Biden's America

Speaking of lumber, that supply chain issue that sent prices spiking last summer leveled and lowered pretty quickly (in my limited experience), and if you had the luxury of timing, you could ride it out. As I understand current inflation, it also traces to supply chain disruptions and the huge influx of government stimulus cash into the system. That would appear to be a bubble you can track as it works itself through back to something near normal. So the test will be whether prices are lowered as the economy adjusts, or whether some companies get too attached to the increased revenues. That's why you keep your eye on General Mills, since their prices for staple foodstuffs most directly affect people who can't afford to simply ride things out. 

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here in Northern California, there was a big run on N95 masks prior to the pandemic because of the wildfires. It was hard to find them, and when you did there was some serious price gouging because hey, supply and demand. 

But on an unrelated trip into one of our lumber stores, I found they not only had a large, prominently displayed rack of N95s, they were actually priced below the normal price because hey, the good of the community.

So some of us gave the lumber yard (one of four in town) a big shout out and thanks on social media, and given the option I've taken more of my business to them.

This is what I'm talking about when I'm suggesting doing the good thing can also be good for business. We shouldn't assume that grabbing the extra cash at every opportunity is just the nature and duty of a smart business. 

That lumber yard could do that because they were making money on everything else they are selling. 

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Speaking of lumber, that supply chain issue that sent prices spiking last summer leveled and lowered pretty quickly (in my limited experience), and if you had the luxury of timing, you could ride it out. As I understand current inflation, it also traces to supply chain disruptions and the huge influx of government stimulus cash into the system. That would appear to be a bubble you can track as it works itself through back to something near normal. So the test will be whether prices are lowered as the economy adjusts, or whether some companies get too attached to the increased revenues. That's why you keep your eye on General Mills, since their prices for staple foodstuffs most directly affect people who can't afford to simply ride things out. 

That will be interesting. However, some of their costs won’t go down like labor. You don’t raise someone from $15 to $20 only to drop them back to $15 when things get more normal.  

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here in Northern California, there was a big run on N95 masks prior to the pandemic because of the wildfires. It was hard to find them, and when you did there was some serious price gouging because hey, supply and demand. 

But on an unrelated trip into one of our lumber stores, I found they not only had a large, prominently displayed rack of N95s, they were actually priced below the normal price because hey, the good of the community.

So some of us gave the lumber yard (one of four in town) a big shout out and thanks on social media, and given the option I've taken more of my business to them.

This is what I'm talking about when I'm suggesting doing the good thing can also be good for business. We shouldn't assume that grabbing the extra cash at every opportunity is just the nature and duty of a smart business. 

Obviously things like this that businesses do create goodwill that is much more valuable than any short term profit taking would be. I do things like this all the time for my local customers and homeowners and handymen. But I am a lot more hesitant to offer a “deal” to my largest national corporate customers. It’s not that I go out of my way to screw them but I know for a fact that they would put me out of business, and laugh while doing so, if they thought it would make them one extra dollar or make one of their purchasing agents look good to their corporate people. Unfortunately that seems to be the status quo for large corporations. I haven’t seen many examples of your example with large corps. Would it make sense for them to do things like that? Yes it would, but I’m sure not going to expect it or hold my breath.

FYI, I sell to the guy next door all the way up to the world’s largest meat processor. I pretty much hate and despise the latter. I’ve seen them F over way too many small businesses like mine. I take what I can get from them. Maybe that makes me a bad guy but I have no trouble sleeping at night.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That will be interesting. However, some of their costs won’t go down like labor. You don’t raise someone from $15 to $20 only to drop them back to $15 when things get more normal.  

True. The argument is that wages have simply been elevated to where they should have been for years. The gap between income and spending power has been widening for decades. Again, if lowering post-inflation prices but maintaining wages means a dip in executive compensation ratios, that isn't an excuse not to do it. Massive profits still remain. The term "anti-business" is used a little too flippantly, typically to get working Americans to vote against their own self-interest. 

• Plus1 1

It's astounding at the level of pure stupidity of not only the thing attempting to move it's lips and complete a sentence in this video but moreso of the actual living breathing good ol' 'Merican voters who went and voted this total moron into public office in the first place.  Unbelievable that this is what we are seeing and hearing from a sitting member congress no less.  What a time to be alive.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's astounding at the level of pure stupidity of not only the thing attempting to move it's lips and complete a sentence in this video but moreso of the actual living breathing good ol' 'Merican voters who went and voted this total moron into public office in the first place.  Unbelievable that this is what we are seeing and hearing from a sitting member congress no less.  What a time to be alive.

New start time for war? - Game Chat - Portal Quest Community

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

These people gain traction because they've conjured up a boogie man whether it be the Deep State, Hunter Biden, the media, immigrants, "communism", trans, gays, BLM, AOC, Muslims, Buddhists, and on and on and on.  The people who support her are far from the tough guys they think they are.  They turn to this s#!t because psychologically it's less scary to have a boogie man than to drink the reality of life neat.  

• Fire 1

Joe Biden wrapped up his speech last night by saying the State of the Union is stronger than ever because of the American people's resolve.

That's a guaranteed applause line, but boy did it hit me wrong.

Considering Ukraine and much of the outside world, Americans are the most whiny a$$ b!^@hes on the planet, and insist on squandering our wealth and opportunity for the most self-absorbed and small-minded reasons possible. 

• Plus1 3