Biden's America

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could be wrong here, but unaccompanied minors aren’t the ones being shipped to DC.   Therefore that money wouldn’t go either if that’s correct. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Cancelling 10,000 in loan debt!

Nice!  I can only assume that is all loans, right?

The smart play now is to have your college aged kids take out exactly $10k in student loans and put it straight into the market.   It’s free seed money for an investment account. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thrilled to get some relief on my student loans. My wife and I will have more assets than debt for the first time since we took out these loans (I'm 31, she's 33). We did what you are supposed to do to keep costs down; we both worked full-time all through college, paid as many expenses as possible out-of-pocket, and went to an in-state public university (one that advertises itself as being notoriously affordable). It still has taken all this time and unprecedented relief to get our debt down to about $10k remaining. Very happy to see a light at the end of that tunnel.

My gripe about the forgiveness conversation is that nothing is being done about what caused this situation in the first place. The cost of higher education will remain a joke, and will continue to get worse. Maybe some relief on that will come with the re-worked repayment process, as it seems that in the future you will only be required to pay up to 5% of discretionary income for a maximum of 10 years, but that hardly seems like the best answer to this problem.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I'm thrilled to get some relief on my student loans. My wife and I will have more assets than debt for the first time since we took out these loans (I'm 31, she's 33). We did what you are supposed to do to keep costs down; we both worked full-time all through college, paid as many expenses as possible out-of-pocket, and went to an in-state public university (one that advertises itself as being notoriously affordable). It still has taken all this time and unprecedented relief to get our debt down to about $10k remaining. Very happy to see a light at the end of that tunnel.

My gripe about the forgiveness conversation is that nothing is being done about what caused this situation in the first place. The cost of higher education will remain a joke, and will continue to get worse. Maybe some relief on that will come with the re-worked repayment process, as it seems that in the future you will only be required to pay up to 5% of discretionary income for a maximum of 10 years, but that hardly seems like the best answer to this problem.

I agree. This is a small bandaid on a gaping bullet wound from a 50 caliber at point blank range. 

The source of the problem needs fixed. 

My daughter graduated from dental school in may. Got a nice high paying job in Atlanta. She won’t start working till at least October 1st because of the entire licensing process in Georgia. So, she’s still borrowing money while sitting at home with her degree and training. 

the entire education process and finding it is frustrating. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree. This is a small bandaid on a gaping bullet wound from a 50 caliber at point blank range. 

The source of the problem needs fixed. 

My daughter graduated from dental school in may. Got a nice high paying job in Atlanta. She won’t start working till at least October 1st because of the entire licensing process in Georgia. So, she’s still borrowing money while sitting at home with her degree and training. 

the entire education process and finding it is frustrating. 

I still don’t see how the rest of us, which included millions upon millions who never went to college, basically help pay the debts of those who took out loans for school.   It’s penalizing those who paid off their loans and or paid for school directly, didn’t go to college.   

Maybe we should allow the rest of us to take $10-20k off our mortgages or credit card debt if one has it? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I still don’t see how the rest of us, which included millions upon millions who never went to college, basically help pay the debts of those who took out loans for school.   It’s penalizing those who paid off their loans and or paid for school directly, didn’t go to college.   

Maybe we should allow the rest of us to take $10-20k off our mortgages or credit card debt if one has it? 

I'm not fully onboard with the relief idea. I'd rather, if the government is going to help more, they try to bring down school costs. I also don't think parents should be able to get federal parent loans for their kids without passing some criteria, like ability to pay or some kind of credit worthiness.

That said, we all pay for stuff we don't see a tangible benefit from all the time. I'm helping pay for people with kids to get child tax credits. This has existed since the late 90s and they are at $3,000+ now. That's $54,000 over a kid's lifetime.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not fully onboard with the relief idea. I'd rather, if the government is going to help more, they try to bring down school costs. I also don't think parents should be able to get federal parent loans for their kids without passing some criteria, like ability to pay or some kind of credit worthiness.

That said, we all pay for stuff we don't see a tangible benefit from all the time. I'm helping pay for people with kids to get child tax credits. This has existed since the late 90s and they are at $3,000+ now. That's $54,000 over a kid's lifetime.

I’m not sure how I feel about it either.  I am 100% on board if the govt forgives loans of people taking very important jobs that need an influx of workers: teaching, nursing, social work, etc.  I’m also okay with paying tuition for trade schools as part of an infrastructure plan.

But I can’t honestly say I’m for giving money to the person that majored in 13th Century Literature that can’t find a job. 

19 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m not sure how I feel about it either.  I am 100% on board if the govt forgives loans of people taking very important jobs that need an influx of workers: teaching, nursing, social work, etc.  I’m also okay with paying tuition for trade schools as part of an infrastructure plan.

But I can’t honestly say I’m for giving money to the person that majored in 13th Century Literature that can’t find a job. 

Way WAY more people should be going to community college and that would be a good place for more government assistance. I did it and took math and science classes there at a fraction of the cost of UNL. 

And way more parents who have to take on loans themselves for their kids’ college need to learn to tell their kids no when they want to go out of state to get an art degree. 

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Way WAY more people should be going to community college and that would be a good place for more government assistance. I did it and took math and science classes there at a fraction of the cost of UNL. 

And way more parents who have to take on loans themselves for their kids’ college need to learn to tell their kids no when they want to go out of state to get an art degree. 

My son took the Community College route, but went out of town to at least make a life experience out of it. We found A LOT of parents taking the same route, either to save money before transferring to a University, or to ease in kids unlikely to have been accepted to more preferred colleges. Or both.

The stigma is definitely off community colleges; they are a popular option and the ones around us are thriving with new construction and respected professors.

My daughter made up the slack by going to a ridiculously expensive private school back east that has rescinded much of her financial aid while raising tuition. 

I don't know how much financial assistance you'd need for Santa Barbara City College: tuition is $660 a semester.

But renting a room in Santa Barbara?  Five guys pay over $1,000 a month to share a two bedroom apartment. And you pay for the full year, Christmas and summer break included. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My son took the Community College route, but went out of town to at least make a life experience out of it. We found A LOT of parents taking the same route, either to save money before transferring to a University, or to ease in kids unlikely to have been accepted to more preferred colleges. Or both.

The stigma is definitely off community colleges; they are a popular option and the ones around us are thriving with new construction and respected professors.

My daughter made up the slack by going to a ridiculously expensive private school back east that has rescinded much of her financial aid while raising tuition. 

My First Job post Bachelors Degree: 30,000/Year

My First Job post Associates Degree: 25/hr

My Community College degree cost probably 1/10th my bachelors even with an athletic scholarship. 

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

But you see so clearly how your contributions for billionaire nesting doll yachts is the greatest thing for the country.  

image.png.0887316a8a7258f28ab37247eed02909.png

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My First Job post Bachelors Degree: 30,000/Year

My First Job post Associates Degree: 25/hr

My Community College degree cost probably 1/10th my bachelors even with an athletic scholarship. 

I try to stay out of parent/child arguments at school.  But there is one story that still pisses me off.  I stayed out of it, but I regret that I did.

I was teaching a Small Engines class and had a rep from a diesel mechanic training program come talk to the class.  There was a freshman that was wide-eyed the whole time and you could just see on his face that he was excited about it and had a passion for it.  He stuck around and asked questions, couldn't thank me enough for letting him meet the guy, etc.  I was so proud that this kid might have found his thing!

The next day, the kid comes to class looking like his dog just died.  I asked him what was going on and he seemed down.  He proceeded to tell me that he got into a fight with his dad when he got home the night before and told him what he wanted to do.  The dad, more or less, told him he will go to a four-year school and focus on his business degree.  The kid was flat out depressed about it.

The worst part, the kid was good with tools.  He was a very hard worker.  But not the best "academic".  He probably went to get a degree.  But instead of starting debt free with programs available and making around $60,000 a year at the age of 20, he is probably a night manager at Casey's Gas Station making $40,000 a year with a s#!t ton of debt.

Still pisses me off!