Biden's America

29 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t have any trouble understanding or accepting transgender or homosexuals. Some people are just different than the plumbing they were born with. It’s some of these other things I have trouble wrapping my head around.

Maybe you’re the person that can explain non-binary to me? My understanding is the person doesn’t identify as male or female and wants to be referred to as “they” or “them”. Okay, fine. Maybe it’s just my old fashioned binary brain but if they’re not male or female….I….I….I don’t get it. And I’m not sure what that is supposed to tell me about them or what it really means. Why do they feel it is important to let people know that?

The other confusing part for me, and someone correct me if my English is off, but they/them refer to a plural and a single person is using it.   That person is a single individual so why use a plural?  :huh:

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The other confusing part for me, and someone correct me if my English is off, but they/them refer to a plural and a single person is using it.   That person is a single individual so why use a plural?  :huh:

I’m definitely not the right person to ask :dunno:lol: 

I never liked the his or her/he or she construction. As in "If a person needs to get a cavity filled, he or she needs to see a dentist."  It was always simpler to say  "if a person needs to get a cavity filled, they need to see a dentist."  It wasn't grammatically correct, but we frequently defaulted there in speech if not always in writing. 

My understanding is that the Oxford linguists are now shifting to a gender neutral "they" and giving up the rule that it has to be plural.

So that's the way it would work with a binary individual. 

• Plus1 2

Not sure if this was discussed elsewhere but I have been following the story of the Trans swimmer for Penn competing on the women's swim team and breaking records. I always felt like their would be a backlash on fairness from women or women's groups. That appears to be happening now. There are a lot of interesting points about how testosterone suppression does not completely take away the male advantages in competition. So what is the solution? Do we allow all genders to compete together based on some ability criteria? A, B and C leagues so to speak?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t have any trouble understanding or accepting transgender or homosexuals. Some people are just different than the plumbing they were born with. It’s some of these other things I have trouble wrapping my head around.

Maybe you’re the person that can explain non-binary to me? My understanding is the person doesn’t identify as male or female and wants to be referred to as “they” or “them”. Okay, fine. Maybe it’s just my old fashioned binary brain but if they’re not male or female….I….I….I don’t get it. And I’m not sure what that is supposed to tell me about them or what it really means. Why do they feel it is important to let people know that?

I think you understand it fine.  Non-binary means just what you said. 

It is hard in our culture for non-binary people to find a space because like you said, there really isn't room for it in our culture.   Non-binary folks know they are not female the same way you do.  They also know that they are not male the same way your wife does.  These people aren't new phenomenon, they have been around for centuries in many cultures.  Those cultures usually had names for them though so it didn't seem so "weird" to people.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, nic said:

Not sure if this was discussed elsewhere but I have been following the story of the Trans swimmer for Penn competing on the women's swim team and breaking records. I always felt like their would be a backlash on fairness from women or women's groups. That appears to be happening now. There are a lot of interesting points about how testosterone suppression does not completely take away the male advantages in competition. So what is the solution? Do we allow all genders to compete together based on some ability criteria? A, B and C leagues so to speak?

The girls I teach/coach hate the idea of a dude becoming a girl and beating them.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What's there to get? I'm not being condescending, just asking honestly what you're getting at. They don't identify with either gender. That's it. If you get that there's nothing else to get. That's for them, and they likely hope that you'll honor and respect that but they likely won't be surprised if you don't or if you can't. 

Take it out of the realm of gender and it's easier to understand imo. What do you identify as in life? A business owner? A good citizen? A Christian? What if you still identify as a Christian but you start believing things that 90+% of Christians don't believe? They'll probably say you're not one, but your identification with that label has nothing to do with them and isn't dependent on their approval. That's for you to be able to navigate life however you want or need.

6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

"I think someone who works really hard should enjoy their vacation."

"I've got a friend who lives in Texas. They love tacos."

"Could you please let whoever left their umbrella in the office know that they can find it in the lost and found?"

5 hours ago, nic said:

Trans people participating in sports at a high level is something we really haven't figured out how to wrestle with effectively, and honestly I don't know what the solution is. It's a very minor issue overall, but doesn't mean it's not something to figure out especially in the case of trans women having an unfair advantage.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

What's there to get? I'm not being condescending, just asking honestly what you're getting at. They don't identify with either gender. That's it. If you get that there's nothing else to get. That's for them, and they likely hope that you'll honor and respect that but they likely won't be surprised if you don't or if you can't. 

Take it out of the realm of gender and it's easier to understand imo. What do you identify as in life? A business owner? A good citizen? A Christian? What if you still identify as a Christian but you start believing things that 90+% of Christians don't believe? They'll probably say you're not one, but your identification with that label has nothing to do with them and isn't dependent on their approval. That's for you to be able to navigate life however you want or need.

"I think someone who works really hard should enjoy their vacation."

"I've got a friend who lives in Texas. They love tacos."

"Could you please let whoever left their umbrella in the office know that they can find it in the lost and found?"

Trans people participating in sports at a high level is something we really haven't figured out how to wrestle with effectively, and honestly I don't know what the solution is. It's a very minor issue overall, but doesn't mean it's not something to figure out especially in the case of trans women having an unfair advantage.

This is why age and gender should be fluid, you nailed it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 1/28/2022 at 7:53 AM, knapplc said:

Too bad TFG never got around to Infrastructure Week. We need these repairs/replacements yesterday.

Biden admin. announces $27B investment to repair 15,000 bridges: 'It's all about fixing the problem'

The Biden administration on Friday launched a new effort to repair nearly 15,000 bridges across the United States using funds from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.

The Bridge Replacement, Rehabilitation, Preservation, Protection, and Construction Program will provide $26.5 billion to state governments, as well as Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, over the next five years, with a separate $825 million for tribal governments in the same time frame.

State and regional governments will receive a total of $5.3 billion for bridge reconstruction and resilience in 2022; tribal governments will receive $165 million.

According to data from the Federal Highway Administration, there are 618,456 bridges across the United States. Of them, 45,023 — or about 7.2% — are considered structurally deficient, and nearly 231,000 of them — more than a third — are in need of repair, according to a report from the American Society of Civil Engineers.

The ASCE bridge report, released as part of a 2021 Infrastructure Report Card, suggests that annual government spending to repair bridges should increase to $22.7 billion from $14.4 billion — figures taken from FHA’s 2019 Status of the Nation's Highways, Bridges, and Transit report.

Friday marks 60 days since Biden signed the $1 trillion bill into law, which provides $550 billion over the next five years to fortify nearly every traditional aspect of U.S. infrastructure — including roads, bridges and freeways — plus a few newer efforts, such as increasing access to high-speed internet and preparing for the effects of climate change.

And not that anyone needs convincing that we need to fix bridges in this country, but this happened today:

Bridge collapse sends cars, bus crashing into ravine in Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH — A bridge collapsed Friday morning in Pittsburgh near Frick Park, causing several vehicles and a bus to crash down into a ravine, Channel 11 News has learned.

“We are monitoring the situation in Pittsburgh and prepared to provide support as needed. Pittsburgh residents: Please stay safe and continue to avoid the area.”

The Port Authority of Allegheny County said a driver and two passengers were on the bus that was on the bridge when it collapsed. All three people are OK.

IJXMDGYTBBGMVG7IEPZXTAEUVQ.jpg

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

I am always skeptical of videos from folks (especially on FOX) who say they are democrats that are upset with the direction of the party. This guy speaks out against Biden, Harris, Afghanistan, CRT, gender identity, you name it. Yet he claims to have actively campaigned for Biden and even participated in the Biden victory video. It caught my eye because I know other Biden voters that sound like this guy.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-voter-explains-disgusted-with-president

I tried to google him and saw some of his Twitter posts. He Seems conservative to me, but I could only find so much. If this guy is for real Dems are in trouble. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

In theory, Pennsylvania could be spending billions more to update aging roads and bridges.

But instead, the money is being rerouted to help fund State Police operations. The convoluted funding scheme has long been criticized by Harrisburg. But a new audit has given a more detailed picture of where the money is going.

Pennsylvania has almost 3,000 bridges classified as structurally deficient, though state Auditor General Eugene DePasquale said Thursday that tally has actually been halved since 2008.

Over six years, $4.2 billion that could have helped fix those bridges has instead gone to State Police, he said.

Swing and a miss.  Try again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1