to me!) doesn't call it a dead ball!  OPEN YOUR EYES...GRAMPS!

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, commando said:

men identifying as women, women identifying as men, teach identifying as a t-ball hero, and trump identifying as still president.   starting to think those of us who are still sane are in the minority.

Hero, I like that!!

But...are you saying men should not be able to identify as women and that we should not be able to pick our age?

Transgendered and homosexuals must be the dumbest people on the planet for "picking" a life of full of ridicule, resentment, and being relegated to second class in a lot of social arenas. 

:sarcasm

As soon as a person realizes that these people aren't picking their gender identity or sexual orientation but realizing the way of life that makes them feel like they aren't living a lie it's easier to not be such douche bags about it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Transgendered and homosexuals must be the dumbest people on the planet for "picking" a life of full of ridicule, resentment, and being relegated to second class in a lot of social arenas. 

As soon as a person realizes that these people aren't picking their gender identity or sexual orientation but realizing the way of life that makes them feel like they aren't living a lie it's easier to not be such douche bags about it.

No one picks to be gay…maybe bi?  Not sure

But you pick to change your gender and age, which we all agree is okay.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I don’t have any trouble understanding or accepting transgender or homosexuals. Some people are just different than the plumbing they were born with. It’s some of these other things I have trouble wrapping my head around.

Maybe you’re the person that can explain non-binary to me? My understanding is the person doesn’t identify as male or female and wants to be referred to as “they” or “them”. Okay, fine. Maybe it’s just my old fashioned binary brain but if they’re not male or female….I….I….I don’t get it. And I’m not sure what that is supposed to tell me about them or what it really means. Why do they feel it is important to let people know that?